Making Cuts

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Making Cuts

Post by Bushman »

Got this link from Zymurgy Bob author of "Making Fine Spirits" on another forum he states that it is one of the best articles on cuts, and I have to agree with him.
http://issuu.com/artisanspiritmag/docs/ ... 008_web/27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Making Cuts

Post by moosemilk »

Interesting read and sure explains it very well. Thanks, Bushman! Definitely recommend others to read.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Might be a nice read if I could figure out how to navigate their publishing application. I can't read it without zooming in and when I do that, most of it disappears from the screen. Is there a regular web page version of the article?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Finally found a way to display it in a larger format. Doesn't really go into the "how to" of making cuts, but gives good information about the composition of the cuts and the compounds found in them. The article following that one also seems interesting, but I haven't read the entire article yet - "Resting Spirits".

Thanks for the link Bushman.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Might be a nice read if I could figure out how to navigate their publishing application. I can't read it without zooming in and when I do that, most of it disappears from the screen. Is there a regular web page version of the article?
+1
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Bear (and anyone else), you can change the page format by clicking the little "page" shape at the bottom right and then zoom, if need be, with the little slide bar at the bottom left. Best way I found to scroll was with the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard. The scroll bar on the screen seems a little too touchy.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I agree we already know how to make the cuts but it does a good job explaining the chemistry.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Bushman, hope you read the second article too - "Resting Spirits". I found it to be of even more interest than the one about cuts. I think we've touched on "resting" here on the forums quite a bit, but never had it as well defined as in this article.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Interesting that someone has a patent on adding ethyl acetate to young bourbon to make it taste like old bourbon. I hope no ones really doing that! Ethyl acetate is an ester of ethanol and acetic acid and is formed in the barrel over long term aging. I would never add any foreign BS into a whiskey, but it is fun trying to find a way to prod mother nature along faster LOL (HD's nuke threads, dildo threads, oxygenation, heat cycling etc etc etc)
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

A good supplemental read.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Bushman, hope you read the second article too - "Resting Spirits". I found it to be of even more interest than the one about cuts. I think we've touched on "resting" here on the forums quite a bit, but never had it as well defined as in this article.
Haven't finished it but will do so after the 4th!
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Good read on both articles. Thanks Bushman.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Very interesting thanks for posting!

B