Arrest in Delaware USA for sale of hobby scale still

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Arrest in Delaware USA for sale of hobby scale still

Post by masonsjax »

http://www.wdel.com/news/date-agents-co ... 1755f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Arrest in Delaware USA for sale of hobby scale still

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

And they took his corn. Bastards.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

To make matters worse, it seems like the guy ran a flute and not just a simple pot still... :cry:
Just shows one can never be too careful..
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

What is this? Bait and switch? propaganda? hyperbole?

They show a picture of a drop-dead gorgeous, 6 plate, stainless flute, all decked out with about a dozen tri clamps and a parrot standing on a high end custom boiler, and the caption says "A sample of the still agents said they confiscated." The one they actually stole from the poor bastard is more likely one of those Chinese units with a tiny worm mounted on top of the 4 liter stock pot boiler. But that wouldn't inflame public opinion against the heinous criminal distiller like this expensive, high tech lookin', pile of bling. This suggests that he must be making good money at his moonshining to afford gear like that.

Don't they have any real crime to deal with in Delaware? They gotta harass our brother for trying to improve his quality of life in some small way? How many cops they got reading online auctions looking for used illegal hardware? How much used illegal hardware can there be? If they found somebody selling Abrams tanks or plutonium by the pound, I would think that was a legitimate use of law enforcement resources, but this is bullshit. Get some perspective, Delaware.

Assholes.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Sorry for the rant. I shouldn't read this kind of shit before coffee in the morning.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

That was his actual still from Mile Hi. He's a member on here, or was. Last logged in back in Feb.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

They sell stills at the local homebrew shop, there's 3 of them in the front window right now. How is this illegal.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Jimbo wrote:They sell stills at the local homebrew shop, there's 3 of them in the front window right now. How is this illegal.
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe you have to have a license to sell stills idk
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Each state has their own set of laws, what is perfectly legal (selling distillation equipment) in one state may be illegal in another.
This is without even getting into the Federal laws.
It's perfectly legal to buy, sell and own equipment according to my state law.
It's a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $250 here to use it without a license.
It's still Federally illegal to use it but not to own or buy / sell it.
The article makes me think it's illegal to possess the equipment there according to that state's laws.

There's a state by state list of this kind of thing over on the HDA website IIRC...
Yeah, it's here:
https://www.hobbydistillersassociation. ... s-by-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Edit:
Just read my state's stand and it's a lot worse than what I remembered:

Every person who shall sell or offer for sale, or transport in any manner, any spirituous liquor, without government stamp or seal attached thereto, or who shall operate without a license, any still or other device for the production of spirituous liquor, or shall have in his or her possession or under his or her control any mash capable of being distilled into spirituous liquor except as provided in RCW 66.12.130, shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall upon his or her first conviction be fined not less than five hundred dollars and confined in the county jail not less than six months, and upon second and subsequent conviction shall be fined not less than one thousand dollars and confined in the county jail not less than one year.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

:lol: :lol: Tell us how you really feel Skow!

meanwhile in Canada, possessing a still without licensing is 500,000 and 5 years on the Excise tax act.

I have on good authority a fellow in my home city has in his possession a letter from Excise Canada saying that he is allowed to import and sell home distilling equipment.... :wtf: so the law applies equally to different people here...or differently to equal people.

i'm with you all the way Skow. I can't believe the Delaware cops have nothing better to do. I'm guessing we are missing the part where he was selling perhaps?

don't yell don't sell. words to live by.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Plc Ryan
Novice

Post by Plc Ryan »

Unless you are really up to snuff with your particular regions laws and know for 100% it's legal why would you post this on the internet? I was searching around on kijiji earlier (Canada's Craigs list) and found a still for sale just searching for copper pipe. I think some people just want to get caught.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Plc Ryan wrote:Unless you are really up to snuff with your particular regions laws and know for 100% it's legal why would you post this on the internet? I was searching around on kijiji earlier (Canada's Craigs list) and found a still for sale just searching for copper pipe. I think some people just want to get caught.
There's some things ought to be done after dark and damned little said about them .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Plc Ryan
Novice

Post by Plc Ryan »

Truckinbutch wrote:
Plc Ryan wrote:Unless you are really up to snuff with your particular regions laws and know for 100% it's legal why would you post this on the internet? I was searching around on kijiji earlier (Canada's Craigs list) and found a still for sale just searching for copper pipe. I think some people just want to get caught.
There's some things ought to be done after dark and damned little said about them .
Couldn't agree more
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

I don't think the ATF actually search's Craig's list for this type of stuff but I do absolutely believe there are a whole bunch of "Holier than thou" ass wipes that cant keep their noses on their own faces that will call in to the authorities on stuff like this. Once the call is made the Public Officials are obligated to act. I'm in total agreement with TB and Ryan. As much as we think this is practice is out of the closet and accepted practice, "IT"S NOT". This is illegal on the Federal and State level. I feel for the guy and surely hope he wasn't selling product. There was no mention of that.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I wonder if the confiscated still will be sold by the police :?:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Pays to look into ya local laws before putting something up for public sale. Oz for instance has very little in the way of state laws regarding this but federally it does. What I can tell here you could sell that still but not on that kettle, guess you could sell it with a "mash tun" boiler. I don't know about every state here as I've only needed to look into two but it makes sense to see where you stand before exposing yourself like this guy did especially if a free fuel licence he could cancel after the sale would have got him off the hook. All that said good Lord surely they can find better things to do than busting someone for selling a still without a licence, sheez .
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Sad :(
NeillNI
Novice

Post by NeillNI »

Easier to just think of it as illegal, and stick with that, regardless of the morality of the actual law.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Aren't there inner cities overrun with drugs and poverty? Hope the charges are dropped or he gets a small slap on the wrist, just.hooe the judge throws it out because that's a waste of resources.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

NeillNI wrote:Easier to just think of it as illegal, and stick with that, regardless of the morality of the actual law.
Slavery was legal - until a few years ago.

Homosexuality was a prisonable offence (Oscar Wilde did years in Reading Jail)

Moral Laws ?

- WIthout protest on moral grounds - we have no sense of right and wrong. We are just serfs - at the whim of the hierachy.

Read 1984.

- I'm missing something clearly, but if you really believe that - what are you doing here ? :?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Laws are the reflection of how we want to treat each other.
In democracies they are made by the government and sanctioned by the parliaments.
So ideally the law is your own opinion of what is right or wrong.

Give or take an inch.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Kareltje wrote:Laws are the reflection of how we want to treat each other.
In democracies they are made by the government and sanctioned by the parliaments.
So ideally the law is your own opinion of what is right or wrong.

Give or take an inch.

Give ot take an inch? You show me a truly democratic nation and I will eat my hat.

It doesn't exist. Government supports big business over its citizens 9 times out of ten. How is that democratic?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Read "Animal farm" Some animals are more equal than others.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Ain't no dam game.
Loose lips sink ships

So I'm tole
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

goose eye wrote:Ain't no dam game.
Loose lips sink ships

So I'm tole
Those that fail to heed this warning tend to suffer consequences . This is still an illegal hobby even if the political climate has become more mellow . March too close to the band wagon and you can still get hit with a horn .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Plc Ryan
Novice

Post by Plc Ryan »

goose eye wrote:Ain't no dam game.
Loose lips sink ships

So I'm tole
This might be my favourite goose eye quote to date, and honestly, couldn't sum it up better. I agree with what everyone is saying just treat it as illegal because in 9/10 places it is and laws are always murky. Loose lips...
Bvritr
Novice

Post by Bvritr »

WIski wrote:I don't think the ATF actually search's Craig's list for this type of stuff but I do absolutely believe there are a whole bunch of "Holier than thou" ass wipes that cant keep their noses on their own faces that will call in to the authorities on stuff like this. Once the call is made the Public Officials are obligated to act. I'm in total agreement with TB and Ryan. As much as we think this is practice is out of the closet and accepted practice, "IT"S NOT". This is illegal on the Federal and State level. I feel for the guy and surely hope he wasn't selling product. There was no mention of that.
Cant speak for the ATF but any good property crimes detective will spend a bit of time each day on Craigslist and local Facebook selling sites. Ive seen photos taken of stolen property inside of the thiefs car and thiefs taking orders for items online.
I do hope this guy gets off with a slap on the wrist and a lesson learned.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

His username was "TedL". He last visited the forums February 5, 2017.

Unfortunately he passed away January 20, 2018. The obituary asks for gifts to be sent to attackaddiction.org so I can only presume he struggled during his life.

RIP. I'll add him to the Angel's Share group.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/delaw ... &fhid=7886
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

And only aged 32 , that sure is sad to read
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I found this on YouTube a while back, a moving live rendition with an apt title. Instead of posting to 'whats your music', I offer it up here to a fallen brother.

“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer