Moonshiners on Discovery Channel

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Re: Moonshiners on Discovery Channel

Post by kenfyoozed »

you know.... ive been following this thread and and the show..... and was thinking they should show a real production distillery. But dirty jobs did, and it was good to watch and a bit informative. But we all know which one would stand out in the viewers mind, and which one they would group us ALL into. Sad but true.......... :thumbdown:
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

rockchucker22 wrote: Even better the guy just bear hugs the top of the still yanks it off and the he's running again, can you say third degree burns!
You are right! I was is such dismay that I didn't even think about that! LOL :crazy:
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HungoverHog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HungoverHog »

My favorite part was when his ABV dropped and he poured more sugar in the boiler, put the cap back on and said it would increase the ABV at the out put! LOL :esurprised:

It truly is a damned shame that people are watching this and thinking that this is how its done........................... :(
I thought I heard that. I thought maybe I missed something and didn't want to rewind it to see so I let it go. This show is a joke.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

The number-one nonfiction media company.
This is what it says at the bottom of their Homepage, in very small print.
I do all my own stunts
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

Be right back, I have to go add more sugar to the boiler, the ABV was a little low on the first half.....

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

What a dumb ass, and he's captain of their fire department, how embarrassing.

Bull
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Bull Rider wrote: HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

What a dumb ass, and he's captain of their fire department, how embarrassing.
Bull
Ha... Ha... Climax..... Ha ha....

I liked the part when they was interviewin popcorn.. He said, "Hell, I made all kinds of likker.... The fightin kind, the lovin kind. I gave a guy a jug of my likker, 2 weeks later, he was divorced." :clap:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

HungoverHog wrote:I liked when the hunter walks by and they duck behind some barrels but the camera man stays in the open. Looks like the next episode shows him trying to go legit. I wouldn't drink his stuff. Not a chance.
The hunter is a real knee slapper if you think about it. Let's see, leaves on all trees, and he's carrying a rifle. There's no game in season requiring a rifle that time of year. Tim says later "maybe turkey hunting".... with a rifle? :lolno: That's illegal as hell.
ShadowLurker
Novice

Post by ShadowLurker »

I didn't read all the posts in this thread but I assume that others may share my sentiment.

I watched about 60 seconds of that show and completely lost interest. Everything the narrator said was either a lie or heavily exaggerated.

Methanol and bees? Really? I get it, but it's not really relevant at all. Just pure shock value.
Screw the Pepsi, screw the pizza, all we need is slivovica.
Feelin Phroaigy
Novice

Post by Feelin Phroaigy »

I think most folks on this forum are pretty smart about this subject. And the conclusion most have seemed to come to is that this show is contrived as hell. Just too damn many holes, mistakes and outright lies (pulling off a still head bare armed in mid run to add sugar so your ABV will perk up?!) to fool anyone knowledgeable. But I still hate that good hobby distillers will be lumped in with this tripe.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

It says at the beginning don't try this at home. But it sure is funny
how I get a headache from store bought but not from mine.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Shore would like to read a 4-5 page dissertation about this here show from Mr. Goose eye. With all explicative s articulated only how Goose can,,,,articulate.

Hope this show ain't puttin pressure on his friend's, uncle's, cuisine's, friend's, pap's, uncle's, friend's ability to scratch out some kind of existance.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

I think it would make a better sitcom than a reality show, look how long the Beverly Hillbillies ran. Tim would be Uncle Jed and the side kick Jethro, now we need Elliemae the hooker, and a crazy Grandma. Mix in Andy of Mayberry and Barney and it's a hit for a decade. The Skipper and Gilligan could be rum runners too.
USACelt
Bootlegger

Post by USACelt »

Elliemae could never be a hooker, She's My girl!!! :ebiggrin:
Ní uasal aon uasal ach sinne bheith íseal: Éirímis.(Séamas Ó Lorcáin)

The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise.(Big Jim Larkin)
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

USACelt wrote:Elliemae could never be a hooker, She's My girl!!! :ebiggrin:
Ok, Ginger could be the hooker, Elliemae and Maryann could be really close friends, wink wink.
USACelt
Bootlegger

Post by USACelt »

Burbankbrewer wrote:
USACelt wrote:Elliemae could never be a hooker, She's My girl!!! :ebiggrin:
Ok, Ginger could be the hooker, Elliemae and Maryann could be really close friends, wink wink.
I accept the challange to keep both of them on the straight and narrow. :mrgreen:
Ní uasal aon uasal ach sinne bheith íseal: Éirímis.(Séamas Ó Lorcáin)

The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise.(Big Jim Larkin)
cornbred
Novice

Post by cornbred »

kurgan wrote:
HungoverHog wrote:I liked when the hunter walks by and they duck behind some barrels but the camera man stays in the open. Looks like the next episode shows him trying to go legit. I wouldn't drink his stuff. Not a chance.
The hunter is a real knee slapper if you think about it. Let's see, leaves on all trees, and he's carrying a rifle. There's no game in season requiring a rifle that time of year. Tim says later "maybe turkey hunting".... with a rifle? :lolno: That's illegal as hell.
It's deer season in Virginia at that time of year. He said the guy could be scouting for turkeys, not hunting them. I think I would have seen a still 40 yards away from me if I was in woods hunting anything though.
cornbred
Novice

Post by cornbred »

rigmover2307 wrote:i was just horrified at the whole setup. creek water, open fermentation, then to top it all off they were putting it in plastic jugs. seriously? water can leach the hydrocarbons out of plastic in no time if it gets warm( bottled water that tastes like plastic). ethanol is much more efficient. and people pay money for that crap? you couldn't pay me to drink it. on the other hand it was immediatly obvious that tims whole situation was a work. so be it, i could care less about the contrived moonshiner, or the old archive footage that is poorly interjected, however out on the hunt with the abc is kinda interesting.
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Pretty sure we would not get along very well......
britincali
Novice

Post by britincali »

The clips from popcorn's movie are the only thing decent about the show.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

cornbred wrote:
kurgan wrote:
It's deer season in Virginia at that time of year. He said the guy could be scouting for turkeys, not hunting them. I think I would have seen a still 40 yards away from me if I was in woods hunting anything though.
I'm still thinking it was poorly staged, just something to give people that don't know any better to ooh and ahhh about. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's deer season, as in "full on season". I will admit that September 24th is "Youth Deer Hunting Day", but said youth must be accompanied by an adult (I didn't see but one "hunter"). http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/re ... s/deer.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I agree totally that I too would have seen this getup at 40 yards away, and heard it long before that.
HungoverHog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HungoverHog »

Someone started a thread about the show on a hunting forum I am on. Even they are calling BS on this show. Glad they can tell it is set up.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I actually watch (Mrs Husker sort of forced me to watch) 2 episodes last night.

OMG, what a farce.

Watching the Tenn AFT (or whatever their letters are, ABC???) was interesting, but I get SO fuking pissed, watching them act. Bringing in a commando swat raid on a nip house. You gotta be fuking kidding me. That, along with the way other 3 letter agencies operate (one of the key ones is DEA), is so anti freedom, anti american, it really makes me sick to my stomach, to realize that the sheeple have ALLOWED the bureaucrats to run over them in this way. Shame on the way the gooberment behaves, and views the people of this country.

Needless to say, watching those 'shiner' boy (foolz) was hard also. What a travecy the (non)discovery channel is.

One of the lines that bothered me most (not a quote, but close), was 'you cant find this kind of information in books, or on the internet'. What a f'tard he is. So, he is simply doing this show, to get funds, and publicity for his 'legit moonshining' micro distillery? Sounds like a piss poor plan to me.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Husker, bringing in the SWAT Team is not at all unusual here in the US... Just yesterday they brought in a local SWAT Team when a soldier, home on leave from Afghanistan, became distraught due to PTSD... His mother called the police and told them he was having issues and because she told them there were guns in the residence the SWAT Team came out in full force... Thankfully, everything ended peacefully after a six hour cooling off period and he is getting the help he needs... But this happens every day, to the point where it almost doesn't seem out of the ordinary... But I digress...

What really struck me was how "Tim" was touted as producing some of the most sought after moonshine and was perhaps the best moonshiner around - or something to that effect... Personally, I think the whole show is staged and a sham... Think about it... What chance would someone have of going legal if they have already incriminated themselves as partaking in illegal moonshine making activities...??? Especially when it's all documented on video and has been broadcast internationally... Nobody...!!!

Take the show for what it is - entertainment and propaganda... If you listened real close in one of the first two episodes you would have heard "Jesse" the lawman stating that they don't pay much attention to the Mom and Pop distillers who are producing for their own consumption rather than for sale... Now, that doesn't mean anyone should drop their guard and flap their gums about what they are doing... Not by any means... Keeping things as a closet cottage hobby is the best course of action for the time being...

If you sell, and you get caught, don't expect any sympathy from the HD membership... That's just not what we are about... I have no respect nor have any sympathy for Popcorn Sutton or any other "moonshiner" who is just out to make a buck... People like that are merely one more road block in my endeavor to do what I feel to be an inalienable right at the personal level, just like growing my own tomatoes and peppers... Chase after the guy selling tomatoes and peppers at the roadside without paying taxes before you ever think of coming after me for making spirits for personal consumption only... Therein lies the difference between a "moonshiner" and a hobby distiller, and I use that term because I'm not thrilled with the term "artisan distiller"...

Anyhoo... :think:
SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SIXFOOTER »

I thought the part about all the pressure on the still was amusing, and the duct tape fix
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

Maybe I wasnt seeing it right but the proofing pot seemed to lined or made with TIN...lol
this show is total crap. When they got home from the scare and they were talking and eatin chicken you could tell that they were acting.
LOL at the rubber and duct tape leak stop.....

Another thing....the raid they did on the juke joint or did they call it a nip house....the cops kept telling them to shut up...the hell with that shit...it was pissing me off...All I could think was..Ill talk if I want to...go ahead beat me if I speak your on camera too............

Maybe telling me to shut up just goes back to my childhood and being told to shut up is a pisser for me.
Read Please, Try it, Learn!
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

I'm just wonderin how many non-shiners are watchin and believing this crap.. :?:

and how many would be Mabel Willebrandt's it will produce both in the UK/US.. :?:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

grainhopper wrote:Another thing....the raid they did on the juke joint or did they call it a nip house....the cops kept telling them to shut up...the hell with that shit...it was pissing me off...All I could think was..Ill talk if I want to...go ahead beat me if I speak your on camera too............

Maybe telling me to shut up just goes back to my childhood and being told to shut up is a pisser for me.
They call them a "nip joint" or "nip house" because you can buy a "nip" (shot or swig), a drink, or a jar... A juke joint is where they have music, drinking, dancing, etc., in the old South (US)... You never know, it may have qualified as a "juke joint"...

As for telling them to shut up, once being held for questioning, in the presence of an officer, any talking after being told to remain silent can be considered failure to comply, obstruction of justice, and a few other related charges if they want to get technical... When Johnny Law say's "shut up" you're better off doing as you're told... It doesn't matter if you've been read your rights or not because it is still considered self-incrimination... The repercussions can be a bit worse than the slap upside your head that you might have gotten a a kid...

I'm sure this weeks episode (#4...???) will be a real hoot... :lolno: I can hardly wait... :think:
HungoverHog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HungoverHog »

rad14701 wrote:
If you sell, and you get caught, don't expect any sympathy from the HD membership... That's just not what we are about... I have no respect nor have any sympathy for Popcorn Sutton or any other "moonshiner" who is just out to make a buck... People like that are merely one more road block in my endeavor to do what I feel to be an inalienable right at the personal level, just like growing my own tomatoes and peppers... Chase after the guy selling tomatoes and peppers at the roadside without paying taxes before you ever think of coming after me for making spirits for personal consumption only... Therein lies the difference between a "moonshiner" and a hobby distiller, and I use that term because I'm not thrilled with the term "artisan distiller"...

Anyhoo... :think:
I'm glad I'm not the only one. He played up to the "image" of what a moonshiner is perceived to be just to make a dollar. He was as bad for our hobby as this joke of a show.
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

[It doesn't matter if you've been read your rights

What are those??]

I already understand about the laws of not shutting up when john law says to.....too much power in just a man or govt entity
Read Please, Try it, Learn!
cornbred
Novice

Post by cornbred »

HungoverHog wrote:
rad14701 wrote:

Anyhoo... :think:[/quot
I'm glad I'm not the only one. He played up to the "image" of what a moonshiner is perceived to be just to make a dollar. He was as bad for our hobby as this joke of a show.
What would you expect him to do? The show isn't about hobby distillers, its about moonshiners. What you and I do is just as illegal as what this guy Tim is doing. His tax bill is just gonna be a little higher if caught. Screw the goverment and the bull sh!t taxes that it imposes on us all. I think we should be able to grow our own food, grow our own medicine, and make our own drink.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

cornbred wrote:What would you expect him to do? The show isn't about hobby distillers, its about moonshiners. What you and I do is just as illegal as what this guy Tim is doing. His tax bill is just gonna be a little higher if caught. Screw the goverment and the bull sh!t taxes that it imposes on us all. I think we should be able to grow our own food, grow our own medicine, and make our own drink.
The difference between him and I is that I'm not profiting from sale of the spirits I produce for my own personal consumption, just like the home beer or wine maker... And I'm striving to make the best spirits I can, not simply cranking out moonshine for profit... I use safe materials and don't follow unsafe practices, like running propane unregulated... And I'm looking to make it legal by displaying that a large group of like minded individuals want to be able to make spirits at home for their own enjoyment, not just to go legal so I can legally make a buck... All told, that's a hell of a difference in my book... Good old Tim would get laughed out of these forums... Tim, are you there...??? :lolno: