Oh Noes.. Ma scotch is gonna run out!!

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oh Noes.. Ma scotch is gonna run out!!

Post by Pesty »

I had a good laugh over this.. it has some merit but when you look at why the only place on the globe that can put 'single malt scotch' on the label is in an area with two of the largest swill producers on the planet.. well I'll just leave it at that.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/04/luxury/ ... e-grid-dom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Oh Noes.. Ma scotch is gonna run out!!

Post by kiwi Bruce »

OH NO! THE WORLD IS RUNNING OUT OF SCOTCH.... AND THE SKY IS FALLING ON THE ISLE OF SKYE!
So will we be the last ones on earth to have the best whisky in the world? So what if we can't call what we make Scotch, it is single malt and my single malt is some of the best I've ever tasted...and I've tasted a shi# load of single malts! The question here is, is are these wonderful old whiskys being sipped of GULPED?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I've bought and drank many 21 year old bottles of Scotch and one over 40 years old.
I like mine better!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

I've got a local cigar bar that specializes in singles.. very nice collection. I'd drop $25-60 for a double with an ice ball while I enjoy my cohiba. Was never able to settle on one that I really liked. I've had some good ones, but something just never jumped out at me.

Then I found this place and made my first batch of single from peated barley. aged it for 8ish months with a charred oak spiral and took 2 quarts to the Reno air races with my brother and step dad and drank it all the first night! I've never had anything as good as that since. Every time we talk, he asks when were going back to the races.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Started off on the malt trail, years ago and tastes change. Went through Cardhu for a couple of years, named a collie after that whisky. Last malt I purchased was Balvenie double wood. However, since I've started in the hobby my singles have been getting better and better. Last summer I went to a family get together with my rapid aged single to compare with my oldest sons aged single. Mine is a close equivalent to twenty years and an amazing single. Both were very good, his has more peat than mine and still tastes like a good 12 year old Highland. We sipped and compared for about a half an hour, when one of my brothers-in law came over asked for a shot and downed it in a swallow, my son jumped up grabbed both bottles made a quick getaway and returned a minute later will a so-so sour mash bourbon of his. The rest of the family enjoyed that, we sat back and sipped out of our snifters the two single malts. Our whiskeys are defiantly better than anything you can buy. My next effort is to make an Islay style Single malt like a Lagavulin. I haven't tried to make one of these yet. Kiwi
Getting hung up all day on smiles
freaky_cutout
Novice

Post by freaky_cutout »

rad14701 wrote:The Chinese are drinking up all of our Scotch...!!! :evil:
Hmm, Chinese are allowed to drink Scotch are they not?

That statement seemed akin to saying "The Chinese are breathing all of our air."

Rule 7 I believe, if this was going to go any further would be in direct contradiction?
Getting back into stilling after a few years off.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

freaky_cutout wrote:

That statement seemed akin to saying "The Chinese are breathing all of our air."

Rule 7 I believe, if this was going to go any further would be in direct contradiction?
:shock:

No. No it's not. :wtf:

Wow. Don't leave the house. Seriously. You seem like you could be offended by a rock in your way.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

freaky_cutout wrote:

It's in direct relation to a portion of the article....
READ MORE:
Asia finds its love for Scotch
Enthusiasm for single malt Scotch -- whisky made from the product of a single distillery rather than a blend -- continues to surge. In the U.S., annual sales nearly tripled between 2002 and 2015, according to the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States.
Global single malt exports jumped 159% between 2004 and 2014, according to the Scotch Whisky Association. Asia now accounts for one-fifth of all Scotch exports, buying up a quarter of a billion bottles a year.
"In China, everybody is talking about it," said Stephen Notman of the Whisky Corporation, a whisky investment firm. "Nobody thought in a million years that there would be a market there for 30-, 40-year-old whisky."
The world's most expensive Scotch was sold in Hong Kong: a large crystal decanter holding Macallan "M" whisky went for a whopping $628,205 at a Sotheby's auction in 2014
Don't be a dick