police found my still

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: police found my still

Post by DAD300 »

I'm now five years or so since the Sheriff took a picture of my still after a break-in. He beat me to the crime scene and there it was in the kitchen. Gallon jugs in the window sill.

He saw it, I saw him see it, he saw me see him take pictures. I had three meetings with detectives after that about break-in. Never a word.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Maybe he just wanted to copy it. You ever see a pic of your setup you didn't take or post?
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I know I'm late to the party and I haven't read everything in this thread but if you look at previous busts by the feds you will notice that if you have less than one gallon of distillate they will charge you with misdemeanor possession of untaxed alcohol. More than a gallon and they charge you with felony. I also believe that the state of Texas has some rather confusing laws about distilling some of which do state that distilling for personal consumption is in fact legal, others say it is not. Been a long time since I bothered looking that up so things may have changed or my memory may be failing me.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

frodo wrote:
i disagree, the still itself is not illegal to own or possess as a water distilling device.

unles their was evidence in the open that it was not a water device

it is just like a coffee pot sitting on the table. legal and harmless

i am not a lawyer nor did i sleep at a holiday inn....just an opinion that can be wrong
not true in every state. (usa) research your home state if you are unsure of the still possession law.
be water my friend
gflower1
Swill Maker

Post by gflower1 »

Surely we've got some lawyers here... Is there a reason there is not a subgroup with individual threads on different localities? I haven't looked into it but might. My SOH has access to Jstor, etc.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

gflower1 wrote:Surely we've got some lawyers here... Is there a reason there is not a subgroup with individual threads on different localities? I haven't looked into it but might. My SOH has access to Jstor, etc.
There have been topics on the subject over the years but laws do change over time... The best advice is to check with your local state government because anything posted could become aged and inaccurate, which could be misleading if not kept up to date... Doing real-time research when the need arises is the best practice...
joeyfla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by joeyfla »

Geez....I must of read the original post wrong.....I thought it was 40 gallons of wash not 40 gallons of distilled liquor.... Man that's a lot...that needs to go off site. But that's just me...
gflower1
Swill Maker

Post by gflower1 »

rad14701 wrote: There have been topics on the subject over the years but laws do change over time...
Ahhh true. I figured there was a reason. I keep dredging up posts from '13 or before and those could easily have changed by now if they were legal related.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

cranky wrote:I know I'm late to the party and I haven't read everything in this thread but if you look at previous busts by the feds you will notice that if you have less than one gallon of distillate they will charge you with misdemeanor possession of untaxed alcohol. More than a gallon and they charge you with felony. I also believe that the state of Texas has some rather confusing laws about distilling some of which do state that distilling for personal consumption is in fact legal, others say it is not. Been a long time since I bothered looking that up so things may have changed or my memory may be failing me.
This^^^ I still haven't figured it out. Also a law saying any type of still used for distilling water that's under one gallon capacity is legal, and another that says any type of distillation device is against the law.
Jb-t
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My personal opinion is hide...I mean sell everything for scrap and fill all the bottles with distilled water, you never know when clean water might be needed in an emergency. As long as nothing was tested they don't have proof it wasn't water.
goblin
Bootlegger

Post by goblin »

i do wear shorts when i sleep nowadays, they dont give you time to dress.
some of the "water" was a little brown - cranky.

i did see somewhere online that moonshining was a misdemeanor a year in jail and $1000.00 fine in Texas
if its online its got to be true :)
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

jb-texshine wrote:
cranky wrote:I know I'm late to the party and I haven't read everything in this thread but if you look at previous busts by the feds you will notice that if you have less than one gallon of distillate they will charge you with misdemeanor possession of untaxed alcohol. More than a gallon and they charge you with felony. I also believe that the state of Texas has some rather confusing laws about distilling some of which do state that distilling for personal consumption is in fact legal, others say it is not. Been a long time since I bothered looking that up so things may have changed or my memory may be failing me.
This^^^ I still haven't figured it out. Also a law saying any type of still used for distilling water that's under one gallon capacity is legal, and another that says any type of distillation device is against the law.
Jb-t
here...
legal for a water still
legal for a fuel still with permit
for booze
illegal to possess any part of or still in whole

but you can buy them or parts on craigs list
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

goblin wrote:i do wear shorts when i sleep nowadays, they dont give you time to dress.
some of the "water" was a little brown - cranky.

i did see somewhere online that moonshining was a misdemeanor a year in jail and $1000.00 fine in Texas
if its online its got to be true :)
It ain't illegal to have brown water, that's all it was if they don't have proof otherwise, could have even been JD for all they know and I think at this point it is the feds you need to be concerned with not state.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Cranky's right, There's a post on here somewhere that explains how every State in the Union has a law on their books that says that hobby/home distilling is legal, but don't get your hopes up... because the Fed laws trump the State laws and they say it's illegal. AND the Administration attempted to have all State and local LEA's act as Federal agents, if the State doesn't comply then the Fed with holds funds.I know there was resistance to this, but I don't know how far they where able to go.... Be concerned about the Fed and be very wary of the local and State as well.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

My Grandpa was referencing sex when he made the comment but it applies to stilling as well :"Some things ought to be done after dark and damned little said about them "..............
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Any updates to this? I see goblin still logging in... Good news then or still early days?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
goblin
Bootlegger

Post by goblin »

all is well, i still have hooch to drink.
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

Lucky man!!
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

goblin wrote:all is well, i still have hooch to drink.
Hooray! :thumbup:
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
lek
Novice

Post by lek »

Did one of you grab the last gal jug from Farmboy's?
If ya did I could use some Empty or Full don't matter to me?
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Truckinbutch wrote:My Grandpa was referencing sex when he made the comment but it applies to stilling as well :"Some things ought to be done after dark and damned little said about them "..............
I dunno, I really like a good nooner.