Hundred dollar for a gallon of shine???

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kareltje
Distiller

Hundred dollar for a gallon of shine???

Post by Kareltje »

Of course no one of us is distilling for profit, but I saw the series "Moonshiners" on tv and although I do not know if it is serious, one thing puzzled me: the price of the shine. It was said a gallon of shine could be sold for $ 100!
That is about EUR 25 for 1 litre! Last week I made a chickenfeed for EUR 5 per litre of 40 %ABV.

This makes me wonder about two things:
1) Do shiners indeed sell their product for 5 times the costs? Even if we assume half of their efforts go wrong, it is 2,5 times the costs.
2) Are consumers really prepared to pay more for shine then they have to pay for legal booze?

Of course no one of you is in the trade himself, but maybe you have heard a thing or two.
rad14701
retired

Re: Hundred dollar for a gallon of shine???

Post by rad14701 »

Let's not be discussing real world sales here, ok...!!!

As for that whacky show, if you've paid close attention you may have even heard of up to $300 a gallon for specialty spirits... I have no clue how folks in such impoverished areas could be expected to pay such insane prices... You've got to consider the source, a make-believe reality TV show...

Let's not get into real-world pricing as it is against The Rules We Live By... Just don't go there...!!!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

read these http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1#p7369882

plenty of moonshiners BS on here already for you to weed through.
be water my friend
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

rad, you refer to:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =35&t=5090

6. No discussions of any illegal activity, except the actual hobby level distillation process. These forums are only for discussing the creation and enjoyment of high quality spirits for one's own personal consumption. They are not for the discussion or promotion of any other illegal activities, including illegal drugs, obtaining stilling materials by illegal means, etc. Offenders may be banned.

I read these prices on another place too: $ 200 for a gallon of honeyshine! And I do not think Moonshiners is really for real! I, sir, am not stupid!

I agree with your astonishment, so that is why I pose my question: I find it hard to believe that such prices are paid for such products.
I do not promote illegal moonshining: I just wondered how it could survive at such prices. One should assume that the market would do its job and phase this illegal activity out.

But: if even discussing this remote subject is forbidden: I rest my Kees.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

cob wrote:read these http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1#p7369882

plenty of moonshiners BS on here already for you to weed through.
I conclude we are seeing the series a year later than you are. And indeed: In every episode there might be one small piece of information that is useful.
But reading this forum is as interesting as viewing this series. I take up every tiny bit of useful information and use it and on the other hand I amuse myself with the mistakes of others.

As derailed as this series might be about the procedures of making shine, it has to be accurate about the connection with the real world. So I figured that the price might me right.

And I do not promote moonshining or whatever illegal acitivities you might think of. But I still wonder how you can sell shine at 40 %ABV for $ 200 a gallon?
Even in Scandinavian countries this is an absurd price.

Edit:
I saw the disaster of the Silver Trail distillery only two weeks ago. Reading in the link you gave me, feeded me with more information. Especially on viewers who did see the series but did also know their local information.

But then again: why would anyone want to pay $ 200 for a US gallon of honeyshine? (Price not from Moonshiners)
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

I know a guy local (not me) I repeat....NOT ME!!!!!! That makes basically a uj shine, no cuts other than fores, gets that price and can't make it fast enough. What he does is his business. Im not having any of it.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

wtfdskin wrote:I know a guy local (not me) I repeat....NOT ME!!!!!! That makes basically a uj shine, no cuts other than fores, gets that price and can't make it fast enough. What he does is his business. Im not having any of it.
Then tell me: what is the price of a litre (or a quart) of common drink of 40 %ABV (80 proof).
It is legal to buy a bottle of legal distillate, I suppose?
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

750 ml bottle of legal mid shelf whiskey (jack or beam) at the "state store" is maybe $20. Havent bought any in a long time.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I don't see this thread lasting long .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

How many apples you reckon it takes to make a barrel of cider . How much likker you reckon you makin out a barrel of cider. Now how many hours you reckon you got in lookin after that Apple tree pick in up an squeezin them apples.

Now what was the question

So I'm tole
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

I have the answers to all of them questions. Lol.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

And I do not think Moonshiners is really for real! I, sir, am not stupid!.
What do you mean it's not real? Next you'll be telling me that Jim-Tom's real name is James Thomas and that he's a classically trained actor...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Mikey-moo wrote:
And I do not think Moonshiners is really for real! I, sir, am not stupid!.
What do you mean it's not real? Next you'll be telling me that Jim-Tom's real name is James Thomas and that he's a classically trained actor...
No, his name is Vladimir Klitschenko. This series was recorded cheaply in the Ukraine.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

Ust posting to keep track of this thread and see where it goes. Is there a subscribe button on these forums? I have not seen one.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

steelmb wrote:Ust posting to keep track of this thread and see where it goes. Is there a subscribe button on these forums? I have not seen one.
Look in the page header, below the New Topic button... "Subscribe Topic"... At least that's where it is in the subsilver2 skin...
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

rad14701 wrote:
steelmb wrote:Ust posting to keep track of this thread and see where it goes. Is there a subscribe button on these forums? I have not seen one.
Look in the page header, below the New Topic button... "Subscribe Topic"... At least that's where it is in the subsilver2 skin...
If your on a dumb phone it's all the way at the bottom left corner of a thread. I don't know what skin I'm using its the "standard" I guess. I've never changed it.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

I found it now. It is on the bottom left with my old XP machine and Firefox. Thanks.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

back in my youth we bought 5l of 45% for 500 SEK, about 65 USD. 20 years or so ago, makes sense it's up to 100 now. consider that a bottle was 220sek of 750 ml at 40% its was fantastic value.
Don't be a dick
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Where I live jack Daniels cost about $21/750 mil so about 5 bottles to a gallon and that's $100.

I would rather pay $100/gal and keep the stuff I make.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I'm always amazed that some people just want NASTY! I was never that young or stupid. I hope I wasn't...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Truckinbutch wrote:I don't see this thread lasting long .

:lol:

Well...not to keep this going but...look at the math. 1 gallon is roughly 3785.41 ml... lets just say 3800. 750 ml at $20 each (and that is going down on the shelf)

SO....750ml x 5 = 3750 ml (close to 3800ml or 1 gallon). $20 x 5 = $100

Now if I could just figure out PPG...
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Yes, that is about the same price we pay here for our drinks. And at special offers even less.
But if I were a customer and I had the choice between buying a legal drink in a shop or purchasing an illegal drink somewhere out in the fields or the woods for the same price, my choice would be easy!
Why would someone get drinks the hard way, when he can get them the easy and safe way?
There must be some catch that I am missing. (Or people are just plain stupid, of course!)
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

people are by and large stupid
Don't be a dick
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Kareltje wrote:Yes, that is about the same price we pay here for our drinks. And at special offers even less.
But if I were a customer and I had the choice between buying a legal drink in a shop or purchasing an illegal drink somewhere out in the fields or the woods for the same price, my choice would be easy!
Why would someone get drinks the hard way, when he can get them the easy and safe way?
There must be some catch that I am missing. (Or people are just plain stupid, of course!)
Agreed
Swedish Pride wrote:people are by and large stupid
Also agreed.....

Folks.. ya just can't fix stupid.
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

I have tasted "moonshine" twice, first time was forty years ago. It didn't taste as good as kerosine smells. I didn't taste it again for thirty years. A good friend bought a jar of peach moonshine to deercamp. I almost passed up the jar because of the paint thinner I had tasted thirty years before. This shiner was a true artist, a true "Artisan Distiller!". I would pay $100.00 a gallon for his workmanship. That one small sip changed my life. My burning question was "how the heck did he make that?", caused me to ultimately find my way here. I have read studied, researched and experimented for most of the last decade. After all that, I would love be able to buy a gallon of what I tasted once ten years ago for only $100.
I would imagine Tim, Tickle, Jim Tom and the other big bucks stars of the TV Sitcom would snatch up a gallon too, and they would gladly pay $100 a gallon for that superb peach brandy and would all be asking themselves, "how the heck can I make that?"
Very well crafted spirit is to be prized! Very few legal or illegal distillers market the best that can be crafted. That is why there are ten of thousands around the world who call our forums home!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rgreen2002 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:I don't see this thread lasting long .

:lol:

Well...not to keep this going but...look at the math. 1 gallon is roughly 3785.41 ml... lets just say 3800. 750 ml at $20 each (and that is going down on the shelf)

SO....750ml x 5 = 3750 ml (close to 3800ml or 1 gallon). $20 x 5 = $100

Now if I could just figure out PPG...
I was surprised at the longevity of the thread has far surpassed those from prior years that have been presented . I could talk of my experiences in the '60's but I was asked politely to not bring this topic to the table .
Gonna have to come to my house to hear war stories .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Ill be right over... ;-)
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Truckinbutch wrote:I was surprised at the longevity of the thread has far surpassed those from prior years that have been presented . I could talk of my experiences in the '60's but I was asked politely to not bring this topic to the table .
How about 6 weeks from now? Sound good? :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Jimbo wrote:Ill be right over... ;-)
Me too, Me too!!
HD Glossary - Open this
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:I was surprised at the longevity of the thread has far surpassed those from prior years that have been presented . I could talk of my experiences in the '60's but I was asked politely to not bring this topic to the table .
How about 6 weeks from now? Sound good? :thumbup:
That sounds like a helluva good plan . We are making preps right now for the party . I'll be posting roll call on the Truckfest thread next week .