Jack Daniel’s Embraces a Hidden Ingredient: Help From a Slav

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jack Daniel’s Embraces a Hidden Ingredient: Help From a Slav

Post by raketemensch »

Hopefully this hasn't been posted already, I couldn't find it anywhere:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/dinin ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
For years, the prevailing history of American whiskey has been framed as a lily-white affair, centered on German and Scots-Irish settlers who distilled their surplus grains into whiskey and sent it to far-off markets, eventually creating a $2.9 billion industry and a product equally beloved by Kentucky colonels and Brooklyn hipsters.

Left out of that account were men like Nearis Green. Slavery and whiskey, far from being two separate strands of Southern history, were inextricably entwined. Enslaved men not only made up the bulk of the distilling labor force, but they often played crucial skilled roles in the whiskey-making process. In the same way that white cookbook authors often appropriated recipes from their black cooks, white distillery owners took credit for the whiskey.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Jack Daniel’s Embraces a Hidden Ingredient: Help From a

Post by Badmotivator »

Thanks, mensch. That's a cool article.

Would it be uncouth of me to joke about how surprising it is to find evidence of skilled Slavs? :) (Your title got cut off.)
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Jack Daniel’s Embraces a Hidden Ingredient: Help From a

Post by raketemensch »

I love a good slivovitz as much as the next guy...

It's an interesting read, and it's kinda cool to know that we finally have evolved to the point that something as southern as JD can admit stuff like this.