Sunflower Spirits

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Sunflower Spirits

Post by Bushman »

First ever Sunflower distilled spirits, I found it an interesting article.
http://files.constantcontact.com/31ebb9 ... 698bda.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Sunflower Spirits

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

You must mean other than the brilliant explorers here at HD:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=58872
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:You must mean other than the brilliant explorers here at HD:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=58872
Yes, I was referring to the article, they probably like so many craft folks got a lot of their ideas or starts right here on the forum as we have a lot of talented members.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Bushman wrote: Yes, I was referring to the article, they probably like so many craft folks got a lot of their ideas or starts right here on the forum as we have a lot of talented members.
This is the argument that should used to include the legalization of home distilling in this years bill. Legalization of home brewing started the craft beer revolution, as will the legalization of home distillation.

I know that I'm preaching to the choir, but what the hell. :mrgreen:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Bushman wrote: Yes, I was referring to the article, they probably like so many craft folks got a lot of their ideas or starts right here on the forum as we have a lot of talented members.
This is the argument that should used to include the legalization of home distilling in this years bill. Legalization of home brewing started the craft beer revolution, as will the legalization of home distillation.

I know that I'm preaching to the choir, but what the hell. :mrgreen:
+1, lots of great arguments to be made if they would listen to reason! :thumbup:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Both methods are interesting.
The article is about sprouting sunflower and mixing them with malt, the thread is about boiling them, brewing them with enzymes and than fermenting them with some sugar.
But the article has some strange details. I do not understand the part about gluten. Seems nonsense to me, as I do not believe one can distill gluten!
Also I do not understand the part of working without yeast. Are you sure this is not a first of april joke?

But as everybody speaks highly of the taste, it can be worth a try.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

It's true, gluten doesn't make it through the type of distillation we're doing.

Secondly, he is using spontaneous fermentation. There is yeast, just wild yeast.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.