New distillers reading lounge

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: New distillers reading lounge

Post by Bushman »

varocketry wrote:LAMPSHADE:

Any progress yet on the Stalled Fermentations guide you offered to write in August?

I'm experiencing UJSSM stalls and could use some guidance.

Thanks.
It's done just waiting to have it all posted and the Fermentation thread cleaned up a bit. Lampshade did a nice job on that part of it!
lampshade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by lampshade »

Thanks, Bushman, for your kind words.

varocketry, for my situation, I found the biggest contributor to stalled ferments was pH. As fermentation progresses, the pH naturally lowers and can reach a point where the yeast become unhappy and stall. Baking soda raises the wash pH, is cheap, and does not produce off-flavors. My wash quickly hit the pH danger zone because the water was soft and did not contain the needed buffer minerals. Buffers slow down the pH descent and keep the pH out of the danger zone. Many people also use "5.2 pH Stabilizer", as yeast are most happy at a 5.2 pH.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow * Between the crosses, row on row, * We are the Dead. Short days ago * We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, * Loved and were loved, and now we lie * In Flanders fields. -- from a WWI poem
garyerick
Novice

Post by garyerick »

THis is not very helpful at this time.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

garyerick wrote:THis is not very helpful at this time.
This thread is comments on how to improve the New Distillers Reading Lounge by members, did you actually go to the New Distillers reading lounge? If so what part is not useful to you?
carolina64
Novice

Post by carolina64 »

Hello, I am Carolina64, I am just in reading stages of making moonshine. I know the oldtimes don't like foolish questions but I have a few simple ones that are not mentioned in any of my reading. We all have to start somewhere right? I am retired and have time to experiment but need to get started off right. I see I need to be invited by group member to join the forum..I would appreciate the help..Does it matter what type water you use..some say distilled, some say can use hot water from the tap because the heat has removed the chemicals in the water, I have seen some videos where they use water straight from the hose. So what is want here?
I know the moonshine does not have to be refrigerated but read that if it is sweeten in any way then it has to be kept in refrigerator. If it is sealed in qt jars will it be fine on the shelf?
I brought some Crossroads All Stock sweetfeed. I was expecting just a mix of crushed grains in the bag, but this has small corn particals stuck to pellets by the sorghoum or molasses in the feed. Do I have the right kind of Sweetfeed??
I hate to ask this one, I don't seek instructions from Moonshiners, but I heard Jim Tom say he uses corn malt to make his mass and not yeast, he says yeast is what gives the headache, with corn malt it will not..Not believing this one unless I can get some feedback from the oldtimers...Hope I don't have to bother you again, maybe next time I can add a new recipe..thanks.
evilpea
Swill Maker

Post by evilpea »

carolina64 wrote:Hello, I am Carolina64, I am just in reading stages of making moonshine. I know the oldtimes don't like foolish questions but I have a few simple ones that are not mentioned in any of my reading. We all have to start somewhere right? I am retired and have time to experiment but need to get started off right. I see I need to be invited by group member to join the forum..I would appreciate the help..Does it matter what type water you use..some say distilled, some say can use hot water from the tap because the heat has removed the chemicals in the water, I have seen some videos where they use water straight from the hose. So what is want here?
I know the moonshine does not have to be refrigerated but read that if it is sweeten in any way then it has to be kept in refrigerator. If it is sealed in qt jars will it be fine on the shelf?
I brought some Crossroads All Stock sweetfeed. I was expecting just a mix of crushed grains in the bag, but this has small corn particals stuck to pellets by the sorghoum or molasses in the feed. Do I have the right kind of Sweetfeed??
I hate to ask this one, I don't seek instructions from Moonshiners, but I heard Jim Tom say he uses corn malt to make his mass and not yeast, he says yeast is what gives the headache, with corn malt it will not..Not believing this one unless I can get some feedback from the oldtimers...Hope I don't have to bother you again, maybe next time I can add a new recipe..thanks.
Why are you in the recipe section? go to this link http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=27 and post a proper hello.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Because this is an announcement thread, so shows up in EVERY forum.

I will see what I can do about that.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.