Planning ahead for my graduation, what would you drink?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

What should I distill and age until i graduate with my BA in december?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:41 pm

scotch style whiskey
17%
corn based whiskey
20%
irish style whiskey
7%
burbon style whiskey
13%
rum
17%
absinthe
No votes
oat whiskey
3%
ujssm
7%
other (please comment below)
17%

Total votes: 30

guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Planning ahead for my graduation, what would you drink?

Post by guittarmaster »

I ought to be graduating with my BA in chemistry this coming December. I'm planning on filling a 3-5 gallon barrel with a grain whiskey and aging it until then. I'm asking for your opinion. What would you drink on your graduation if you could go back and distill it and drink it on that kick-a$$ day?
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
aqua vitae
Swill Maker

Re: Planning ahead for my graduation, what would you drink?

Post by aqua vitae »

I'd run some neutral and drink "snaps" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snaps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
But then I'm from the vodka belt.

Scotch is my second option. That would include your barrel too which I guess was your intention. :mrgreen:
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

I have 10L of all-grain whisky oak. I have been aging for 2 months... Can't say I'll keep it for any special celebration in the family,
cause it tastes just so damn good... I'd probably have it all drunk anyway... :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Congratulations, hope the job market for chemists is good when you get out :D
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Irish. Seems they know how to throw a party, good, bad or indifferent. Still a party and while their into more beer. It's the theme that counts.
ArkyJ
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

the things that are popular are .beer,,vodka with mixes,, and sissy drinks that is vodka flavored with fruit (similar to pantie dropper) and then at lower proof.whiskey is more for sipping,on a quite night. not so much a party drink.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I would do a corn whiskey but as Dnder said that's not going to be a big party drink with the ladies. So your going to need to do two 5 gallon barrels, one corn and one millet, or maybe a plum.

You didn't tell us you are a chemist. You've been holding out.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

rubber duck wrote:You didn't tell us you are a chemist. You've been holding out
What... I"m just trying to maintain an air of mystery..... (from the officials)

It looks like there defiantly will be lots of vodka, gin, and some corn whiskey. Also should mention that there will be cigars involved as well. Still open to suggestions.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
nevadadrifter
Novice

Post by nevadadrifter »

guittarmaster wrote:Also should mention that there will be cigars involved as well. Still open to suggestions.

I know you're looking for opinions on drinks, but you start talking cigars and now you're speaking my language! Ashton VSG- A little on the pricey side, but one of the damn finest cigars out there IMO.
Daddy made whiskey and he made it well
Cost two dollars and it burned like hell
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

nevadadrifter wrote:I know you're looking for opinions on drinks, but you start talking cigars and now you're speaking my language! Ashton VSG- A little on the pricey side, but one of the damn finest cigars out there IMO.
How does that compare to a Romeo & Juliet Maduro...(one of my favorites!) or a Camacho Triple Maduro (my newest favorite)? I'm ALWAYS dow for a cigar tip (though I only get to smoke them a few times a year, but when I do I go for top quality)

I gotta find a cigar smoking sipping-whiskey recipe for later... one backward engineered to compliment the cigar.... but that's a different thread.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Rum Bum
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Bum »

When I had my graduation party a few years ago I made Caribou Lou. I borrowed my lax teams water cooler and filled it with 2 bags of ice, 4 fifths of 151, 4 handles of Mali Coconut, and 15 cans of pineapple juice. It filled the gatorade cooler 4/5th to the top and was finished by the end of the night. What a fun time we had.
rowdybowdy
Novice

Post by rowdybowdy »

Rum Bum wrote:When I had my graduation party a few years ago I made Caribou Lou. I borrowed my lax teams water cooler and filled it with 2 bags of ice, 4 fifths of 151, 4 handles of Mali Coconut, and 15 cans of pineapple juice. It filled the gatorade cooler 4/5th to the top and was finished by the end of the night. What a fun time we had.

I think he wants to Supply a Home distilled spirit...

If it was me... Id go with the highest proof grain alcohol you can produce... Keep some at 95% and cut the majority to 40%

Drink the 40% And hand some 95% out for a novelty party favor...

Rum is another great Party liqour
And... Get Rowdy
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

I'm more of a Bourbon sipper, but for parties it is usually just beer. If you choose the clear hooch option, please be careful handing out 95% stuff, someone could get seriously hurt with that proof.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I'm not a cigar expert by any stretch of the imagination. For the price I like a good medium bodied arturo fuente. A good medium bodied cigar doesn't destroy the carecter of a good booze.

If your drinking ok booze a full bodied cigar is better. For good booze a medium bodied/ flavored cigar is better, and if your smoking a really good cigar or drinking really good whiskey they should be enjoyed separately. That's just my 2C.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

rowdybowdy wrote: Drink the 40% And hand some 95% out for a novelty party favor...
Please don't do this -- for the uninformed (those of you that are asking why not) this is a very dangerous practice. We, as an alcohol producer, are responsible for being reasonable enough to provide alcohol at a proof that will be safe to consume in the company that we keep. Most folks are familiar with 80 proof. The more advanced will probably have experienced 100proof and maybe a little more. If you provide over-proofed alcohol folks will consume at the volumes they are familiar with and will quickly become toasted. 95% -- 190 proof is poison. Please be responsible with your hobby.
rowdybowdy
Novice

Post by rowdybowdy »

Well... I was referring to more of a back room tasting with close friends at the 95%

Yea don't give that shit to someone who doesn't understand it... in my experience Most people wouldn't drink it anyway
And... Get Rowdy
TexasReflux
Swill Maker

Post by TexasReflux »

Seriously, cause that drunk chick that had to go to the hospital would be such a bummer, and lead to way too many questions...

But I get what your saying about just for friends.

And my opinion, though probably hated, would be champaign, it's a celebration isn't it... Though Scotch is good... yes very good...
rowdybowdy
Novice

Post by rowdybowdy »

TexasReflux wrote:Seriously, cause that drunk chick that had to go to the hospital would be such a bummer, and lead to way too many questions...
Yes ive experienced this... not from my endeavorers but... Close friends at parties... Seems the smart ladies prevail... the predictable women are... predictable
And... Get Rowdy
nevadadrifter
Novice

Post by nevadadrifter »

guittarmaster wrote:How does that compare to a Romeo & Juliet Maduro...(one of my favorites!) or a Camacho Triple Maduro (my newest favorite)? I'm ALWAYS dow for a cigar tip (though I only get to smoke them a few times a year, but when I do I go for top quality)
I've never heard of the Camacho, and I have yet to smoke the R&J Maduro, but I do have three of them sitting in my humidor right now.

I do have to agree with RD's advice though. I typically lean towards a mild, lighter colored cigar when I'm sitting by the fire pit smoking, but drinking at the same time tends to drown out some of the more subtle flavors. A dark maduro is the way to go if you want to enjoy the full flavor of both your drink and your smoke.
Daddy made whiskey and he made it well
Cost two dollars and it burned like hell
liggettjonathan78
Novice

Post by liggettjonathan78 »

Think of the present and future will automatically fall in place. By the way you are in which year of graduation?
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

liggettjonathan78 wrote:Think of the present and future will automatically fall in place. By the way you are in which year of graduation?
super-duper ultra senior. I switched my major what would of been my original senior year to chemistry after taking some time off. Decided that although I'm talented in graphic design and although it comes natural to me, I wanted more of a challenge. So I ended up switching it to chemistry. I should be class of 2011.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Today i graduated

Post by guittarmaster »

well guys, It's finally hapened, I graduated today!!!

I"ve been partying it up to so ignore the spelling errors as I'm writing this outside while I smoke a cigar.

I ended up with 3 liters of 6 month old corn/oatmeal ujssm, 1L Tai Terro, 1L 7 month old corn UJSSM, 5L Vodka and 100 Chesapeake Bay Blue Point Oysters!

Thanks guys for all the tips, Everybody is LOVING IT!!!!!

GM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Congratulations!!!!! You make an old guy proud. I think I should go back to school. You are never too old to learn. Are you still a Sushi chef too? I had some great Sashimi tonight.

MR
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Congratulations!!
Braz
BigPa
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigPa »

My vote goes for Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro Cigars and sweetfeed whiskey...
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

good work guitarmaster. enjoys yourself and congratulations. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek