What is everyone drinking?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

rager
Distiller

Re: What is everyone drinking?

Post by rager »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Blue corn malt whiskey. Mine. :D
image.jpeg
please pass the bottle this way

drinking a cold modelo! yummy . love me the simple cold modelo beer. goes down smoooth.
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

tonite I is having a tall, cold, hand crafted, bastardized California brown ale. my first kegged beer :D then later when wifeys not watchin 3mo old cf white dog 8)
Biker Mark
Novice

Post by Biker Mark »

Drinking what I call "Bastard Likker".
Feint's from my UJSM and AB runs. Proportions of which are unknown that's why it's a Bastard.
I use some feint's in every still charge, but not all of them, and after time they accumulate and I run them. 3.5 gallon still charge of feint's.
Triple distilled and rested on heavy charred oak spirals for a month.
Yum!
American By Birth, Biker by Choice, Country by the Grace Of God.
_
5 Gallon Appalachian style Pot Still with 2 Thumper's and Worm.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... &mode=view
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

Did an experiment today, at the end of an all grain stripping run while at 18% ABV instead of turning off the power and emptying the boiler I replaced the potstill head with a filled column* and collected about 350ml of 92% "grain ethanol" which I diluted to 42% "grain wodka". Was surprised by the amount of flavor that came over! Or to put it another way, it's quite rough. But drinkable nonetheless.

*no jokes about switching dicks while in a screw :shh:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just finished a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape. Nice. Bit high on alcohol, this wine, with 14.5% ...

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Sippin on some Batch 206 Old Log Cabin Bourbon, so far the best Washington state craft distiller booze that I've tasted.

OVZ
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

Odin wrote:Just finished a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape. Nice. Bit high on alcohol, this wine, with 14.5% ...
My favorite French red wine, quite rich in alcohol indeed but that's to be expected - the grapes are grown in an area where the white pebbles reflect the sunlight back up... Been there a few times, once went to a restaurant where I wondered why the (mostly American) tourist visitors where ordering cola with their meal :crazy:

My second choice would be a Saint-Émilion, a great red wine from the eastern part of the Bordeaux region.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

That time of the year that I buy a bottle of better than average. This year it is Glenmorangie 10 yearold single malt. mighty tastey
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Last week I did two strips of chicken scratch followed by a 1.5 spirit run with the remaining wash... I blended it a bit Tailsy as I intended to age it but the SOH tasted it and says she likes it better than the Svedka she's been drinking and has claimed the first bottle as hers... I like it straight up or in a black russian... I have enough blended proof for a couple more liters... She's already wondering when I'm starting another batch of chicken scratch...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Took a liter size bottle of Triple Smoke (peat, beechwood, cherry smoked malts) to the neighbors for New Years Eve festivities, and brought back some glass and a cork a few hours later.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Jimbo wrote:Took a liter size bottle of Triple Smoke (peat, beechwood, cherry smoked malts) to the neighbors for New Years Eve festivities, and brought back some glass and a cork a few hours later.
Lucky neighbors. Howdy Jimbo!
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Hey Brutal, Happy New Year!

How's Texas, freezin my berries off up north here.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Drinking jimbos ginger made outta xxxuj.
Currently enjoying our every other year snow in tx.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I'm having a glass of Cuginogrizzo's bourbon that he sent home with me a couple weeks ago.
He used European oak to age it with, and it is totally different from the White Oak I am used to.
It is very smooth and the Oak taste doesn't jump out and grab you.
Hey buddy, I may have to come back and get another jar!
juliodrinks
Novice

Post by juliodrinks »

Hi there,
I like to make a cocktail put in shot glasses and try small portions of each cocktail.
Absolutely I'm a lover of Brazilian cachaça, whiskey and beer. :clap:
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

I just pulled an all Molly rum off the wood from about 5 months. Diluted down to 40%....just amazing! This was an all Molly made with food grade blackstrap.... a much lighter flavor than the feed grade but still fantastic!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

One of the great things about my job is that I get free drinks from my customers like every week. I'll share some tasting notes and pictures on them. Today I got a package from Sweden. From a brewery that's now also distilling. Five bottles. Very young calvados, gin, sugar base spirit, brandy and artichoke. I will taste some later tonight.

Here are two pictures.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Its 40°f and raining hard enough that i dont wanna walk to the shop. The wifes at work,kids at their grandparents and all the animals are fed. Seems its just me and the dogs tonite...i think that means im cleared to start sippin....
The weather says apple pie,slightly warmed, spiked with a shot of persimmon brandy mixed in and topped with whip cream. Then on to the uj and 7up.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jb-texshine wrote:Its 40°f and raining hard enough that i dont wanna walk to the shop. The wifes at work,kids at their grandparents and all the animals are fed. Seems its just me and the dogs tonite...i think that means im cleared to start sippin....
The weather says apple pie,slightly warmed, spiked with a shot of persimmon brandy mixed in and topped with whip cream. Then on to the uj and 7up.
Similar circumstance and weather here except the wife is tucked in close to me in her chair .
She just asked me if I'd like to share a 'Slippery Nipple' with her .
After we share that drink I expect I'll be going to bed early .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Truckinbutch wrote:Similar circumstance and weather here except the wife is tucked in close to me in her chair .
She just asked me if I'd like to share a 'Slippery Nipple' with her .
After we share that drink I expect I'll be going to bed early .
:thumbup:
OVZ
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

My new gin, named "Cheese-eater" - named so to annoy both my neighbors to the North and the folks at Beefeater. I'll need to keep something to bring to Odin's "Distilling White Spirits" workshop next month :thumbup:

Ma.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Currently sipping on a Red Hot:
1/2 oz Homemade Caramel Cordial
1/2 oz Cinnamon Whiskey
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'm drinking some plum brandy, I made at least 3 or 4 years ago.
Not particularly great, but it's better than some of the high dollar commercial brandy I've sampled.
It's smooth, but seems to be lacking in character.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Enjoying a glass of 4 year old gumballhead neat. Very nice. I took it off oak at 2 years but it keeps getting better. Reminds me of Jack. Clean but tasty. Very nice drinker for a sugarhead. Recipe is at the end of my bourbon recipe in sig below.
Jimbo
retired

Whiskey Sour with our hooch

Post by Jimbo »

Did a little Whiskey Sour experimentation last night. Here's what I found...

Whiskey sour is a simple and delicious drink. Just 2 parts whiskey, 1 part fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp sugar or some simple syrup and shaken over ice. To take it over the top and really do it up it can have an eggwhite added as well. If you do the egg white, shake before adding ice as the egg will emulsify better if not ice cold. Then add ice and shake again. Pour in glass, toss a lime wedge and marashino cherry on top and enjoy.

Its a tasty drink. I tried it both ways above with and without the egg. The egg turns it into a frothy dessert, nice, for 1. But I generally drink these tasty drinks too fast to want that many desserts.

I also tried it with Bourbon and with a Gumballhead (sugar head made from spent Bourbon mash). The sugarhead really didnt have the backbone to stand up to the other groceries. The bourbon version was tasty, and after a few more that way, without the egg, I woke up after midnight to see netflix asking me if I was still watching the series. God bless them for checking in once in a while late at night to see if youre asleep, instead of just playing the episodes back to back all night...

Cheers friends.
willee
Novice

Post by willee »

Today I am drinking Vodka and Ginger Beer ... Moscow Mule!
Amazingly smooth and tasty!
Little Hank
Novice

Post by Little Hank »

I'm drinking my first bourbon, a glass of distiller's select Woodford Reserve I'm typically an IPA guy with a Southern Comfort sweet tooth. I like it neat which surprised me. I actually bought it to try and pick out the flavors that I read about and the texture to the touch which I'm not sure if you can relate it to the process of distillation due to the fact that it was already on oak. It does have a slippery feeling though. next bottle will be a bourbon with some age to it. :D Oh any suggestions on another bourbon in this category would be appreciated. I guess I'm getting off topic Sorry
LH

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52975
Hd Google Search Is your friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Carmel mule, made from my homemade Carmel cordial.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

A black IPA.
Bushman wrote:... homemade Carmel cordial.
You know what I would like to see? A sub forum created, dedicated to all the cordials and liquors you can make from nuetrals. A place to find the grand marnier recipie, Kalua, fire piss, etc. A cordial section. Would be nice in one place.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Killing the whiskey sours again tonight, see a few posts down for the experimentation I did. This time I did up a jug of simple syrup first. Its nice to get that super sweet syrup in the shaker and sweeten to taste. Seems I like these a bit on the sweet side to balance the large amount of lemon juice in there. Using Meyer lemons tonight. Damn delicious. Im making these with 2 parts bourbon, 1 part fresh squeezed meyer lemon juice and 1 part simple syrup.