What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor store?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor st

Post by LWTCS »

Shewt,,,,,,your missus knows what's what I'd say.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Gotta get off my lazy ass...!!! Drinking Pinnacle Vodka with Barton's Vodka sitting in the wings as backup... Yet I have 2 x 6.5 gallon washes, plus 2 gallons of low wines waiting to be distilled along with several gallons of feints... Soon... Very soon...
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Beer, ice, and cigaretts. No hard liquors in a l o n g time.
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Bought some hard root beer last night. "Not your father's root beer". It's pretty good. Wish I had some vanilla ice cream to go in it though.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

A long sleeve Shirt and Bogan from Thunder Road Distillery in Seiverville, Tn. Christmas Gift for my oldest son...he loved it. Dang, I didn't buy any product.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Bought a bottle of Blanton's. It's good but I keep reaching for my own stuff. But id recommend it to anybody lookin for a good Bourbon.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

jedneck wrote:Bought a bottle of Blanton's. It's good but I keep reaching for my own stuff. But id recommend it to anybody lookin for a good Bourbon.
What is the price point on that these days? Still about 50 bux?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

LWTCS wrote:
jedneck wrote:Bought a bottle of Blanton's. It's good but I keep reaching for my own stuff. But id recommend it to anybody lookin for a good Bourbon.
What is the price point on that these days? Still about 50 bux?
I gave $60 for a 750.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Visiting friends in Philadelphia I thought I'd try something new to me. We bought a bottle of Larceny small batch bourbon. Not very good IMO. Has enough heads to be harsh and tastes like it maybe spent a week in wood just to get some color. At least it was cheap.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I think one of the best values to be had out there is Knob Creek at Sams club for 27 bucks. Its really a damn fine 9 year old 100 proof bourbon, and at $27 it beats out many of the $50+ craft bottles on the shelf, IMHO.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Sipping on a little Four Roses single barrel over ice while doing a stripping run now. Got a deal at the local supermarket at $24/750 ml bottle.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I got a 40#r of bullet burbon. Compared to my UJSSM and the UJSSM wins hands down now that its 6 months on oak.

B
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Jimbo wrote:I think one of the best values to be had out there is Knob Creek at Sams club for 27 bucks. Its really a damn fine 9 year old 100 proof bourbon, and at $27 it beats out many of the $50+ craft bottles on the shelf, IMHO.

Gonna give that a try. Thanks.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

bitter wrote:I got a 40#r of bullet burbon. Compared to my UJSSM and the UJSSM wins hands down now that its 6 months on oak.

B

I like the rye better than the bourbon.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I find gems at Trader Joe's every once in a while. Last fall I found a Clavados, from France, Duc De Normandie that quickly sold out that was very nice for only $20. So now I check the selection each week.

This week I found a Grappa by Del Piemonte (375 ml) that I liked for $6. Never had one but kind of tasted like almonds.

Also found a straight corn whiskey by the name Leghorn which I enjoyed. It was aged for 6 years in a used bourbon barrel and was only $9 for a 750 ml bottle. I've tasted a number of corn whisky's that were marketed as moonshine that all tasted like crap.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Virgin bourbon, 101 proof, 7 years old, change left from a $20 even after paying confiscatory sales tax. Oh, that is for a 1750ml not a 750ml. One heck of a value buy. Worth looking for.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thinking of getting a couple more vodkas with which to compare what will I think at this stage will be 5 times distilled. I have done some to four times so far through the pot still and am fairly hopeful it will be good.
I re-ran the feints from the first and second distillations in the next runs, but kept the feints from the third run (and probably later runs) for gin.
I have Grey Goose and Smirnoff vodka so probably have the market nearly 'bracketed' ...(I think there is one or two below Smirnoff)

Some of what I am re-running I thought was equal to the worst of maybe five commercial vodkas.

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Been a while but I finally found one of my old favorites . Captain Morgan Black Rum. This has been off the shelves in my neck of the woods for maybe close to 10 years ...for some reason the retail shops only sell the sickly Spiced Rum version ....fair crack ...who drinks this shit .
Captain Morgan Black.jpg
And Bundy Rum is one of my other Favorites . Now these two rums are nothing alike so its not like you could say I only like Islay single Malts ...which incidentally I also like .

This VAT232 Bundy Rum caught my eye as its a new release . For those that don't know Bundaberg Rum Distillery is in Queensland Australia and they traditionally age their Rums in humongous Raw American Oak vats . The Rum has a quite unique flavour ...its a Love it or Hate it Rum . I have always been intrigued what the predominant flavor in this Rum has been . So as this has been aged in the one Vat for 6 years I was curios to see if it would taste like the less mature Bundy UP or OP they sell or more like the barrel aged offerings they are selling at extortionate prices . To my surprise it tasted like the Less mature stuff ( way smoother ) but convinced me that the Vat aging was what gives this Bundy Rum its special Characteristic Smell and flavor. For those that hate Bundy I would say give it a go ...it has the rough edge knocked off it but still has that Bundy character
Bundy 232.jpg
I will be the first to stick my hand up and say I prefer store bought Rum to home made ....there is no pride or wanker here ...its just the way it is for me . Commercial Rum has a certain something that I have not been able to find in home distilled and aged .
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Been asked by a friend to buy him some 8 year old Glen Kirk Scotch while on vacation in Arizona & California. I have not tried it but it's 19.95 a bottle and he thinks it's as good as the $50.00 scotch he usually buys.
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

Costco's Kirkland 12yo scotch blend and Jameson Caskmates Stout edition from the Sarnia duty free.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Since I've dropped down the rabbit hole, I stop in the local ABC store regularly just to see what's there, price points and how they are marketed and packaged.
Also, I look at the miniatures to see if there's something I want to taste. Recently bought a sip of Larceny, and a Cane Run rum that I thought said 12 year - it was RECIPE #12. But it had a nice rich taste and smooth sip for 99 cents. Also a few months ago I had to buy some Tequila to toast my Dad on Father's Day.
I'm not big on Tequila since a certain night about 30 years ago. :sick:
But just looking for a small bottle of something, the clerk told me the Olmeca Altos. Cheap and according him, better taste than Patron.
I've never tasted Patron, so what do I care. Anyway, took my sons to the cemetery, toasted my Dad and left him a glass full.
I know, sounds more pagan than Methodist, but it was a good day.
The last time I was there, I noticed the change of a LOT of well known names from Bourbon to "American" or "Kentucky" Whiskey.
Now 20% Bourbon blended with 80% NGS.
But that's for another thread
Cheers!

:mrgreen:
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Along with tobacco (I roll my own), a bottle of Cuervo's new gold...took a sip and am saving it for when my still stops working or I have some company I don't like !!!!!!
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well guilty again .
A bottle of JD and a bottle of Gordens Dry Gin ...in farness , we have been in a drought and we are still waiting for the water man to deliver us som water next week . Can't even do the washing ...been at the luandrymate for weeks .Distilling and putting down washes ain't happening :thumbdown:

Whats pissing me off is I got all these Botanicals from Salt Bush Bill to do a real Gin and I can't :sick:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

A bottle of Wild Turkey Honey so there is some there for my son's wife when she calls, she drinks it with Coke Zero.
Another bottle of vodka; I will have maybe five to compare with my five times pot distilled. If it is better than the worst commercial vodka I will be satisfied for now....
Grey Goose it is not.

Geoff
The Baker
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Keg of amberbach for the kegerator....

Keg of angry orchard before that.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I bought a really nice bottle of New Deal White Rum from the distillery.

I've been making a lot of rum lately and am looking for something to compare my rums with. I wanted something that I knew what it was made of and how it was made, and I was fortunate enough to meet the owner of New Deal and he told me. I tried lots of bad (to me) rums before I found this one that I like very much. :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve, which has always been one of my favorites. Sadly, I don’t like it as much as my own anymore. Even Blanton’s, which has been the benchmark that I judge everything by doesn’t please me as much.

I’m not by any stretch saying that I make a better product than either of them, it’s just that I’ve developed a taste for my own, I guess.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

My last visit to the liquor store I grabbed a bottle of Tullamore Dew in hopes of making Irish Car Bombs. Unfortunately they didn't have any Guinness, so I've been drinking it neat. I'd have to say that this my favorite store-bought drink.

To anyone who likes Jameson, you owe it to yourself to try Tullamore Dew. IMO, it's way better. It's actually cheaper than Jameson in my neck of the woods too
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

The Baker wrote:A bottle of Wild Turkey Honey so there is some there for my son's wife when she calls, she drinks it with Coke Zero.
Struck me as kinda funny to get sugar laden liquor to pour into a diet soda. So I checked. 2 oz WTH = 17 grams sugar. 5 oz coca cola classic = 16 grams sugar. Of course they taste different and everybody has preferences, just seemed funny.
My last bottle was Plantation rum. At somewhere around $15 a bottle I think its a decent value rum.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Nah, Coke zero. No sugar.
I drink Coke Classic!
By itself or with rum.

Geoff
The Baker