What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor store?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

zapata
Distiller

Re: What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor st

Post by zapata »

With ya there. I'd take wild turkey and coke over WT honey and coke zero any day, and be getting less sugar!
I did actually have a coke life and corn today and it was not bad at all. If ya don't know, coke life is sweetened with cane sugar and stevia. Tasted just a bit thin compared to coke classic but not artificial at all.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

There’s also a WT Honey Sting, which has ghost peppers.

As far as I can find, it’s the only spicy whiskey on the market that doesn’t use cinnamon. It’s too sweet for me, but I love that ghost pepper flavor.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

raketemensch wrote:There’s also a WT Honey Sting, which has ghost peppers.

As far as I can find, it’s the only spicy whiskey on the market that doesn’t use cinnamon. It’s too sweet for me, but I love that ghost pepper flavor.
Saw it in the shop but was not brave enough to buy it for the daughter-in-law!

Geoff
The Baker
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Polish vodka in Krakow.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

The Baker wrote:
raketemensch wrote:There’s also a WT Honey Sting, which has ghost peppers.

Saw it in the shop but was not brave enough to buy it for the daughter-in-law!

Geoff
Funny, I only tried it because a friend got it as a gift, and stopped by my house and said, “you like spicy stuff, right?” Too much for him, I guess. A couple of ice cubes cut down the sugar a bit, it’s still one of my favorite sippers.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve about a month ago. Damned if it ain't almost empty already. It's good. It's changed my distilling goals, as now I aim to make whiskey as good as Woodford. My new favourite!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

after a spree of various Rye Whiskies.... i didnt get anything for a good long while.

but on a recent trip out of town, i picked up a Tequila, Don Julio Anejo ...

thats some smooth Tequila :D

the other I didnt buy but a friend brought from Sonora Mexico, Bacanora,
which is a fun sip, it seems smokey as as an Islay and yummm
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

+1 on the Don Julio Anejo, good stuff. Recently got a bottle of "the bad stuff" after meeting the distiller.

Most recent purchase was a bottle of gin from Half Hitch Distilling. Had a great time visiting with the distiller and they make a good product. I believe it is on distribution in the states.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Angel's Envy Rye, 95% rye grainbill. Big surprise, I picked up their bourbon several years ago, didn't care for it, too headsy. Their rye is amazing, a bit of water and time to open and it is dessert in a glass. Wonderful stuff, unlike anything I have ever tasted. Just delicious!
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

just sayin wrote:Angel's Envy Rye, 95% rye grainbill. Big surprise, I picked up their bourbon several years ago, didn't care for it, too headsy. Their rye is amazing, a bit of water and time to open and it is dessert in a glass. Wonderful stuff, unlike anything I have ever tasted. Just delicious!
Rastus wrote:after a spree of various Rye Whiskies.... i didnt get anything for a good long while.

If you guys like rye whiskey you gotta try Canadian Club 100% Rye, it's my go-to commercial whiskey!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Thanks Antler, I will keep an eye out for it.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Antler24 wrote:
just sayin wrote:Angel's Envy Rye, 95% rye grainbill. Big surprise, I picked up their bourbon several years ago, didn't care for it, too headsy. Their rye is amazing, a bit of water and time to open and it is dessert in a glass. Wonderful stuff, unlike anything I have ever tasted. Just delicious!
Rastus wrote:after a spree of various Rye Whiskies.... i didnt get anything for a good long while.

If you guys like rye whiskey you gotta try Canadian Club 100% Rye, it's my go-to commercial whiskey!
its good to hear some referrals i live in a small town that just in the last year opened a likker store after about 3 decades ... so the choices are slim but when i travel i try and pick up a little bit for my lazy phazes when i dont make my own.

2 years ago i went to oregon for a few days and sat at a bar and sampled a few of the different Rye whiskeys and discovered the Colonel E H Taylor straight rye... a little spendy but i keep it on the top shelf for special occasions. I had to pull it down just now to confirm the correct name.... hmmm still have half a bottle... need to make some more special occasions.

:D
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

Wasn't purchased was a gift...Knappogue Castle 16 yr Single Malt. Finished in sherry casks. 3 fingers in a short glass, 1 cube. An almost religious experience. If I could make stuff that tasted like this, I'd be dead.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

"Prestige" brand brandy. I occasionally buy their whisky too. I like the more expensive stuff too but I find this brand to be pretty decent for a bottom shelf brand. The whisky is roughly on par with Evan Williams if my taste buds tell true. The brandy is just mellow and smooth.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Chixter wrote:Wasn't purchased was a gift...Knappogue Castle 16 yr Single Malt. Finished in sherry casks. 3 fingers in a short glass, 1 cube. An almost religious experience. If I could make stuff that tasted like this, I'd be dead.
Ain't it the truth...
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer