What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor store?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Halfbaked
retired

Re: What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor st

Post by Halfbaked »

I walked in for a bottle of George Dickel #8 (which I like) and walked out with a handle of white label Jim Beam. I was feeling pretty good about my purchase for the price diff. HUGE mistake. I have never had a run taste that bad in the raw. I think maybe if I can put it back for when friends come over that are not really friends but muchers. Stupid cheap ass!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

halfbaked wrote:I walked in for a bottle of George Dickel #8 (which I like) and walked out with a handle of white label Jim Beam. I was feeling pretty good about my purchase for the price diff. HUGE mistake. I have never had a run taste that bad in the raw. I think maybe if I can put it back for when friends come over that are not really friends but muchers. Stupid cheap ass!
Just think. They think its good. Or they wouldn't sell it. Or would they?
I use to be a huge beam fan. I can't even look at it now. :sick:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I am worried about tastein it twice. I used to think it was good also a year or so ago. I taste raw, heads, nasty. I have to dig a hole my shelf doesn't go that low. Any idea of what to do to choke it down? Hell Paul Jones is lookin good compared to this.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Grape coolaid. Don't laugh. It will make a lot of things go down smoother. Lmao
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Prairiepiss wrote:Grape coolaid. Don't laugh. It will make a lot of things go down smoother. Lmao
LMAO ! PURKLE JESUS :thumbup: Man ! You can swallow any kind of a headache with that reciepe .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I went back to the likker store and got some GA moon peach flavored moonshine. HOPING for a good drink but not expecting much because of the price and rep. The first sip was not to good. I hit the bottle for a second sip the next day and somewhat amazed. WOW cheap likker that don't suck. Maybe my standards were lower from the Jim Beam but pretty decent for $14. My cheap A-- didn't learn on the cheap side but not to bad. The heads cut, well damn it there seemed to be one and I could tell the flavor was added and the nose was fake but pretty fake but good and there was some tales but really really a pretty decent warming of my chest but not overpowering. It isn't mixin likkker but sluggin likker. I am embarrased to say the best value for the dollar in a while. Ga Moon is known for their bottom of the barrel stuff but this seemed to come from the top part of it. It was only 70 proof and I have had a sip or 12 I guess its a lady drink but will do it again. OK, maybe I miss makin my own stuff.
et oh brute
Novice

Post by et oh brute »

Buffalo trace, Balvenie double wood, Normandy calvados. Gotta have references.

And (4) 1 gal glass jugs of organic apple juice...
oldgrouch62
Novice

Post by oldgrouch62 »

Evan Williams Black. It's always on sale somewhere and oddly it's the only store bourbon that doesn't give me a hangover. Not the greatest tasting stuff but not bad or rough either. I am at a loss but not unhappily so! :P
What you don't know, can hurt you. Keep reading.

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for Security, deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin
Deezil
Swill Maker

Post by Deezil »

Fireball, Jim beam.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Compass Box's "Great King Street " blended Scotch whisky, absolutely delicious! It came very highly recommended, so when I finally saw it, I bought two.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

I bought some of what I took to be "middle shelf" vodka. Distilled in Poland, from wheat, bizarrely re-distilled in France in a copper pot (so the label said).
Well, I don't know what they do to vodka, but it is just as nasty tasting as I remember it being.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

halfbaked wrote:I am worried about tastein it twice. I used to think it was good also a year or so ago. I taste raw, heads, nasty. I have to dig a hole my shelf doesn't go that low. Any idea of what to do to choke it down?
Real shit can be made palatable by being added to hot toddy, hot chocolate, coffee, whatever. Seems to drive off the worst of the poison!
Lazarus Long
Swill Maker

Post by Lazarus Long »

Pappy Van Winkle. First time I had anything out of a bottle that impressed me.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Lazarus Long wrote:Pappy Van Winkle. First time I had anything out of a bottle that impressed me.
I have heard that was dern good.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Pappy is pretty out there as far as bourbons go. 10 year stuff is very oaky with pronounced oxidation, but super tasty too. Very nice drop indeed.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Jimbo wrote:Pappy is pretty out there as far as bourbons go. 10 year stuff is very oaky with pronounced oxidation, but super tasty too. Very nice drop indeed.
I've been trying to buy a bottle for about 6 months. No luck. Had a guy offer to trade me an unopened bottle (15 year) for a Bushmaster AR, but I couldn't do it. Just wanna see what the ultimate competition is.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Truckinbutch wrote:
Prairiepiss wrote:Grape coolaid. Don't laugh. It will make a lot of things go down smoother. Lmao
LMAO ! PURKLE JESUS :thumbup: Man ! You can swallow any kind of a headache with that reciepe .

Oh man.... bringing back bad memories there. Holiday Inn....bathtub.... never mind...
MadMasher
Swill Maker

Post by MadMasher »

Liquor store 20 mins away started selling beer close to best before date for $12 a case. This isn't crap beer either, drinking some Sam Adams winter lager right now, usually 18 bucks a 12 pack. Works out well since my ferments have all slowed with this cold weather and I already drank my reserves. Anyway, my last purchase(s) were a case of Sam Adams and a case of Harpoon variety pack.
People talk about my drinking but never about my thirst.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

Picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel. Cost about $34.00. Wanted to try something new. All in all, not too bad. The initial flavor, to hit the tongue is rather odd, to me. Have you you ever gone to a historic log cabin, or something along those lines? The way the interior smells, when it smells good. That is the best way I have, to describe the initial taste. After that, which doesn't last long, finishes nice and smooth like any good bourbon. I would suggest it, as a one time thing, just to try. Some may like it, some may not. I'm still up in the air. I only drink my good bourbon out of a Glencairn, and still have 4/5ths of a bottle to make a final decision.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Christian Bros brandy. I love brandies and this may be my last store-bought bottle now that I've got a good handle on how my equipment works.
Eight gallons of apple juice going in the fermenter sometime this week after I clear out the BW from one of them. Image

tp
ohyeahyeah
Swill Maker

Post by ohyeahyeah »

Wiser's Red Letter Rye. Yum.
152dbs
Novice

Post by 152dbs »

Finally tried me some Blanton's Bourbon. This stuff actually impressed me. It's definitely not cheap, but I'd say its worth it. Stuck at Disney for 3 days....this will help take the edge off after waiting in countless lines for countless hours around countless brats.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Wife ran to pick herself up a small bottle of Malibu (why she drinks this stuff, i'll never understand . . . coconut belongs in pie). She picked me up a bottle of Lot 40. Only had a little tester as i'm headed out for an early visit with friends, but it was pretty darn good.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Pretty good stuff here.
Attachments
Irish Whiskey.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I think my wife bought a bottle at Costco just before Christmas for family to use with mixed drink.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

LWTCS wrote:Pretty good stuff here.
That there is a fine Irish pot stilled whiskey, about 60 € here, don't want to know how much it set you back on your side of the pond
Don't be a dick
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

Swedish Pride wrote:
LWTCS wrote:Pretty good stuff here.
That there is a fine Irish pot stilled whiskey, about 60 € here, don't want to know how much it set you back on your side of the pond
About a year ago going from Canada to the US, I stopped at the Duty Free store before crossing. I picked up a bottle of "Pretty good stuff here" for about $30USD at my wifes urging. It's about double that now. Yeah, it's not pretty good, it's damn good. Should have got a case.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I don't remember....
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

It was 65 USD.
It's perhaps the best whiskey I have ever personally tasted.

Had some Suntory last week and was lovely. But not as special as this Redbreast.