What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor store?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

noobshine
Swill Maker

Re: What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor st

Post by noobshine »

rum flor de cana (in Spanish ron) I used to jog by their distillery 5X/wk in Honduras when I was in high school. 1st drink I ever got drunk off of. that was a really bad night. next week I had to change my jogging route because of the smell
This is kind of embarrassing but sometimes I like to smell my own backset
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I have an unopened bottle of Dewar's... But I have some Gerber Barley that I ran in hybrid mode that ended up at 146 proof when blended that has a taste profile more to my liking when tempered down...
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Paul Mason vsop brandy. Cheap $14 for 1/5. Not bad
Buckshot
Novice

Post by Buckshot »

Buffalo Trace white dog, taste just like what I make, except for the rye aftertaste. I was impressed.
JBAR9
Bootlegger

Post by JBAR9 »

Seems as though I buy less and less liquor the more I distill.

Last I bought was a bottle of Seagrams Whiskey-still love making 7 and 7s-and never end up with a hangover if I stick with it for the night
My lady and I like rye whiskey, havent tried making any myself yet-bought some High West Rendezvous Rye-its good and smooth
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I bought some Kilbeggan 18 year old Irish whiskey and some 12 year old Macallans single malt Scotch whisky. Pretty darned good stuff. It is said that we can make a better booze because we are not greedy and make good cuts. Unfortunately there is no substitute for the smoothness and flavor that time gives. My whiskies are good but do not have all the subtleties that these whiskeys have.
Mike Lawry
Novice

Post by Mike Lawry »

Evan Williams is what I mostly buy because its cheap.

When I can step it up I like Arkansas Lightning + Wild Turkey Rye.

Mike Lawry.
Hawkeye3
Novice

Post by Hawkeye3 »

Ran out of my own vodka so it was a 1.75 of Svedka. And two 1.5's of chardonnay for the wifey. Next, ??? Trying to get into ryes and scotch so Monkey Shoulder scotch or Whistle Pig Rye?
PSIIHC and lovin' it.
"The Ultimate Result of Protecting Men From The Acts Of Folly Is To Fill The World With Fools" ...Herbert Spencer
Cardinalbags
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cardinalbags »

To be precise to the original question..... when was the last time you bought something at the liquor store......

With the exception of breaking down recently and buying a bottle of Baileys for my weekend morning coffee...(and that was the local mom and papa corner store authorized to sell liquor and not a real government run liquor store) I haven't been inside a liquor store now in 1.5 years. I still have a 24 of Alexander Keiths IPA sitting unopened in my garage that i keep for company just in case i run out of home made beer.

I cant stand paying the outrageous prices that we have to pay for government booze here in Canada. I have taken a personal vow to never buy government booze again (Baileys excluded until I can find an exact and I mean exact match).

DOWN WITH THE TAX MAN!!!! Bwahahahahaha
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

@Cardinal - I am not sure if it is available in yer area, but Forty Creek makes a nice cream now ... not as harsh as baileys ... as a sub, and if available, try the "Sangsters" rum cream from Jamaica ... very nice stuff ... hard to find

Hint - "fortify" it with a bit of homemade rum or birdwatchers ... ;)
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
cisco_rider
Novice

Post by cisco_rider »

Chinaco tequila anejo and clear creek brandy I have a tequila and brandy cellar I only buy a few bottles a year but I try to make them count I really don't collect anything else
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

My liqour store sells my smoking supplies, as well. $13 for a bag of tobacco and a box of tubes with filters. Beats paying $50ish, for a carton. With the "leftover" cash, I picked up a bottle of Turkey 101, and was still ahead of the game. Usually just pick up the smoking supplies, though.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
cisco_rider
Novice

Post by cisco_rider »

Wow I used to love wild turkey when I was young I have 101 tattooed across my shin I am pretty sure I have had one of every thing they made used to love the rare breed
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

The KYChemist wrote:My liqour store sells my smoking supplies, as well. $13 for a bag of tobacco and a box of tubes with filters. Beats paying $50ish, for a carton.
Wow! People around here would kill for cartons of cigarettes for $50. You can't even get the generics around here for under $70. That was the main reason I quit smoking cigarettes... the price. And I quit when they hit $5 a pack (about 10 years ago).

But back on topic... I just ordered a bottle of "Baby Blue" from Balcones Distillery as well as a bottle of "Brimstone". I've never had any of the Balcones whiskeys but the last ADI catalog (as well as the internet in general) showed Balcones winning awards all over the place and people are raving about their whiskeys. I've never seen them in liquor stores near me but I absolutely have to try them. Anybody have a review of either of these whiskeys? Did I waste $50 a piece on these bottles, or will I be pleasantly surprised? They won't be delivered until the end of February and the anticipation is killing me.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

bought a bottle of Kracken, just love the stuff but I now find I can taste the heads in it.
Sure would love to replicate it without heads.
ohyeahyeah
Swill Maker

Post by ohyeahyeah »

Friend gave me a bottle of rum from cuba the other night, Ron Arecha.
Decanol
Novice

Post by Decanol »

A Zacapa Rum (the 23) - don't normally spend a lot on spirits, but it was recommended to me by a friend, and it was Christmas. Gautemalan

Cant go wrong (unless you want to spend even more on the Zacapa XO)

I will be getting a Cuban rum next - a SanDiago Cuban. Not as expensive as the Zacapa 23.

the problem with these rums is that they don't seem to last very long
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

RandyMarsh,
They are worth the wait. I enjoy Balcones! I tried Baby Blue on the advice of Ralfy Mitchell, my "Scotch Guru" from Isle of Skye, Scotland, of Ralfy's Whisky Reviews. Ralfy liked Baby Blue (review 390) and scored it- 88 (reference he scored Johnnie Walker Blue- 82, review 243!). I liked it well enough to go back for True Blue 100 and Texas Malt Whisky. Given the young age, they are surprisingly enjoyable drams. ......Just Sayin'
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Beer, actually. I hardly ever buy likker in the likker store any more.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I picked up a bottle of scotch on a whim, whilst there to peruse the assorted oddball grain whiskey selection. Its a 'Lismore' from Speyside. Not the greatest. Now I know why it was on sale for 22 bucks.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

glendfich and johhny walker double black. Awesome stuff. The walker is much better, You can really taste the wood from the cask. The glenfich came with free whisky stones so it seemed like a good buy lol.
Hawkeye3
Novice

Post by Hawkeye3 »

Last purchase, yesterday. Black Box 3 ltr Malbec. Just looking for a decent "sit'n suck" red wine for the wife and I.
PSIIHC and lovin' it.
"The Ultimate Result of Protecting Men From The Acts Of Folly Is To Fill The World With Fools" ...Herbert Spencer
bayouman62
Novice

Post by bayouman62 »

Jim Beam, Red Stag, Black Cherry. The drink of Kid Rock
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Rip Van Winkle, 10yr Bourbon, lots of flavours detected. I asked the ABC store to be on the list for Pappy Van Winkle 20 or 23yr, but this came in.
But I still like the Jim Beam Double Barrel Black better.
-Just need something else to build. -
snooka
Novice

Post by snooka »

CM for me. Check out a website called Caskers, lots of cool stuff there!
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

My last purchase from the liquor store was just before I got my flute running and if I have anything to do with it I will never buy anything again from the liquor store. My only regret is that it took me so so long to jump on the band wagon making my own.
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I usually buy a bottle from a micro-distillery I've visited to support the local small businesses. I also purchase from stores when traveling by air as it is very hard to bring your own. Trouble is, as for most of us here we are spoiled so I have to spend a lot more money to get a decent sip!
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Bought 2 pint size bottles from the new local micro distillery, one vodka and one whiskey, there they sit in the liquer cabinet, me or the better half can't gag either of them down. A tiny sample at the distillery didn't taste to bad but after getting them home :wtf:
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
Old Hippie
Novice

Post by Old Hippie »

Lot 40, Canada's answer to American Rye. Usually try to stay one bottle ahead of myself so it's time to make that little trip tomorrow. Best damn rye I've ever had and a constant source of inspiration. Also I keep Screech around for "Lighthouse Cocktails" -- rum in hot water, the favourite drink of the old lighthouse keepers in Atlantic Canada.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

It's pretty rare for me to buy a bottle but a man has to do his research. So the other night I picked up a bottle of Bulleit bourbon. A decent enough drink but not up to the hype I have heard.
Ruined by my own spirits? I like to think so.