How many of you are alcoholics?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How many of you are alcoholics?

Post by WooTeck »

you are only drinking to much if you cant live up to your responsibilities in my opinion. the nightly pint or 3 with a few night caps aint so bad.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

About 60 oz a week. Sounds better if I say "A bit under 2 quarts". LOL
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Well I guess I'm probably closer to one quart than to two. So I got that goin for me! ;)
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

What a "girly man" LOL
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well according to my loving girlfriend.....I can't drink every day and not be an alcoholic. I usually drink one or two beers and anywhere from none to half a pint of good stuff after work. I don't miss many days, usually have a good reason if I do. Lol.

I'm happy with my current rate of consumption. It keeps me happy and its a far far cry from how much I drank say 5 or 6 years ago. Besides, the way I see it a man that works 12hrs a day deserves a cold one when he gets home!!!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I can't be an alcoholic. I wouldn't have enough to share if I was.

tp
packhorse
Novice

Post by packhorse »

Im not an alcoholic.
They go to meetings.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

packhorse wrote:Im not an alcoholic.
They go to meetings.
+1

I'm a drunk.

I go to parties. :lol: :lol:
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

aceswired wrote:Well I guess I'm probably closer to one quart than to two. So I got that goin for me! ;)
witch is nice
ETOH.... yes plz
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Reminds me of a T-shirt I once had...
T-shirt wrote:I have no drinking problem!
I Drink.
I get Drunk.
I fall down.
No problem!
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

rad14701 wrote:Reminds me of a T-shirt I once had...
T-shirt wrote:I have no drinking problem!
I Drink.
I get Drunk.
I fall down.
No problem!
reminds me of a t. i once had.
i don't have an attitude problem.
you have a perception problem.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Am I an alcoholic? Probably
I make my own, and drink it in a controlled environment. "at home"
No one is endangered by my drinking, not even me. That makes it a personal thing.
I've been drinking for over half a century, and slowly drinking less every year.
The end will come after the drinking stops.
Just started a fermentation that will be aged on white oak for a dadburn long time.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I went on a diet and gave up drinking for 2 weeks once. The only thing I lost was 14 days.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

StillLearning1 wrote:Well according to my loving girlfriend.....I can't drink every day and not be an alcoholic. I usually drink one or two beers and anywhere from none to half a pint of good stuff after work. I don't miss many days, usually have a good reason if I do. Lol.

I'm happy with my current rate of consumption. It keeps me happy and its a far far cry from how much I drank say 5 or 6 years ago. Besides, the way I see it a man that works 12hrs a day deserves a cold one when he gets home!!!
well, i hope she likes alcoholics.

if you work 12 a day, you deserve whatever you want for the other 12...you don't have time to have an alcohol problem, unless you're a tarbender and it's a one for you, two for me kinda bar.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
tonyw30
Novice

Post by tonyw30 »

I used to drink a lot...... I used to and I still do too.... :thumbup:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Alco's and wineo's are lost to beer and wine, we here are much more spiritual than that sad end 8) :lol: :lol: :moresarcasm:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

if you sell your soul. you gotta soak up all the spirits you can :twisted:
johnny108
Bootlegger

Post by johnny108 »

When I started homebrewing/distilling (late '90's), I drank only one of whatever I had created, before I handed it out to family, or hosted parties with it. Maybe one or two
drinks a week. This was despite having multiple carboys of 95% neutral laying around, along with gallons of every other type of spirit, and kegs of beer of all types.
Had to leave the hobby when I joined the Army in '04. Started drinking commercial. More and more after each deployment. By the time I got out (8 years later), I'd been killing a liter of commercial 40-50% daily, and two on Saturday, for about a year, and still passing all PT tests (in the upper 10%, too).
Never got the shakes, but, realized it was increasing again after a friend's death; so I stopped.
Now, getting back into the hobby after 3 years of recovery from a knee injury, I'm back to the only one of each batch, before taking it to a party.
LG11
Novice

Post by LG11 »

aceswired wrote:I've been thinking about my consumption lately. I've got three-year-old twins. I was always a fan of whiskey before they were born. But after, having a whiskey (prolly 2-3 oz) before bed became part of my routine. I needed to unwind (more than ever in the 2s and 3s!). Over time, my one drink occasionally became 1.5 or 2. And since I started making my own a couple of months ago, my 1.5-2 has become 2-3. Pretty much nightly. And if I don't do it, I miss it. Don't get the shakes or anything like that, but I do miss it.

I'm a good sized guy (6-1, 230), but I'm starting to worry that
A) I'm starting to become dependent on it
B) I might be starting to cross a line where I need to be concerned about my liver
C) That it could continue to escalate.

Several times I've told myself that I'd limit myself to two, and I usually do pretty well with that for a spell. But then there'll be a night where I'm watching a good ballgame or a movie or something, and I go for 3. And like a dieter cheating on his diet, that's quickly the end of the self-limitation. I've never been particularly skilled at self-denial.

When I last saw my doctor, I got the standard "How many drinks per week" question. When I thought about it, realized that adding in the occasional beer or glass of wine (not much, but it adds a couple a week), my number was in the 20s. That's when it hit me. How much do you all think is too much, bearing in mind I'm still hanging onto my 30s and want the use of my liver for another good half a century? I'm feeling like my number needs to be in the teens. I know some alcohol is good for us, but I think I've sailed past that mark.
I dont drink because I cant, but reading this brought back some memories of a family member with young kids. They had a little girl of 3 who stopped breathing one night, the assumption is she just stopped but no one really knows and no one heard anything. They wouldnt of heard anyway as it had been a heavy night apparently and they woke 11am with one kid crying and one who would cry no more.
It destroyed this person because the doubt he had about had there been any noise or signal the child was in distress? The doctors couldnt say 100% it had been silent and the doubt set in, what if he hadnt been rat arsed? would he have heard? Guilt is a terrible thing and not knowing if you should feel guilty is even worse.
I dont know if you have a clinical problem however clearly you are concerned, therefore to me that makes it a problem. Any time you have doubt about something dont do it, it dosnt matter what size you are or what others do or do not do. If it is niggling you then you need to sort it out, it takes guts to ask the question to yourself and even more to answer it honestly.
It isnt about going a day without a drink...............If you can go a day without a drink crossing your mind your safe, if you can go a day without but think about having one then its time to evaluate it. If you cant go a day without then it aint gong to matter what others say, you have reached the point where reason will do no good and its going to be down to you to sort it out.

So in answer to your question do I think your an alcoholic? No I dont, Do I think drink is potentially a problem for you? Yes I do based purely on the fact it has crossed your mind, I would say you are at the stage where you can sort it out fairly easy.
I work in the industry a great deal, I speak with many many distillers who taste there work daily. You can spot those with a problem a mile off but none of them are even aware of it. Funny enough while I dont drink because I cant, I know I would quickly have problems if I did. I am just that kinda person who would take it to excess...................... Maybe its luck my liver cant process ETHANOL
LG
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

LG11 wrote:Maybe its luck my liver cant process ETHANOL
LG
damn LG good to see your still about. would suck to be in the industry, have access to a yeast bank and loads of wounder full spirits but not be able to sample them.
LG11
Novice

Post by LG11 »

Funny enough I love the smell of fermentation, but hate the smell of alcohol once its distilled and bottled! Turns my stomach these days.
I started doing it at home around Christmas time to get some home brew data for here, I enjoy the process and my friends love the taste! I also enjoy a certificate of exemption as I am classified as a laboratory :D.
I dont miss drink at all but recently stopped smoking! Man thats tough
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

I quit a 41 year Copenhagen habit one year ago,
Yep I am today 53 so you can do the math.

My blood pressure dropped from 174/138 to 117/73 in two weeks
Knowing that I could have a massive stroke at any minute, and never
See my wife again was all I needed to make it pretty easy to quit

Stay the course

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Happy birthday buddy!
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Ignor the ignorant
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ignor the ignorant »

Damn , i thought alcohol was a preservative, the more i drink the longer i last.

A proper English gallon ( @ 40% abv ) a week too much?
LG11
Novice

Post by LG11 »

Isnt that the problem? there isnt such a thing as too much, everyone is different and only when you get to the very top limits does it affect everyone. Alcohol is only a problem if it causes you or someone else a problem, the real problem is it needs the individual to be utterly honest with themselves and few can do that.
Often in bars we see drunk people that are annoying to everyone, ask them the next morning about the night before and they would swear they caused no one any harm, most would be totally unaware that others were affected by the way they behaved.
So to me if someone close to you goes on about your drinking, or if you have doubts yourself then its time to do something. There isnt a magic number of units as such and each person differs, having lived with someone with a drink problem in the past I can tell you its a nightmare and affects everyone around them. Dont get me wrong I dont think getting drunk now and then is a problem, for me its more about those that cant function without a drink. The people who say I drink every night because I want too not because I have too, but if you take drink away from them for a month its on there mind every day. That too me is someone that is dependent
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

LG11 wrote: most would be totally unaware that others were affected by the way they behaved.
alcohol or no, in my observance of the human condition "most would be totally unaware that others were affected by the way they behaved."

I have a much bigger problem with enablers than the people they are enabling. (if you take your SOH a dozen beer because they are too drunk/lazy/stupid/opportunistic/emotionally ill equipped etc.etc.etc.... to get off the sofa and get their own likker.) thats a bigger problem to me.

personally i'd rather be dependent on alcohol than be so desperate to need the assistance or the approval of another person to assist or approve my vices. If you don't like me as i am...go away. I don't need to be fixed, thank you very much.

now i drink for evil.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I kinda love you hd
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

I lice you too brutha.

PWI

now i drink for evil.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

HDNB wrote: personally i'd rather be dependent on alcohol than be so desperate to need the assistance or the approval of another person to assist or approve my vices. If you don't like me as i am...go away. I don't need to be fixed, thank you very much.
:lol: :clap:
a few to many tonight? :moresarcasm:
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

I like to get fucked up.... there you go :clap:
ETOH.... yes plz