How many of you are alcoholics?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How many of you are alcoholics?

Post by T-Pee »

Jimbo wrote:Aerosmith wasnt singing about Big 10 centimeter records....
CENTIMETER? :wtf:

tp
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Millimeter?

You didnt tell us you know Giada tp
Giada.JPG
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Jimbo wrote:Millimeter?

You didnt tell us you know Giada tp
Biblically? No, but her fingers would be a skosh farther apart if I did. :twisted:

tp (The Great Pretender)
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

My units have crept up since last year, I'm averaging about 90 a week! Still I have two days off and American units are 77% more than British ones (thank you wikipeadia) but I would like to get it down a bit. I tend to spike over the weekend as well.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Ive decided its a good thing that I make several different whiskies and distilled spirits, and beer. If I was suckin out of 1 fifth exclusively my drinking habits would be far too revealing, to even myself. Ignorance is bliss. Maybe.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
IrishEnigma
Swill Maker

Post by IrishEnigma »

Jimbo wrote:Ive decided its a good thing that I make several different whiskies and distilled spirits, and beer. If I was suckin out of 1 fifth exclusively my drinking habits would be far too revealing, to even myself. Ignorance is bliss. Maybe.
I learn so much on this website. This will be my plan now.
IE
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
OzKev
Novice

Post by OzKev »

I gave up drinking years back, I now guzzle

The way I see it I probably drink too much, but I enjoy it. It's not effecting anyone around me and it's a better way to unwind than some of these modern antidepressant drugs they push.

edit: not knocking anyone who is one antidepressants
Last edited by OzKev on Mon May 12, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

OzKev wrote: it's a better way to unwind than some of these modern antidepressant drugs they push.
Amen to that. Pharmaceutical companies and doctors will fuckin kill ya for profit. Almost kill ya, they need ya alive,... but not healthy. No money in healthy people, or dead people.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Alcoholics can't live without alchohol. My alcohol can't live without me. I'm not an alcoholic, my alcohol is a meholic.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I tried dieting once, gave up drinking and snacks for 2 weeks. Only thing I lost was 14 days.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Jimbo wrote:I tried dieting once, gave up drinking and snacks for 2 weeks. Only thing I lost was 14 days.
Same for two months and I got a little aged stock. :P

AC
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

I've made one run so far.
Made all my cuts to the best of my ability.
Got 3 liters of hearts 5 liters of heads and tails.
Tried to age the hearts, but it was all gone in days.
Crap...... so I took the tails and tried a Cherry Panty Dropper, hoping it would mask the Tails taste.
Not Bad...... CRAP its now all gone.
Last night I started drinking the heads.........
I hope my next ferment finishes soon!!

So much for making cuts LMAO

This next run will be a double (100liter) so hopefully it will last a few weeks till the next ferment finishes.

How the F^%$ do you guys age your likker??? :D
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

planethax wrote: How the F^%$ do you guys age your likker??? :D
well.... you already answered that, LOL, make rate MUST = (drink rate + ______). The _______ part goes in storage, and after a while, the cabinet gets full, as long as your make rate doesnt slack to less than your drink rate. :shifty:

It doesnt hurt to switch to 55 gal barrels for mashing and fermenting. :mrgreen: I do 70 lbs of grain and 28 gal water at a batch now. Couple of those = 4 12 gallon strippers and 1 nice 10 gal spirit run that makes about 3 gallons of 62% to put in a barrel. (8% AG recipes)
biggeroots
Bootlegger

Post by biggeroots »

Whos the best judge of wether we are or aint an alchoholic! :|
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Planethax save yourself some effort and just drink the wash before it spoils. You are a wino but just dont know it yet!
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

Actually doesn't taste that bad :)
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Well, yeah...it shouldn't.

tp
johnny108
Bootlegger

Post by johnny108 »

My doctor told me to stop drinking.
Then he told me to stop laughing.
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

People have said to me" you must be a pisshead!" but I hardly drink it, maybe a bottle of rum gets a nudge on the odd Saturday night but really I just enjoy making it...such a rewarding hobby making something friends enjoy and satisfying getting it right...that's why I do it.
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
Justafarmer
Novice

Post by Justafarmer »

I don't drink a whole lot. Maybe a quart every two weeks or so. Even at that pace, it was hard to get ahead, until I got to my spirit run of UJ. Now I have enough to age some, and I added two more five gallon fermenters so I can keep going with UJ and start some other stuff, All Bran right now. I'm trying to get as much experience as I can now, before my field corn gets ready to pick. I planted some heirloom Bloody Butcher just for making my first AG liquor with. Well, after a practice run or two with commercial corn, or my sweet corn, if I have enough excess. Anyway, I don't drink a whole lot.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I had a problem with aging. But then I said to hell with it, my next birthday is coming if I want it to or not.

On the serious side, I found it hard to stay out of at first. After all, for I'd say all of us, it's the best likker we ever had unless we knew somebody else who made it.
I drink a half pint, sometimes a pint of 100 proof a day, days without, days with just a sip.

However, to have enough to age, I started doing stripping runs and tossing all together. Can't stand the stuff without cuts, no matter what you put in it. By the time I have my spirit run, I have another stripping run ready to do. Although I do take a bit out when I do a slower run. The flavor from a properly cut and blended single run just can't be beat IMO. Also went from five gallon buckets up to a 20 gallon really helped. Buckets are now for racking off and making beer. Carboy is a decoration (I detest cleaning those things. Great for tossing change in)
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Moosemilk , carboys work fine for holding strip runs for spirit run and also for blending cuts from the spirit run .
>Justafarmer , could you PM me on where you found Bloody Butcher seed ? It used to be prized around here for stillin and corn bread makin . Seems to have disappeared from my area .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
gio
Novice

Post by gio »

If enjoying a few drinks (every :shock: day) makes me an alcoholic, then I am guilty as charged. 8)
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

This is another one of those shades of grey subjects.

I been in the bar trade pretty much since I was old enough to lift a glass.
My mother is a landlady, and my grandad was a landlord.

I seen my share of proper alcoholics.

The old boys who are pressing their noses against the glass and checking their watches if I'm 5 mins late opening.
The ones who's hands are shaking so bad they spill a full quarter of the first drink before they get it to their lips.
The ones who live on benefits, and do nothing all day but stagger from pub to pub because nobody will serve them more than a couple.
The ones who's only friends are the other pissheads they tour the pubs with every single day.

Those are the alcoholics. They chose cheap beer and whisky in large quantities over enjoyment of life and the ability to string together coherent sentences.

I am just a pisshead.
I enjoy a drink, I prefer several!
I don't enjoy drunk. I hate to lose control.

As I said in another thread along the same vein, I am 6'5" and 320lb.
I clear about 120ish units a week, and I can happily drink a bottle of jim beam and still talk straight.

But having said that, when I have a good supply of homebrew, I actually drink less.
The pub I work in clears £100k a week. That means three delivery days, and about three tons of stock each day.
Once I m done, I really want a drink!
On commercial, I'll drain the bottle before the muscles relax and I can forget the day.
On my own neutral, three or four drinks and I can feel the muscles melt and I feel just fine and dandy thank you very much!

If a 90lb hobbit type person drank what I do it would kill them in rather short order.
I know this cos I have seen it happen.

Surgeon general paints a very clear picture that would say I'm an alcoholic.
Might just be that I have different ideas.....
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

I've been thinking about my consumption lately. I've got three-year-old twins. I was always a fan of whiskey before they were born. But after, having a whiskey (prolly 2-3 oz) before bed became part of my routine. I needed to unwind (more than ever in the 2s and 3s!). Over time, my one drink occasionally became 1.5 or 2. And since I started making my own a couple of months ago, my 1.5-2 has become 2-3. Pretty much nightly. And if I don't do it, I miss it. Don't get the shakes or anything like that, but I do miss it.

I'm a good sized guy (6-1, 230), but I'm starting to worry that
A) I'm starting to become dependent on it
B) I might be starting to cross a line where I need to be concerned about my liver
C) That it could continue to escalate.

Several times I've told myself that I'd limit myself to two, and I usually do pretty well with that for a spell. But then there'll be a night where I'm watching a good ballgame or a movie or something, and I go for 3. And like a dieter cheating on his diet, that's quickly the end of the self-limitation. I've never been particularly skilled at self-denial.

When I last saw my doctor, I got the standard "How many drinks per week" question. When I thought about it, realized that adding in the occasional beer or glass of wine (not much, but it adds a couple a week), my number was in the 20s. That's when it hit me. How much do you all think is too much, bearing in mind I'm still hanging onto my 30s and want the use of my liver for another good half a century? I'm feeling like my number needs to be in the teens. I know some alcohol is good for us, but I think I've sailed past that mark.
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

To know how many units I drink I would have to pour it out of the jar. 2 or 3 quarts a week aint too much is it.
ETOH.... yes plz
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

aceswired, what you are consuming is nothing to worry about for a man of your size... We all fall into ritualistic routines and that is all you are noticing... Personally, I can go without drinking but I do like to have several ounces once 9:00pm rolls around... It could be one drink, two, three, or more, depending on the night of the week... Last night, Friday night, I only had two drinks which contained less than 4oz of 80 proof in total... Not so much as a mild buzz from that amount over a few hours... Sure beats the bottle or more that I went through nightly for years back when I was younger, slept little, and still worked hard every day...

Just keep your drinking and your responsibilities in perspective and you'll be fine...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

:thumbup: Rad
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

I get a few drinks now and then, with good friends. Yeh..well it happens we get a bit drunk. :crazy:
I like good food, and of course a glass of wine to it.
My first thoughts as i started with this hobby was "If you build your own still, would you drink more than usual?"
Answer..no.. But i feel very comfortable having a nice supply of homebrew in the basement. :D