How does our product compare to store bought?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

MDH
Distiller

Re: How does our product compare to store bought?

Post by MDH »

With products like Lagavulin, you are dealing with the taste of possibly a hundred or more different barrels with varying toast levels, which have undergone years of hot summers and gradual absorption of air over the winters.

I have said this exact thing on the forum before: We can't make reasonably complex products in less than two years (even if Bryan Davis wants to believe we can, or the guy in Cleveland), from one uniformly toasted piece of oak. Every time I said it, members would retort that their six month old product "kicks the shit out of" much older commercial bourbon (Not my words).

I was just watching videos by Ansley Coale at Germain-Robin. Even in the warm northern California weather of Napa, it still takes decades before those brandies truly reach their height of taste.

The chemistry of aging doesn't lie, and never will. Good things take time.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
engunear
Swill Maker

Post by engunear »

Agree completely.

Just correcting the record after reading notes last night, my comparison was with a 2yr old whiskey made Dec 13 compared to a Glen Moray slightly-more-expensive.

There was an article in Wired a year back about accelerated ageing of whiskey. They mumbled about a patent but whenever I check the patent office nothing new shows past Arroyo. Anyone know what they were talking about?
Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to make whiskey. I think that what we have to say has more lasting value.

Anyone who tells you measurement is easy is a liar, a fool, or both.
realtree71
Novice

Post by realtree71 »

I've saved a few cases of mine every year. I've got 3 cases of my rum that is nearly 10 year old. It's strong but good, back then I bottled at 110. I've also some white a version of sweet feed that's 10. My God is that stuff smooth. It's about 105-110. I started doing all molasses batches about 5 years back and that stuff is really delish.
Oklahoma Sooners