Hard Cider/ Monster Mason Jar

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

SilverBullet
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hard Cider/ Monster Mason Jar

Post by SilverBullet »

Picked up this 2 gallon mason jar and filled it with new Hard Apple cider. Put a 500 ml and 1 litre jar next to it for comparison.
Attachments
rsz_20160310_174648.jpg
A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hard Cider/ Monster Mason Jar

Post by Rastus »

are these new manufacture that are available somewhere?
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
SilverBullet
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SilverBullet »

Walmart had them on the shelf. All metal lid too, no rubber on the inside. Doesn't seal the best though.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

SilverBullet wrote:Walmart had them on the shelf. All metal lid too, no rubber on the inside. Doesn't seal the best though.
how about the seals for inside the spigot or the spigot to glass seals?
be water my friend
SilverBullet
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SilverBullet »

The spigot and gaskets to the glass are all plastic. My hard cider is only 6.5% abv so I don't mind using it.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

the ones we have here have rubber seal and a plastic spigot painted to look like metal.
They are grand for what SB is using them for, hard cider, wouldn't be suitable for spirits though.

Shame really as I like the look of them and it would be handy to help yourself to some from teh spigot instead of tipping a whole gallon jug and make a mess when you need a sample.

Posting with SB
Don't be a dick
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

once i realized the spigot seems like what they would use for making kambucha add tea on the top and let it age then draw off the bottom and repeat again and again
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
SilverBullet
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SilverBullet »

Rastus wrote:once i realized the spigot seems like what they would use for making kambucha add tea on the top and let it age then draw off the bottom and repeat again and again
I had to look Kombucha up, it looks very interesting. Going to put that on my bucket list.

Thanks Rastus
piratekev
Novice

Post by piratekev »

I have been making this for years and the soh likes it same as I. It does many good things that work in our bodies. If close, I can send a starter kit for s/h.
BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

Post by BTR Kentucky »

piratekev wrote:I have been making this for years and the soh likes it same as I. It does many good things that work in our bodies. If close, I can send a starter kit for s/h.
I used to make Kombucha all the time. I love fermenting different things. I do not ferment Kombucha anymore but still ferment Kefir, fermented milk. Its full of probiotics, fights cancer, just super good for your bodies. I try to give it to the my kids too. If you ever want to try it out when my grains grow i can send them to you. Did not mean to hijack your thread, just dont see many folks making Kombucha and all that. I used to ferment peppers, veggies etc..
"He is not a fool to give the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot loose"
piratekev
Novice

Post by piratekev »

I have never tried kefir but have heard many great things about it. I will look into it . Anything that can help this old body working correctly I am in. The good Lord has his hands full so I do what I can to make this body cycle at least once per day. High fiber helps. As long as I flush out my system I will survive.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Swedish Pride wrote:the ones we have here have rubber seal and a plastic spigot painted to look like metal.
They are grand for what SB is using them for, hard cider, wouldn't be suitable for spirits though.

Shame really as I like the look of them and it would be handy to help yourself to some from teh spigot instead of tipping a whole gallon jug and make a mess when you need a sample.

Posting with SB
you can find cheap-ish stainless steel taps from china. was tempted to order a few.

i was advised not to let the kambucha be in contact if you plan to ferment for a while. guys at the LHBS ended up with a deformed plastic bucket.