Brandy makers, do you drink your fruit wine

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Brandy makers, do you drink your fruit wine

Post by Chauncey »

Mine rivals any dry white or hard cider out there. I can never help but strain, clear, and drink a few qts. If it ever came out under par I think I'd just toss it. Rarely do i find that any wash good for distillin is good for drinking except with my fruit wine...
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Brandy makers, do you drink your fruit wine

Post by der wo »

No, I don't.
I always try, that my mashes ferment as dry as possible. A FG 1.000 or lower is absolutely undrinkable. Hm. perhaps, if I would sweeten it with sugar? But all the clearing and perhaps filtering... I always distill unstrained. And all the new things I would have to learn, adding sulfur and a stable acid...
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've just disgorged last years sparkling grape wine stolen from the brandy ferment. I don't drink it myself, but Her Indoors likes it.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

my musts are generally a very dry wine , I have had some very late picked red wine grapes that were so high in sugar that they wouldn't ferment out and made for a very palatable dinner wine , in fact the brother in law ran it for me as I was back in south oz and he kept back a gallon to fortify with some of the spirit, meh it was ok
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

With apple I save some of the cider to drink but I like my wine as dessert wine so I do things differently for that. Sometimes I make dry wine for other people but I add sugar to bring it up to 12% so it doesn't get distilled.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I happen to like my cider extremely dry I guess, but I normally take my drinking portion out while it's still a little sweet.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
m314
Novice

Post by m314 »

I've only made apple brandy so far. My first batch of brandy was my first attempt at cider. It wasn't great as cider, but the brandy came out nice.

These days I'm making new batches of cider every once in a while. Some reserved for cider, some for brandy. I always drink at least some of the batch before distilling.
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

I use Berri tradition dry red to distill my brandy

worth the effort

$11 per 5 litre cask on special
The Friendly Spirit
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Rod wrote:I use Berri tradition dry red to distill my brandy
worth the effort
$11 per 5 litre cask on special
Ha cousins husband was the distiller at Tarac (Berri estate's distillery) :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin