Got some Poitin

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Got some Poitin

Post by Swedish Pride »

A lad in work came up to me last week saying he got his hands on some good Poitin from back west.
Most of the Poitin have it's roots on the west coast so I was very excited as he said he'd bring me in a bit. :thumbup:

This morning I received a plastic water bottle with some bright red liquid in :esurprised: :thumbdown:
I did the compulsory sniff in front of my coworker and said, "yeah, smells lovely, what did you add to it?"
Nothing he said, that's the way he got it :eh:
Ok, I said , most of the stuff that comes out of a still would be clear, but cool, cheers, can't wait to give it a go....

He must have been a bit taken aback by my response as he got back to his mate and asked what was added to it.
His mate said nothing was added, it's plum Poitin...

I said ok cool, sounds brilliant. Did not want to say anymore as I think I may have said to much already.

I'll bring it home and see if it will light go get some kind of indication of ABV%
Will have the tiniest sip to try it, rest will flow down the drain.

A bit of a bummer as I was really looking forward to taste some traditional Poitin, I've not had any for 10 years or so.
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Got some Poitin

Post by Swedish Pride »

had a litle nip before i poured the rest down the drain.
It was very smooth but sickly sweet, might have been plumb but that does not explain the color.
It was also very weak, deffo mixed with something, would not even light :/

All in all quite the let down from the standards I have for Poitin
Don't be a dick
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Poitin made from plums? It's like making Bourbon with plums instead of corn.
Obviously your friend doesn't know much about this bottle. Perhaps it's plum brandy with plum sirup?

We have many small stores here selling spirits mixed with fruit extract, so the fruit is identifiable easier and the spirit sweeter. The concept of those stores is low quality spirits (often masked with extracts and sugar) and handcrafted traditional local image (they fill hand lettered bottles from glass carboys...). And of course poor payed shop assistants with absolute no knowledge about spirits. For fun I once asked for advice there, asked from what the nice color is. She answered, this is a brandy aged in barrels. Obviously it was a neutral with added aroma, fruit extract and sugar (I could translate the advertising on the carboy into real facts).
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

yep he was fairly clueless alright.

I think the base likker was probably of good quality as it was smooth as anything, but I don't really drink mixers so not sure if it could have been hidden by the plum syrup or whatever it was in it.

Well Poitin can be made of anything really, not set recipe for it as it's an illegal likker.
Same as Moonshine, nothing dictates what it's made from.

But I was expecting just a clear likker no matter what it was make from, I suppose part of the issue was my expectations.
Don't be a dick
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Plumb flavoured poteen is delicious. The hint is in flavoured. I doubt that's what you got and it certainly is not distilled from plums :wink:
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I've made it many times with this recipe http://homedistiller.org/grain/wash-grain2/poitin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Thats very interesting. I've some poteen recipies. I allegedly drink two of them on occasion although I haven't made them so ya will just have to wait till someone else that's definitely not me does and I'll post them then. :D

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

the thing about Poitin is it can be made of just about anything, no set rules as it's a illegit spirit, same as moonshine.
Had some good, had some bad.
But I call BS on all the folklore about Poitin, eg if you drink water the next day you get drunk again....
Don't be a dick
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I'm a little confussed by why the words poteen and poitin :crazy:

Is it the same thing or do you crazy Irish have differnt dialects .

Jimy sent me a DVD about poteen but it had poitin texta'd ......(thats Aussie for felt tip pen .....or perminant market ) on it .
Thought it was a Typo but seeing it again in this thread . :roll:

BTW:Swedish
....don't blame you for being suss on it ... Hard call... Smooth .. Well thats a good start ... Colour could be as benign as food colouring . You just don't know . Served in a pastic bottle doesn' t sell it for me either .

Now if you had found it in a barrel ..... :ebiggrin:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Poitín (Irish pronunciation: [ˈpˠotʲiːn]), anglicized as potcheen or poteen from Wiki
So i'm more Irish than Jim :)

Yeah wasn't going to trust it in a packaging like that, and even if it came in a bottle I'd have chucked it, was not to my liking
Don't be a dick
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

There are maybe 5 now (because the one taught in Dublin has changed a lot over recent years) but definitely 4 differing dialects of the Irish language. Poteen or poitin was traditionaly mostly produced in strong gaelteacht (that's irish speaking) areas, therein lies the difference. Both are correct.