Maker's Mark-did I get a bad batch?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

azwhiskey
Novice

Maker's Mark-did I get a bad batch?

Post by azwhiskey »

I bought a 1.75 liter of Maker's Mark, which I've never tasted before. It tastes kinda headsy to me, I really don't like it. Jim Beam is half the price and tasted better, Did I get a bad batch? I bought it at Costco, and I think I'm going to return it. They have a really good return policy.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Maker's Mark-did I get a bad batch?

Post by Swedish Pride »

I had some in the pub and was not keen on it, can't remember if headsy.

Made my own, like it better even after 4 months
Don't be a dick
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I had a bottle was ok.. but was long time ago.. before getting into things here.

B
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Almost all of the moderate priced store bought whiskey tastes "heady" me; didn't notice it until I started home distilling and more importantly, learned to make good cuts. I just did a run of all grain "bourbon" using the Makers Mark grain bill 0f 70% cracked corn, 16% malted white wheat and 14% malted barley. I did my usual several stripping runs, then one low and slow spirit run. I held back a qt out of the middle run and have been sipping on it. It is absolutely the best White Dog I have ever tasted. The rest went into a 5 gal charred keg and I can't wait to taste it out of the keg.

BG
azwhiskey
Novice

Post by azwhiskey »

I tried some again, maybe its not heads I'm tasting but a sharper bite of something? I'll drink some more, but will probably save most of it for guests that like the stuff.
Rifleman
Novice

Post by Rifleman »

I had accumulated several bottles of bourbon which I just could not enjoy. One was a 12 YO Weller which I used to like. I figured I'd mix them all together with some Wild Turkey and cook with it. Dang, now it's some good stuff and I will sip it! You never know if you don't try!
"A lady came up to me one day and said 'Sir! You are drunk', to which I replied 'I am drunk today madam, and tomorrow I shall be sober but you will still be ugly." ~ Winston S. Churchill
trebor66n2
Novice

Post by trebor66n2 »

Send it to me . Makers is my favorite commercial bourbon
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Gotta blow the dust off this thread to read it.

Man I used to love Makers Mark (and a few others), then I started making my own stuff, now they are just "okay"
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I dont care much for makers. Id rather evan williams green for a fraction of the price. Blantons and basil haydens are pretty good. Angels envy is awesome, and pappy is the bees tits. Thats pretty much my low end to high end bourbon preference.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Desvio wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:35 pm
Man I used to love Makers Mark (and a few others), then I started making my own stuff, now they are just "okay"
One of the pitfalls of home distilling, for sure. While the big commercial guys are beholden to make the same predictable product, we hobbyists get to fiddle with our recipes and processes to make and enjoy a (barrel strength) spirit because we can.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

azwhiskey wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:42 pm It tastes kinda headsy to me, I really don't like it.
For me, it's reach in light "almost fruity" esters... may I suppose you don't like any Cognac, too?
My first mind on MM was: wow, it's just like some brandy!.. Yepp, it has not much of the heavy bourbons. Wheat + way of distillation?

azwhiskey wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:42 pm Jim Beam is half the price and tasted better, Did I get a bad batch?
Indeed? Imo, it's fusel-diesel-hillbilly-hoochy. Suum Cuique / Jedem das Seine / For Each His Own... :roll:

har druckit för mycket
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:40 pm
Imo, it's fusel-diesel-hillbilly-hoochy... :roll:
LOL! For a second there I thought you were describing Jack Daniels...
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

M&M with the wax drueling down the neck or a fancy bottle in a purple pouch are just puffing their wares .You can make better
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:41 pm
VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:40 pm
Imo, it's fusel-diesel-hillbilly-hoochy... :roll:
LOL! For a second there I thought you were describing Jack Daniels...
You embarrassed me so much that I climbed and checked... nope: that was The Jim Beam :wink: tastes so differ?..
dieselduo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 pm with the wax drueling down the neck
Yupp, this one. And it's too refined & cleansed for me... maybe, it's all about the Russian market standard's requirements, though...

har druckit för mycket
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I've had a couple of purchased bottles that were overly headsy and gave them the microwave treatment to 160F to help drive some of the heads off. It helped.

If you like wheated Bourbons, I'd suggest giving Larceny a try. It's cheaper than MM, not as sweet, and is 92 proof. Wheat is the second most used grain in the recipe but I think it still uses some rye as well. For a cheaper commercial Bourbon, I thought it was a pretty decent pour.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Have just read about Larceny that is totally unavailable in the Soviet Union... :)

har druckit för mycket
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

mm used to be a go to of mine while slightly fruity similar to a cognac in mouthfeel(to me) after venturing into the craft im not a big fan of it any longer same as crown and jim beam
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....