champagne

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

rager
Distiller

champagne

Post by rager »

http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/loophole- ... gne-legal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

found this artical pretty interesting. ive skimmed though it, but ill be reading through it again.

reason im posting is because how we follow laws ( HDs or pros) to make "bourbon" , "vodka", "Rum", "Brandy" ect.

i thought that this was a pretty good artical i started reading and wanted to share, seen its almost new years

last paragraph sums it up for me

cheers
Ma Flodder
Novice

Re: champagne

Post by Ma Flodder »

Interesting reading indeed.

From a home distillers viewpoint it doesn't matter what you call your drink - make something from corn or potatoes and call it Champagne if you want to, you're only confusing your housemates and us on the forum :D

Ingredients and process, that's a different matter. If I make a single malt Scotch style whisky I try to stick to the traditional ingredients (only peated barley and water), process (pot distilling)... I might even be a bit more strict than necessary, for example by not using caramel. Only when something is nearly impossible or doesn't make sense will I deviate from the "rules" - for example by aging using sticks instead of barrels.