Scotch advice

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lamannamal
Novice

Scotch advice

Post by Lamannamal »

I was wondering if any experienced scotch drinkers could give me some advice on what scotches I should try based on what I've already tried and how I liked them. I've tried 6 so far and I'll list them in order from best to worst

So far the glenlivet 12 is my favorite

Next on the list is laphroig.
Then it's mcclellands Islay
Glenfiddich 12
These three are all drinkable and I would buy these again in the future

Dewars white label. Wasn't a big fan

And lastly the worst scotch that I have tried so far is highland park 12... I didn't like that at all

So based on this information what bottles of scotch would you recommend I try?? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!!
TxBrewing
Swill Maker

Re: Scotch advice

Post by TxBrewing »

https://us.thebalvenie.com/our-range/do ... d-12-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

My fav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Haha... I also don't like Highland Park very much.
I think, you should try a malt with much sherry. The Glenfarclas 15 for example.
And Macallan is a distillery you have to try once, the Macallan Amber is affordable and good.
Because you like Laphroaig, you should try the Ardbeg Ten. Same but total different :lol:
Lagavulin 16 is a medium-high peated whisky, which many people like.
Bowmore 12 is very good for the price. A bit too sweet, but IMO the Lagavulin for poor people :lol:
I personally like Talisker 10 and Bunnahabhain 12 very much.
I personally don't like Caol Ila, Highland Park, Cragganmore, Dalwhinnie and Glenmorangie.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yes, the Balvenie double wood is a good whisky for this price.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Lamannamal
Novice

Post by Lamannamal »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, these should keep me busy for a bit :)
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

One of my favorites was an Auchentoshan 21 year old Scotch finished in a sherry cask that my niece brought back when she visited Edinburgh several years ago.
I've had a few bottles of Royal Salute 21 year old Scotch and while they are smooth as a baby's butt they lacked strong character, still were very easy to drink.
Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old Scotch is one of my favorites and costs quite a lot less than those I mentioned above.
Dalmore Scotch is another I have enjoyed the 21 year old was quite good. I've had the 12 year old as well and while it wasn't as smooth it did have character.

I have fairly expensive taste, it's much better for my budget to make and age my own.
Since I have tried a lot of very good Scotch I do know what flavor I like and I can aim for it when I make my own Scotch.
(or as close as I can get to something I can call Scotch even if it isn't technically Scotch because I'm making it here instead of Scotland) :crazy:
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
TxBrewing
Swill Maker

Post by TxBrewing »

nerdybrewer wrote:One of my favorites was an Auchentoshan 21 year old Scotch finished in a sherry cask that my niece brought back when she visited Edinburgh several years ago.
I've had a few bottles of Royal Salute 21 year old Scotch and while they are smooth as a baby's butt they lacked strong character, still were very easy to drink.
Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old Scotch is one of my favorites and costs quite a lot less than those I mentioned above.
Dalmore Scotch is another I have enjoyed the 21 year old was quite good. I've had the 12 year old as well and while it wasn't as smooth it did have character.

I have fairly expensive taste, it's much better for my budget to make and age my own.
Since I have tried a lot of very good Scotch I do know what flavor I like and I can aim for it when I make my own Scotch.
(or as close as I can get to something I can call Scotch even if it isn't technically Scotch because I'm making it here instead of Scotland) :crazy:
I would be interested in your Scotch recipe

Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

Dalmore 12yo
my go to drink of choice.

Luceo Non Uro

Will
Luceo Non Uro
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

TxBrewing wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:One of my favorites was an Auchentoshan 21 year old Scotch finished in a sherry cask that my niece brought back when she visited Edinburgh several years ago.

I would be interested in your Scotch recipe

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=59826

Here's a thread about it at 11 months.
It's older now and I'm pleased with the amount of peated malt.
I believe writing things down when you do them would be a thing I could improve upon, the math doesn't work out the way I described it in that thread.
I believe I did two 30 gallon batches with 60 Lbs malted barley and then added the peated barley in the second batch.
Unfortunately my memory is crap and my documentation skills are also.
Since my fermentation limit was 30 gallons at that time it makes sense that's what I did but it may have been more or less grains.
I do know I sparged out and fermented on the beer except that I added the peated malt at the end and included it in the ferment.
I did heat the peated malt up to 145F and held it there for well over an hour and then added it to the ferment so I must have made a smaller batch the second time like 25 gallons so I could add the 5 gallons with peated malt into the ferment and not go over the 30 gallons.

I remember I filled the still too full on the first run and it puked. It was a stripping run anyway so I kept it and then after all was stripped for both 30 gallon batches I ran it again after diluting with backset so it was a 1.5 run. Tossed forshots and put hot heads in a jar for a future run and then everything down to very smoky tails went in the once used Balcone's barrel.
It stayed in that barrel for 7 months and then went into a Black Swan barrel.
I bottled it at about 14 months (or 15) and have slowly depleted that until now when there is just about 1/5 of a bottle left.
It is tasty and I intend to start another soon.

I've improved a lot of things both in the equipment arena and in my skills and I'm itching to get another Scotch aging.
I have a couple of 15 gallon once used Bourbon barrels sitting here waiting for something like that!
If that sounds cheeky, understand I've got a 100 gallon fermenter and a 145 gallon stainless strainer here just waiting for me to put some grain in a BOP and get cooking!
First I need to run some more Bourbon and another batch of rum so I'm thinking about March for Scotch.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

TxBrewing
Swill Maker

Post by TxBrewing »

Thanks

Will subscribe to that thread and keep it for future use.

TXB
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

nerdybrewer's scotch is my favorite scotch... :thumbup: :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

If you like Glenlivet 12 give Oban 14 year old a try . It is not extremely expensive. I find it on occasion at around the $50 dollar range.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bigbob wrote:nerdybrewer's scotch is my favorite scotch... :thumbup: :wave:
You're too kind BigBob!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Try this link to Ralfystuff. He has tasted more Scotch than I knew existed . A good source for information on Scotch Whisky. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0k3O ... HdRLA8JWZg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Cleco
Novice

Post by Cleco »

I recently had a bottle of Belvenie 30 year single malt and by far, was the absolute best scotch I've ever had. Prior to that, I was partial to McCallum.
Alcohol is proof God wants us to be happy.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

+10 on Ralfy, Corene! He had been my Guru for years. The only side effect he collected a great deal of Scotch. Some interesting bottles that come to mind: Glendronach 15 Revival, Springbank 10, Longrow Red, Bunnahbain 12or18, I enjoy Highland Park 12, I like 15 better. I just like scotch!
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

just sayin wrote:+10 on Ralfy, Corene! He had been my Guru for years. The only side effect he collected a great deal of Scotch. Some interesting bottles that come to mind: Glendronach 15 Revival, Springbank 10, Longrow Red, Bunnahbain 12or18, I enjoy Highland Park 12, I like 15 better. I just like scotch!
What do you think of the Islay scotches. So far I have tried Laphroig triple wood, Ardbeg 10 Lagavulin 16 and Caol Ila 12. All nicely peated but I think I like the Caol Ila best so far. Good peaty flavor but fruity as well.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Corene, I like all the Islays I have tasted. I have yet to taste the new one, Kilchomen. Bruichladdich ranges from unpeated to Octomore, which is slap you in the face peaty, I have the 6.1 and if memory serves me, it's phenol is north of 160 ppm. I have not tasted it for a while. It is also bottled quite young < 5 years. Laphroig 10 cask strenght has become my go to Islay, Bunnahbain is easy going, usually not peaty and often overlooked. Ardbeg 10 is a good value. I have never had anything old than 12 year in Bowmore. Interest note: the Islay in McClelland line of single malts is a young Bowmore and is a good value.
I have acquired quite a number of Compass box releases and have yet to find a bad one. Vatted malts and blends. John Glaser, their master blender, has an amazing nose and palate and frequently even prints the formula for the blend on the box. Their Great King Street Artist blend a reasonable priced, light and fruity dessert type Scotch, a good introduction to someone who thinks they don't like Scotch, much like Asyla an even minder blend. Their Peat Monster is at the other end of the spectrum, bold and full of peat.
Independent bottling of single malts can yield jewels, but the occasional dud is a possibility. I have two 23 year old Isle of Juras, bottle by Royal Mile In Edinburgh, they were good values.
If you are looking at a new bottle, try pulling up Ralfy and see if he has reviewed it. A note of caution about watching Ralfy, since discovering Ralfy both my brother in laws and my collect have long since passed 100 unique Scotches each...Just Sayin', by the way I don't regret it!!!