Cocktails

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Cocktails

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Never had a cocktail as far as I can recall.

Going through the cocktails in the wiki, I wonder how many of them taste good and how many are just plain nasty and invented for marketing purposes more than flavor.

I'd try mixing up a few if I had anything other than whiskey in my cabinet! :lol:
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
freefall
Swill Maker

Re: Cocktails

Post by freefall »

Whisky and sprite on the rocks....not fancy...but good. My barrel stock was too high proof when I was tasting so just filled with half sprite. I tasted great.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Crushed ice always... Gin and tonic with Bombay sapphire east and a squeeze of lemon, another good one is a Moscow mule - 1.5 oz of vodka, a squeeze of lime and 1/2 pint of crabbies alcoholic ginger beer... The specific beer is very important. Enjoy
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

You've added more than 160 to the wiki. And you're going to sit there and drink every single one until you realize what you've done! :)

Aside from Jack and Coke I don't really drink cocktails. They have interesting flavors but I prefer whiskey. Rum and brandies are fun, but whiskey is my thing.

I used to love beer until I tried a non-chill filtered Scotch (Eldradour). Changed my life. Kinda what led me to this place.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

One that springs to mind is a Brandy Alexander , I only make them at Xmas time.
Ive modified mine to be UJSM Alexanders....they are pretty good if you care to try one.
The basic recipe can be found on the http://www...." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. replace the brandy with UJSM, they just ain't the same if you don't sprinkle the nutmeg on top.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

If I'm making them, I like the classics, Old Fashioned, Manhattan, Daquiri.
And by daquiri, I mean 2 oz rum, 1 oz fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz simple syrup, shaken with ice and then strained into chilled glass.
Down New Orleans way it's hard to beat a well made Sazerac.

It's odd what happens with some cocktails. Vodka came along and encroached on the martini. A martini is gin, not vodka.
Mr. Vodka should have made up its own name for his drink instead of going with "vodka martini". Although it was a great marketing play.

And then there's the daiquiri. Chi Chi's and TGI Fridays came along and turned it into a giant, fruit laden, frozen ice slurpee in a grog glass.
I've been to a couple restaurants recently, fancy places too, and asked for a daiquiri and been told "we don't make them". Then I ask for a caipirina and they say no problem.
I like cachaca, so that's fine, but if they just use rum instead of cachaca, viola, a daquiri. A carnival ice machine is not required for classic cocktails.
At least the cachaca folks call their version a "caipirina" not a cachaca daiquiri.

If I'm at a fancy "mixologist" bar, and the bartenders are crafty, I usually just suggest gin or scotch as a base spirit and let them go at it. They can actually get pretty creative with the smokier scotches.

My whiskey is simple, open bottle, pour in glass, drink.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Cocktails - drinks concocted to cover up bad booze.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

try
2 oz rye or bourbon
a few dashes of charred cedar bitters (say 4 drops)
1/2 oz of simple syrup (i prefer brown sugar)
over ice

or
2 oz rye
2 drops lavender bitters
1 oz rhubarb simple syrup
over ice
stretch with soda water if you like

i been havin' a lot of fun with bitters, there are sooo many flavours.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I’m partial to the tropical drinks, mai tais, pina coladas, anything with two or three alcohols and lots of fruit! :crazy:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Bigbob wrote:I’m partial to the tropical drinks, mai tais, pina coladas, anything with two or three alcohols and lots of fruit! :crazy:
A couple weeks ago I was in a bar featuring "Peat-a-coladas", pina coladas made with islay scotch instead of rum.
It was actually, surprisingly, quite good.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Michigan, ha! Bet the bartender got a chuckle when the server told him what you did there, sneaky!
Kinda reverse but I was at a restauraunt recently and my kiddo wanted a ginger beer, we really like the spicier ginger beers over boring gingler ales. It was a corporate joint so they really only serve basic soft drinks. Which my server very politely notified me of. So I ordered a moscow mule, and a virgin moscow mule for the kiddo. "Right away sir!" Geez, wouldnt you know he actually came back to check... "uh, sir, you do know that a virgin moscow mule is just ginger beer, right?". Yeah, you know, that stuff you told me you didnt have when I tried to order it? "Oh, ok, just checking, I'll be right back with it"
Sigh