Favorite Summer Cocktails?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Favorite Summer Cocktails?

Post by GCB3 »

Most years we do a family beach trip with all the kids and their families. One of my jobs is to come up with the signature cocktail for the week. It will typically be the first drink served each night. Previous examples are mojitos, pomegranate martinis, Moscow Mules, etc. I like to do recipes that I can blend in bulk if possible.

The trip is a week away and veryone wants to know what this year’s drink is. I’m drawing a great big blank! :esurprised:
Anybody have suggestions for a good, hot weather, crowd pleaser? I do have a big jug of OEG available for some type of gin cocktail.

Thanks for any suggestions.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Favorite Summer Cocktails?

Post by NZChris »

Try the OEG with a favorite, in season, fresh juice.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Rum on ice is the best summer cocktail!

That aside, for cocktails I've been exploring Italian amaros lately, mostly by drinking boulevardiers and variations. It's more of what I consider a real cocktail, might not hit the spot for the "jack n coke is a cocktail" crowd.
Super easy to premix.
Boulevardier
1 oz (1 part) Campari,
1 oz (1 part) to 1.5 oz (1.5 parts) rye whisky or bourbon, (I've been liking Old Forester Rye a good bit, Bulleit used to get the cocktail plug, but turns out old man Bulleit, and the whole team @ Diego who took over are homophobic assholes, so fuck 'em. Turns out I like Old Forester better anyway, )
1 oz (1 part) Sweet red vermouth
Orange twist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulevardier_(cocktail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow)

My latest favorite has been subbing out the Campari for other Italian amaros. Highly recommend Amaro Averna in the boulevardier. It should be a thing, with a name, and probably would be if campari wasn't so red and pretty. I think the black Averna still makes a pretty drink though. 100%, this is what I would make to please a cocktail crowd right now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaro_Averna" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Zapatardier
1 oz (1 part) Amaro Averna,
1.5 oz (1.5 parts) Old Forester Rye
1 oz (1 part) Sweet red vermouth
Orange twist

I tried the boulevardier with Averna but switched the rye to scotch. It didn't quite work, I dunno about scotch and vermouth man... Turns out something like a Speyburn 10 and Averna, 1:1-ish with a twist is really pretty good, no vermouth needed. You know, for those rare occasions that putting ANYTHING into scotch seems necessary.

Or, if gin seems more summery than whiskey, the Negroni is in the same vein, and again, super simple to premix.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroni" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

The traditional cuban daiquiri - not to be confused with the myriad of frozen wildly flavored concoction - is always a great choice, and you can make them frozen if you want. simple and refreshing, especially with some real good fresh limes, oh yeah.

White rum, Simple syrup, and lime juice.

another would be the dark and stormy, which is dark rum, ginger beer, and lime. once again simple and refreshing, and rum just has a summer feel IMO because it makes me think Caribbean tropical weather
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

oh, and this is one you may have to tinker with, but a good summertime brew for waking up is frozen irish coffee. monaghans and their related establishments in new orleans(junction, erin rose, 13, mollys on the market) all have them and with an added shot of Tullamore DEW or jameson theyre a real game changer. the recipe i figured for their delicious blend used coffee flavored ice cream... let me see if i can find it in my notes. whiskey, baileys, and a little actual coffee were involved but its been quite a while so i cant recall off the top of my head. which is surprising as im a bartender by trade and i got about a million cocktail recipes on call in my brain 24/7 :)

*starts thinking up a summertime drink special for my shift this evening*
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

For summer it's gotta be a Gin and Tonic with a citrus wedge.
Having the OEG is the perfect base.

How long do you have to plan? I have an idea to take it to the next level.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks folks.
I’m down to about a week and a half and need to get my recipe in order. I have tp agree Expat, it’s hard to beat a G&T. My OEG was done with the berries and seeds in the boiler and the peels in the column. It’s REALLY FLAVORFUL. That with some Fever Tree tonic will punch you in the kisser!!!! I love the strong flavor.

AMELIH, I have never tried an Irish ice cream drink. Irish is my go to drink! A local bar serves what they call a “Velvet Hammer”. It’s one large scoop of Bryers Vanilla Bean ice cream, a shot each of Kaluha and vodka. It’s REALLY good if you like ice cream and Coffee. I may have to give it a go with Jameson Black Barrel.We like those for an after dinner dessert replacement.
I’ve made a rum punch with dark rum, OJ, Fresca (gives lime, fiz, and no added sugar) and top with Pom Wonderful for color. Need to refine the proportions on that one.
I may need to hold on the Rye and Campari drinks. My girls like the more Neutral/fruity drinks.

The Cuban daiquiri sounds a lot like the Hotel National signature drink. That’s a great suggestion.

If anyone has any other favorites, please send them on.
Thanks
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Gin Gimlet:
To serve multiples here is what I do.
Take an empty fifth bottle
Add six ounces of Roses Lime Juice
Fill rest of the bottle with Gin
(This is the same ratio as making a single glass but for multiple pours)

I store these in either the freezer or the refrigerator.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

What is a good one with a brandy base? Mixed drink or cocktail.
I have some brandy that is not too bad that I want to find a use for and we have a family gathering in a few months.
The ladies are suggesting we take turns making a cocktail each night so I could do a brandy one.
And I could make the brandy available to others...
Thanks
Geoff
The Baker
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Not gonna help you much GCB3, but I have red currant bushes with no real affection for the fruit. I usually dont even harvest them. This year I picked and juiced them. Substitute the currant juice for cranberry makes a great cosmopolitan. I think substituting OEG for vodka in a traditional Cosmo would work. Woman love a cosmopolitan since Sex in the City aired.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Yeah, my girls love anything that includes Prosecco. An Aperol Spritz seems to be the “trend” this summer. I’m not big on trendy things! :?
I may have to do a lot of “science” to figure this out!!! :mrgreen: Some variation of a Gimlet with either blackberries or kiwi may be in the “lab” tonight. Man, this is going to be work! :clap:
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Well, I'll be the odd man out and say my favorite summer "cocktail" is homebrewed beer. Especially a nice red ale.
But if I were pushed (and the fridge was empty of beer), an Odin's Gin & tonic would be my summer choice. Damn, that's a good drink.
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

I was at a bar recently and they had a great Knob Creek Old Fashioned. Dont have a recipe to share, but it made me want to learn how to make one as good as that.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

A friend reminded me today of one of the most refreshing, hot weather, drinks I’ve ever tasted. Has anyone ever tasted a “Transfusion”? They are served at some golf clubs as an after round cocktail.

It’s equal parts vodka, Welches purple grape juice, and ginger ale. Its served over ice in a tall glass with a lime slice. It’s a fabulous hot weather drink.

Unless I come up with a better alternative, I think we have our signature drink. (The jug of OEG is still going to tag along! :thumbup: )

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope the Transfusion works for some of y’all.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

You ever find a way to tame that citrus in your gin, GCB3 ?
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Oh yeah! Fever Tree tonic at a buck fifty a 9 Oz bottle!!!! :shock:
This is another topic, but, I did a “big ass” (as we say in the southern US) run of OEG with the citrus in the vapor path at the recipe amount and the rest in the boiler. I absolutely loved the flavor forward taste of the juniper and coriander but the citrus was bitter even after the 5 week rest. And I did scrape all the pith off the peels. It’s great if you want a Gin to speak to you but too bitter for me to drink on the rocks.

I’d like to stay with this protocol, I just need to get the citrus quantity figured out. :thumbup:

Mix yourself a Transfusion tomorrow afternoon, my friend!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You might tame the bitter citrus by serving the OEG in a tall glass with ice and orange juice.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks Chris. I’m all about “science”! :lol:
I’ll report back!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

As promised, here is my suggestion for an enhanced gin cocktail.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75181

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by durty_dunderpants »

bit late to the party here, but i'ma shout out for the cuban daiquiri and recommend blending some fresh grapefruit juice with the lime. i usually make with some kinda brown sugar too.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

GCB3 wrote:Thanks Chris. I’m all about “science”! :lol:
I’ll report back!
In that case, Expat's blue gin suggestion is up there. My favorite spectacle gin cocktail with Butterfly Pea Flower is to make ice cubes with the tea, then serve a clear G&T with a slice of lemon and Butterfly Pea Flower ice cubes or balls. The blue color from the ice turns a sexy pink as it dissolves and drifts down through the glass. Don't tell the guests what will happen, let them discover it themselves.

Viola petals are a nice added decoration. I use any non toxic flower.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. There are so many good ideas, I think I’m going to be able to serve a number of different “Signature” drinks.
ExPat’s Blue Gin has really piqued my interest. The flowers are on order.

NZChris: ExPat calls for 1 gm of flowers per liter to color the Gin. If I also do the ice cube G&T one night, I’ll need about 40 cubes for a round. That’s maybe a 1/2 gal of tea. What concentration of flowers should I use for the tea?

Thanks folks!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

We made honey bear mint juleps a couple weeks ago with fresh mint from the garden.

Muddle plenty of mint and raw sugar in a frozen glass or silver cup, fill with cracked ice and add barrel strength HBB to about 2/3-to-3/4, let sit for a minute to melt a little ice then top em up with packed ice and a dash of hoe-made bitters. Garnish with a couple sprigs fresh mint and a short skinny straw.

Some recipes call for simple syrup but I prefer granulated raw sugar lightly powderized with mortar and pestle which muddles nicely and takes on the mint oils.

Don't start drinking these on a hot day at noon but if you do make sure to have extra mint because you'll want several.

Good luck!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Even though our whole country is captivated by the Presidential debates tonight, I’m all about “Science”! :lol:
So, the lab experiments tonight are for the development of the best Transfusion recipe for our tastes.

I remember my first Transfusion as being really light, effervescent, and refreshing. If you google the recipe, most say mix it in thirds. My wife and I did that and to our taste it’s way too much grape. So we did a second experiment with 1/4 each vodka and grape and 1/2 ginerale. It was better but not light enough.

So, round three was the charm. For us, a good transfusion is:
1 1/2 oz Vodka
1 1/2 oz Welches Grape Juice
4 1/2 oz Gingerale
Serve in a tall glass of ice with a lime slice.

Hopefully this is useful to some, but, actually, at this point in the experiments, I am not really sure what this post is even about!!!! :shifty:
wilspat
Novice

Post by wilspat »

Rum with Ice is the best cocktail
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Real hard apple cider as cold as I can get it. Real as in not that crap they dare to call hard apple cider sold in stores.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I'm really a rum fan, so my standby is Cuba Libra or Dark and Stormy. Have yet to make a falernum, but when I do I'll be adding that to my Dark and Stormy. And you have to add bitters... I make a house bitters (or the Fee Brother's barrel aged house bitters) that are quite good in them.

But more recently I've replicated a Cucumber Jalapeno Margarita with Chimayo Salt pepper on the rim. Fantastic! Here's what I did:

0.5 C fresh lime juice
0.5 C taquila blanco
0.25 C orange liqueur (many will do, don't have to splurge)
0.25 C simple syrup
0.25 peeled and diced cucumber (I leave the seeds in)
1 fresh jalapeno seeded and diced

Macerate and let chill in the fridge for several hours

Mix 50/50 dried Chimayo pepper and salt, lime the rim and while still moist, dip the rim in the pepper/salt mixture.

This was one of the many good tings about my travels to New Mexico this Spring.
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

I was recently at the golf course, and the beer cart girls had a cooler of the house special. "Mom's Mix".
It was so damned smooth and refreshing, we switched off from beer.

It's green tea, lemon crystal light, and vodka.
Sorta like a spiked Arnold Palmer, but light and with no after taste, and just dry enough to cut the spit from your tongue but slightly sweet.

It's been my go to in these dog days of summer ever since.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Never heard of 'lemon crystal light'.

What sort of drink is that? Thanks.

Geoff
The Baker
Captain Pappy
Novice

Post by Captain Pappy »

Crystal Light is a powdered lemonade like product. you mix it with water to make lemonade.