Legal in Missouri

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Legal in Missouri

Postby SoMo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:15 am

Well I guys I bit the bullet and called my state attorney generals office in Jefferson City Mo. I asked if home distillation of spirits was legal or illegal and they would not say yes or no. They referred me to the statutes as written as the law. Telling me however I interpret the states ruling that it is comparable to the legalization of marijuana in some states. Regardless of the states ruling, it is illegal on the federal level. That implies to me as the statutes are written I can (legally) produce spirits up to and including 200gal for my wife and I for our own consumption. It is illegal to transport, barter, or dispense said spirit any where but my home. Am I going to stick my name and neck on the line? Not yet ain't happening, but I will continue to produce a fine spirit and keep it under wraps. My 0.02$ Melloman. Let me know what you think.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
SoMo
Master Distiller

Re: Legal in Missouri

Postby DAD300 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Don't tell...don't sell...enjoy!
DAD300
Master Distiller

Postby jholmz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:56 pm

just so you know that call you just made most official offices such as your states attourney have caller id and record all incoming calls. you might want to think about it
safety and related materials viewforum.php?f=33
novice guide to cuts viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11640
samohans easy pot still download/file.php?id=12153
jholmz
Distiller

Postby Bing-Bot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Lucky SOB
Bing-Bot
Master Distiller

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:25 pm

halfbaked wrote:Lucky SOB

Yep, law's a tight assed bunch here in VA.

Just sayin',
S-C
S-Cack,
Forum Contrarian

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
S-Cackalacky
Master Distiller

Postby Bing-Bot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:37 pm

+1 tight ass. When I put the still parts in the back of the truck and pass the police my butt takes a bite out of the seat every time.
Bing-Bot
Master Distiller

Postby White_Lightning_Rod » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 pm

another +1 to the tight asses in VA.

Hell from what I read you can't even own a distilling apparatus in this state. Good thing I just read about it on HD and don't actually distill. :moresarcasm:
HD forum, the best damn group of criminals and outlaws you'll ever meet.
White_Lightning_Rod
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby MitchyBourbon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 pm

That's it, I'm moving. It's too dern cold here anyway. Been -25 F here the last few days, my dawg won't even take a dump when its this cold.
I'm goin the distance...
MitchyBourbon
Master Distiller

Postby SoMo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:47 am

Yes,they gather info I used the pay phone on the corner 800 number a little smarter than that. But seriously it's one of those catch 22s in life that as neat as it is you obviously have to keep things under every radar out there and follow the rules we live by. That's my intention to be good enjoy life and some good spirits, liquid and human. Got a 80 year old oak tree to steal the heart wood from it should age some good stuff. Visit our Ozarks you might not want to leave. Melloman
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
SoMo
Master Distiller

Postby raptor402 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 am

Yes it's legal here...

you cant make over 200 gallons and you def cant sell it.

Wish we had better water though.

You turn on a faucet and get hit with rocks. and a piece of lead......
raptor402
Novice

Postby cob » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:50 pm

SoMo wrote: Regardless of the states ruling, it is illegal on the federal level. That implies to me as the statutes are written I can (legally) produce spirits up to and including 200gal for my wife and I for our own consumption. It is illegal to transport, barter, or dispense said spirit any where but my home.

raptor402 wrote:Yes it's legal here...

you cant make over 200 gallons and you def cant sell it.

last time I checked Missouri was still part of the united states of America

so if you are caught instead of a skanky Missouri jail, you get a skanky federal jail.
be water my friend
cob
Master Distiller

Postby zapata » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Only depends who catches you. Local LEO ain't likely to press federal only charges.
Heck, other than drug busts, my local Sheriff doesnt like enforcing anything other than local stuff. Even took radar guns out of the cruisers and stopped pulling people for expired tags and the like. Novel idea but he seems to think the sheriff's office is for coming when YOU call THEM, not the other way around!
zapata
Swill Maker

Postby nerdybrewer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 pm

zapata wrote:Only depends who catches you. Local LEO ain't likely to press federal only charges.
Heck, other than drug busts, my local Sheriff doesnt like enforcing anything other than local stuff. Even took radar guns out of the cruisers and stopped pulling people for expired tags and the like. Novel idea but he seems to think the sheriff's office is for coming when YOU call THEM, not the other way around!

There's a lot of Sheriff officers out there who have the right attitude,they are there to serve.
I was standing next to one in the checkout line today at the local grocer.
Nice guy, kidding around and having a good time.
Sure he has a glock strapped to his side and a badge on his chest, that doesn't make him non-human.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby KevInMo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:37 am

cob wrote:
SoMo wrote: Regardless of the states ruling, it is illegal on the federal level. That implies to me as the statutes are written I can (legally) produce spirits up to and including 200gal for my wife and I for our own consumption. It is illegal to transport, barter, or dispense said spirit any where but my home.

raptor402 wrote:Yes it's legal here.you cant make over 200 gallons and you def cant sell it.

last time I checked Missouri was still part of the united states of America

so if you are caught instead of a skanky Missouri jail, you get a skanky federal jail.

I started a thread about Missouri law several years ago because I looked up the statutes too. It's true federal law trumps state but when is the last time you have seen that enforced? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to push my luck but a decent attorney will have you walking. That said, I'm of the don't tell don't sell crowd.
KevInMo
Novice

Postby Reverend Newer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:26 pm

I admit not knowing the MO state statutes when I first started, my whole rig was painted camouflage and every precaution was taken to keep it hidden.

Then, I read about the 100 gallons per household or 200 per couple statute... it made me feel a little bit better. Still no reason to advertise, but I'm not as stressed now. Sam don't even blink an eye at 100 lbs of sugar and 100 lbs popcorn being purchased at his store anyway.
Reverend Newer
Novice

Return to Legalization of Home Distilling