My neighbour is a copper

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My neighbour is a copper

Post by Swedish Pride »

throw a few flagstones about as well when you put up the fence and cal it landscaping

not sure if coppers knwo what a still in operation smells like, what do you think would give it away?

Make some terrible beer and gift to them as a moving in present, that way they know you make beer but will not come knocking looking for more
Don't be a dick
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

I know this is an old thread that has resurfaced, First off distilling is illegal and should be kept quiet, My neighbor attached to me works for narcotics and she wouldn't give a rats ass what I do, but I still keep it under my hat. I would be damned if I would offer her any shine (bribe) to win her over.

RNG4 If there is a spiteful person in the divorce and they bring up distilling, they risk being an accomplice to the fact.

Most the cops I know think distilling is legal if made for personal consumption and not sold, and most don't give a crap, but it only takes one to open his mouth to the wrong person. I just had this conversation with a friend of mine that is a detective. Yes he knows that I dabble, he was one of my tasters for my last run. I had to tell him it was illegal and not to discuss it with anyone.

Just be discreet and realize there are no bragging rights for illegal shine.
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Damn, well, that just sucks! Maybe once you get to know 'em maybe, just maybe, they do it too! My neighbors just installed an LED security light that they keep on all night so I am moving my cooling setup inside now too!
TheBounder
Novice

Post by TheBounder »

Why would a plod care? They don't enforce revenue law. Probably aren't event aware of it (ALDA s25 and CEMA s170). In any event, who knows what you are up to in your house/garage or whatever? Unless you are ineffably stupid and wheel it out and start distilling and even then you'll probably be ignored (it's not unlawful to make or own a still).
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Well now that depends on where you are as to what you can own. In Australia most of the laws pertaining to distillation are Federal old and vague. One thing fairly clear is you can not for any purpose own use or have in your possession and still with a capacity greater than 5 litres with out a license expressly to do so. Generally its not policed unless they think you are selling but it would only take one ternatious copper to cause ya all sorts of heart ache
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
TheBounder
Novice

Post by TheBounder »

thecroweater wrote:Well now that depends on where you are as to what you can own. In Australia most of the laws pertaining to distillation are Federal old and vague. One thing fairly clear is you can not for any purpose own use or have in your possession and still with a capacity greater than 5 litres with out a license expressly to do so. Generally its not policed unless they think you are selling but it would only take one ternatious copper to cause ya all sorts of heart ache
He's talking Blighty, not the Antipodes, cobber. Hell, in Blighty, you could build a still to the moon and in and of itself, it's perfectly lawful.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

the croweater said,'In Australia ... you can not for any purpose own use or have in your possession a still with a capacity greater than 5 litres with out a license'.

Believe me there is nothing vague about that!

Geoff (in Australia)
The Baker