Questions about exactly what's illegal

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Squirrel
Novice

Questions about exactly what's illegal

Post by Squirrel »

I got one of those TTB letters the other day and I still don't have a full uderstanding of where exactly I could get into trouble. I have an 8 gal still I got from Mile Hi which from my understanding is legal to own in PA. I have maybe a gallon and a half of sweetfeed moonshine in the house. What if all the shine was mixed with blueberry juice or something. Would they still be able to determine it's shine in the bottle not a store bought alcohol. If the still isn't set up and being used but I have mash fermenting could I be arrested for conspiracy to commit shine or would they actually have to catch me distilling.

I have 2 adjoining parcels of land with seperate deeds one is vacant the other has my house and barn on it. If I put my still in a lawn mower shed on the vacant property with a fuel alcohol permit would they have any right to inspect my house and barn. Although I would prefer to do it in the barn so I don't have to build a shed.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Re: Questions about exactly what's illegal

Post by woodshed »

I'm thinking the only way to get a correct answer to these questions is to research the TTB site or call them direct.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

From my understanding, if you get a permit you are giving blanket permission to search any and all properties the permit holder owns, whether connecting or separate parcels... You are, essentially, hanging everything you own out there on the line...

So, essentially, if you owned a craft distillery in your name you could still be subject to a search of your personal dwelling... And if they were to find a hobby scale still and untaxed spirits there, you would be subject to punishment to the fullest extent of the law, including forfeiture of your permit and possibly any bond money in holding - plus whatever else they can ding you with...

The federal government can twist and turn the laws any way they want and can easily drain all of your savings through efforts to defend yourself... Don't try tricking them or they'll dig up dirt on you that you never thought existed... Time and the laws are on their side, not ours...

Remember, this is the USA where you are, in fact, guilty until proven innocent... Don't be fooled into thinking it works any other way because it doesn't...
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I would hide the shit out of absolutely anything that is related. Run on Sundays only, and never ever ever consent to a voluntary search. No permit, and don't allow anyone to get enough evidence for a warrant. Might not be a bad idea to join the home distillers association too. You are already on a list so you have nothing to loose.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
tom sawyer
Swill Maker

Post by tom sawyer »

Do you suppose their having your name from a purchase going to be enough for them to get a search warrant?

If your spirits were stored in a commercial liquor bottle, do you suppose they'd check them?
What He Said
Novice

Post by What He Said »

Squirrel
If you're scared you picked the wrong hobby. Keep your business quiet. Never consent never admit. Dispose of everything!
Your worst nightmare is an enthusastic law man that don't the law.
Squire
Novice

Post by Squire »

As Lyndon Johnson famously said, "All politics is local". I know of a judge in a dry county in our rural State who had a homebrewer/ hobby distiller brought before his Court and was lenient on the guy. That was on a Monday, the weekly paper came out on Thursday with a full write up and on Sunday morning it was talked about in every Church in town, the judge was denounced from every pulpit, and wound up losing his bid for reelection.

The Federal Prosecutors I've known are not concerned with such matters but they don't have to stand for election. State level judges, district attorneys, sheriffs, and mayors that run police departments do and they are very concerned about the mood of the voters. Evidence isn't required for a search warrant, probable cause will do, and stupid as the laws may be it isn't worth starting a fight that you will loose.