what are texas's laws concerning stilling.

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

what are texas's laws concerning stilling.

Post by jb-texshine »

Could anyone point me to a link concerning laws in Texas on possession of still , distilling and posession of shine...fed laws I found but not state laws.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: what are texas's laws concerning stilling.

Post by dieselduo »

Join the Hobby Distillers Association it's all on there and started in Keller,TX
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

dieselduo wrote:Join the Hobby Distillers Association it's all on there and started in Keller,TX
Already read that but after re reading it I guess what I meant to ask was : what are the PENALTIES for distilling in Texas if not selling.or posession of illicit alcohol. or a still?

Deo Vendice

ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I tried reading "the Law" the other day but could only find "regulations" from the TABC. From what I could gather (I am NO Lawyer) it looked like it could be a felony to be in possession of Still Parts, and Untaxed Liquor. Now that was my attempt to understand a bunch of spread out Legalese. I could be wrong (it has happened before, just ask my SOH)....
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I forgot to mention that "apparently" the law is not very well known, as my SIL is a police officer a few towns over and he got in a heated argument with me trying to convince me that having a still is legal as long as it is for personal use. Dont know what to make of that except it is probably not covered too deeply in any law enforcement training around these parts.
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

We in the same state RR?.. don't matter. I think I should keep researching. Maby call a criminal attorney and ask. Surely they would know if I call one in my county... its pretty common round here.

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

ranger_ric wrote:I forgot to mention that "apparently" the law is not very well known, as my SIL is a police officer a few towns over and he got in a heated argument with me trying to convince me that having a still is legal as long as it is for personal use. Dont know what to make of that except it is probably not covered too deeply in any law enforcement training around these parts.
:lol: buy him a still in his name delivered to his house from a distributer on a ttb watchlist...lol! Just kidding....unless......

Deo Vendice

ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

JB, When you find out from said Criminal attorney, please post the statute. However I will not be telling my SIL.....
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I'll call around tomorrow and see if I can get one to talk for free and post results.

Deo Vendice

Intimnasc
Novice

Post by Intimnasc »

ranger_ric wrote:I forgot to mention that "apparently" the law is not very well known, as my SIL is a police officer a few towns over and he got in a heated argument with me trying to convince me that having a still is legal as long as it is for personal use. Dont know what to make of that except it is probably not covered too deeply in any law enforcement training around these parts.
He is confusing beer and wine with distillation. Often times normal people don't understand the difference. It is illegal to own an unregistered still in Texas. I looked it all up some time ago and I believe it is a felony but could be wrong.

edit::: Read my post below I believe my first stance was wrong in that it is a misdemeanor and not a felony.
Last edited by Intimnasc on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
If a Frog had wings
Would he bump his A__
Intimnasc
Novice

Post by Intimnasc »

This is all I have been able to find so far but yeah you'd have to be a freaking scholar to understand a lot of whats out there. I do know there is a hard push from Brewhaus in Keller to legalize our hobby so make sure and join their site to see what you can do to help. Senator John Cornyn I believe is our target and he seems to be on board.

Sec. 14.01. AUTHORIZED ACTIVITIES. (a) The holder of a distiller's and rectifier's permit may:
(1) manufacture distilled spirits;
(2) rectify, purify, and refine distilled spirits and wines;
(3) mix wines, distilled spirits, or other liquors;
(4) bottle, label, and package the permit holder’s [his] finished products;
(5) sell the finished products in this state to holders of wholesaler's permits and to qualified persons outside the state; [and]
(6) import distilled spirits, to be used only for manufacturing or rectification purposes, from holders of nonresident seller's permits[.] and (7) dispense free distilled spirits for consumption on the permitted premises. © The holder of a distiller’s and rectifier’s permit may dispense distilled spirits for consumption on the permitted premises under Section 14.04.
(B) The privileges granted to a distiller and rectifier are confined strictly to distilled spirits and wines manufactured and rectified under his permit.
Sec. 14.02. FEE. The annual state fee for a distiller's and rectifier's permit is $1,500.

Penalties
CRIMINAL OFFENSE PROVISIONS
General Penalty
A person who violates a provision of this Code for which a specific penalty is not provided is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is punishable by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $1,000 or by confinement in the county jail for not more than one year or by both. The term specific penalty, as used in this section, means a penalty which might be imposed as a result of a criminal prosecution. [Section 1.05 AB Code]
If a Frog had wings
Would he bump his A__