Man arrested in Mississippi for atempting to sell a still

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mepete
Novice

Man arrested in Mississippi for atempting to sell a still

Post by mepete »

I know a woman that lives in Mississippi and her son is a beverage control officer for the State of Mississippi. A man was advertising a still for sale over the internet. Her son and others from the State of Mississippi responded to the add went to his house and arrested him. I believe he was using Craigslist, but I tried to appear to have a low level of interest so I did not ask many details. She did tell me her son told her it was very impressive and they may use it as an exhibit. They found the still, alcohol and some pot. Prior to this the man had never been arrested in his life.

Don't sell, or tell.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Man arrested in Mississippi for atempting to sell a stil

Post by Bushman »

Seems to me that he probably advertised it wrong on craigslist and that gave the authorities enough for a search warrant and when they found the illegal pot and booze they were able to arrest him. Just selling a still in most states is not illegal as some use it for making essential oils and other legal uses.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Bushman, I could be wrong but from reading the TTB's website about essential oils they will allow a 1 gallon still. However the still CANNOT be used for removing ethonal. At least that was my take on what their site said... (it might just be worth what you paid for it)

Just Sayin
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

There is a limit, that is why I made the comment about how he advertised it on craigslist.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Just guessin but the moral to the story may be that iffin you ever try to sell your still on craigslist (specially in Missississippi) make sure all your weed is smoked up, your likker is stashed at your friends, and the still smells like vinegar or gasoline....

Maybe dont sell your still on Craigslist???

Just Sayin
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
mepete
Novice

Post by mepete »

I am not certain but I believe in the States of Mississippi and Alabama owning a still or components of a still is illegal. The term Components is ambiguous and subject to interpretation and directly related to the level of ambition of the local officials. When my cousin was making moonshine he was politically active and supported the local sheriff and would give him a gallon of his best product. :ebiggrin: