I'm a hobby distiller and proud of it.

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

googe
retired

Post by googe »

Hey all, can we use this thread to just say your proud to be a hobby distiller?. For them in authority that view it can see power in numbers.

I'm a decent law abiding citizen and don't like being viewed as a criminal for a hobby I love.

Ps delete if inappropriate mods.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Bushman
Admin

Re: I'm a hobby distiller and proud of it.

Post by Bushman »

Totally agree, not only have I learned a lot from the forum but as a side note, even with my educational background I have learned a lot about research and I use it in different aspects of my life to find information needed.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Strength in numbers is spot on. Without the hobby aspect very few who have become legal (and pretty much every true craft distiller) would never had rolled the dice. Just to file for a permit you are asked to show at least a basic knowledge in the art. Of course this info is easily found online and can just be regurgitated when filing. The catch 22 of course is the requirement to know but it being illegal to have any practical experience.

I do not have a dog in this hunt but will say Stand up and be counted!
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

+1 guys, I'm here & proud to be! Thanks HD for being here for me.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Michigan Cornhusker standing up loud and proud!
I pay my parking tickets, I stop to help people on the highway, I tip well, and I have a perfect feedback score on eBay.
And I'm learning to make damn fine spirits, thank you all very much, sincerely.

Oh, and you do have a dog in this race, woodshed. Just like all the micro brewers who survived, then prospered, because folks started to learn what good beer was. Legalization will bring new eager palates to your products and those palates will be pleased. Legalization will allow craft to blossom, and the potential is unlimited.

Cheers, googe, excellent thread!
Last edited by MichiganCornhusker on Sat May 09, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I am proud of who I am.

Politics are an external force that I have no intention on arguing with. Want to label me a criminal? I'm perfectly OK with that. They do what they feel they got to do, and trust I'll be doing the same thing.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Heck, it was perfectly legal here (US) till they decided to fund the revolutionary war with tax on it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

bearriver wrote:I am proud of who I am.

Politics are an external force that I have no intention on arguing with. Want to label me a criminal? I'm perfectly OK with that. They do what they feel they got to do, and trust I'll be doing the same thing.
Right with you , Bro . The way to a politician's heart is through the ballot box . Just remind the SOB while he/she's out kissin babies and stealing their lollipops that they are too young to VOTE and you are not .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Kegg_jam wrote:I'm a hobby distiller and proud of it.

Heck, it was perfectly legal here (US) till they decided to fund the revolutionary war with tax on it.
Umm , I think that they were trying to pay for a war we had just won when they first started taxing whiskey :wave:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Truckinbutch wrote:Umm , I think that they were trying to pay for a war we had just won when they first started taxing whiskey :wave:
Yes, pay for it. Wrong choice of words. Either way, it's all about tax money.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

That is a good looking dog there KJ.
Back to the topic. Truth is you can be oppressed or push with your soul against it.
I would be pushin!
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I am Hobby Distiller!
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Damn straight I am proud of the fact I can wheel my own barrow, and damn sick of fascist laws that suggest i am incompetent and should pay another to wheel it for me. I am everything the fascist bureaucrats that seem to be advising our legislators and running all these think tanks around here despise. I was born in red dirt, raised in red dirt and god willing will lay on my back in it one day too. I got guns and believe a country boy should know how to use one safely and effectively, i was shown as kid how to make beer, grow veggies, butcher meat, hunt, fish, cut wood, farm and build. The most heavily punishable crime in this country now is to grow your own tobacco (how ridiculous) but maybe i know how to do that too, I'm proud to be a blue eyed country boy and proud of my Algonquin heritage too. I am damn proud of my kids and proud of their indigenous heritage and will do everything possible to help them be proud of who they are too. I am proud of my home town and where I'm from, my parents and my Christian upbringing. I am proud of my country and most of its laws and am proud of my contribution to this land and the community through the service club I was in for many years. I am proud of my work oversees building orphanages
So am I proud of being able to make my own whiskey and brandy? You can bet your arse I am, be damned if I'll be ashamed of breaking a law that is morally wrong. Want me to be ashamed of wheeling my own barrow good luck with that :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

What he ^^^ said.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

Yeah that about covers it
Bobdoe
Bootlegger

Post by Bobdoe »

Yes, I'm also proud to be a (new) hobby distiller. It frustrates me to no end that this hobby is illegal in most instances, and to become legal is both expensive and complicated. The agency with oversight of alcohol is, of course, the TTB. Pasted directly from their web site, their only mission is: "Collect the taxes on alcohol, tobacco, firearms and ammunition; protect the consumer by ensuring the integrity of alcohol products; and prevent unfair and unlawful market activity for alcohol and tobacco products."

It seems to me that reasonable and honest persons would conclude that the small scale production, for personal use, of EtOH falls well outside of this stated mission. If Uncle Sam is concerned that they are losing tax dollars, then just provide us with a permit that charges a fee, based on production volume (again, small scale) that will recover this tax. I'd gladly pay such a fee for a permit, because now, if I'm busted, the costs will be astronomical. Since this makes so much sense, it will never happen.

I wish I could afford to help fund the current efforts, all I can do is hope and give a two cents of opinion.

Cheers, all.

Bobdoe
The Bluegrass Biochemist - Converting malted corn mash using salivary amylase from the spit of Kentucky virgins
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

I am not a hobby distiller... yet. I'm still researching and reading. I intend to do it right and stay safe. Too many people already believe it's dangerous, I don't plan on giving them a reason.
NgrainD
Bootlegger

Post by NgrainD »

I NgrainD stand before you here today in an admission of guilt. For I do confess. I confess to doing endless hours of reading and research here on this forum. I confess to taking the graciously given and much appreciated advice of all my "fore father's" here on this site who have gone down this same path before me. I confess to pain stakingly making the decisions on selecting the best and safest materials and methods to accomplish my desired end result. I confess to being as responsible as I absolutely can in an effort to protect myself and anyone around me from any negative consequence of my behavior or hobby. For I care not, about avoiding tax upon my spirit, but only pushing myself, testing my ability to create something,with my own hands and intellect, that is truly unique, and indicative of my own taste and personality. I confess to coming to this forum seeking knowledge, and wisdom to refine my skill, and also in the pursuit of the fellowship of other like minded individuals here to better themselves and those in this community.

I confess...

I NgrainD am a hobby distiller.
And proud of it.
Experience is something you gain shortly after you need it.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

I'm damn proud to be a hobby distiller. I'm Scottish, Irish, English, German and Dutch. I come from a long line of distillers, consumers and a lot of times both. I am by no means a criminal, despite what any governing bodies may say or think. My taxes are paid (over paid, therefore interest free loan to government). I am safe and responsible with what I do.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Hear, hear.

This is the type of hobby that forces you to read, research, read some more, ask questions, figure things out, understand consequences, and read again. Every time I visit the site, I learn something new or come to another revelation. I've literally just scratched the surface. I've been at it for a year and a half and I'm still trying to get comfortable with a repeatable process.

I'm proud of what I've accomplished and I'm not ashamed one bit.
Those who stay...
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Well the truth be told, I'm obsessive compulsive. This hobby has been a killer for me. And while the kids and I have formed up, and are moving to a formal, legitimate profile, I simply cant give it up cause they are slowing every thing down to fit that 'legal' window. Which is OK, that what I want them to do...but...I'm a home distiller, making the best hooch I've ever drank, and damn proud of it.....

hmmmm, probably shouldn't be posting that...

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I am a hobby distiller and proud of it. And Boom does make good hooch( in theary) :wink:
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

I am also proud to be a hobby distiller and in the company of the people here. (Except for those at s3 cause I am jealous
To not be among them) lol.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

I'm a proud hobby distiller. I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I'd be, had I tried this journey without the guidance from here. Both in safety and skill. I can also vouch for Boomtown's well made spirits. I have about a third of a bottle left, that I can't bring myself to drink. While its there, I know I still have it. If I drink it, then its just... Gone! I take tiny sips, just for the taste, every once in awhile.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Very true KY we're ahead of the pack having guidance with fellow distillers. Something that can be broadened with making it legal.

I stand by my belief I own the right to do what I think.is right and just.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I'm a damn proud home hobby distiller, and I vote. I'm also proud to be part of the group that is legalizing hobby distilling in my country. It's happening soon guys & gals. We're making serious strides.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

RandyMarshCT wrote:I'm a damn proud home hobby distiller, and I vote. I'm also proud to be part of the group that is legalizing hobby distilling in my country. It's happening soon guys & gals. We're making serious strides.
Our Governor here in the State of Washington just signed a bill to help also in the process. I think the legal realm are starting to see the bigger picture.
Fills Jars Slowly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fills Jars Slowly »

I am proud to be a hobby distiller. I like the way ol' Hank said it:

"We make our own whiskey, our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys can't do"

"You can't stomp us out, you can't make us run, cause we're them ol' boys raised on shotguns"

http://youtu.be/3cQNkIrg-Tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Fills Jars Slowly wrote:
"We make our own whiskey, our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys can't do"
That sounds like someone I know...
Justafarmer
Novice

Post by Justafarmer »

Justafarmer here, and I am a hobby distiller. I grow vegetables, hunt and fish, make soap, raise chickens, cure my own bacon and sausage, make mead, cyser, and cider, blacksmith a little, make a lot of knives, do some woodwork, and do a little leatherwork. I am also college educated and work in the healthcare industry. Making my own liquor issply another piece of the pie. I like to do for myself. My grandfather told me that he always believed that if someone could do some particular thing, then he could do it, too. I feel that way about the things I make.