I'm a hobby distiller and proud of it.

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Muffin Man
Novice

Re: I'm a hobby distiller and proud of it.

Post by Muffin Man »

I am a Marine veteran who has always done what's right. I run toward the loud noises not away. I pay my taxes even though I don't always agree. I hunt. I fish. I know karate. Damn it I am just a good Ole boy doing the rights things...I AM A HOBBY DISTILLER. Thank you HDA for all your work. We support you.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

I am and it is a shame that everything that is being legalized we still have to be on edge all the time about our hobby.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
city shiner
Bootlegger

Post by city shiner »

I'm a damned decent human being, love my wife, never have cheated on my taxes or relationships, live for my kids, helped my wife raise her kids, ive changed diapers, sat up late helping mend broken hearts, I've treated my wife like a queen, and helped her mend when she was sick. And I'm putting together a still to become a hobby distiller, and I aint ever broke a law that's worth a damn. When I make my first drop, I'll be proud as hell of it. "legal" or not.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I am a hobby distiller. I do not make moonshine, likker, or white lightning. I look down at those that do. I do not sell what I make. I do not distill more than I feel I need. I do not distill to drunk. I distill for the very same reasons I cook, brew beer, make bread, smoke meats, and grow vegetables organically. I distill to make something that is delicious first, and try for the highest quality. I distill to make something by myself that is better than what can be bought. I distill because I enjoy the process. I am proud of my home made product. I do not care what people think of my hobby.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Hear hear
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

I don't care what anyone is making. My product is top shelf and only for me. Unless I know you're someone that can truly appreciate the artform, then I MIGHT share a small sample. Do you feel lucky... punk?
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Proud of most of what I make and especially of some of it, even my father don't fault it and he can find fault with anything I accomplish. Personally I try to not look down on anyone, looking down never made me taller and takes my focus away for seeing where I'm going :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I like to still, i like the process and is over joyed when something works (malted corn, if only a handful), get frustrated when it goes to fuck (cuts, you are a bastard to figure out). I'm yet to be super proud of my drink, but that's just me, not skilled enough yet.

In many ways it's like doing home improvements, pissed of when hitting the tumb with the hammer, annoyed when the door hung isn't 100% flush or that the kitchen counter have a slight slant. But in the end I did up my house missing skirting boards and all.

Why should there be a law making one of them illegal.
Don't be a dick
craftsman
Novice

Post by craftsman »

I am proud to be a distiller of a hobby that makes the best liquid out of raw materials on the farm. Grain, berries, apples, peaches, plums and cherries. After all there is only so much jam and can goods one can use. Hootch lasts lifetimes if you don't consume it all. I especially love making bourbon, rye and brandies. great gifts for b-days and christmas. Just makin' something from natural produce found on the farm makes life that much better!
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

Im a hobby stiller and proud.

I havent posted here in a year or two, but actually had to find my password to say that.

I pay my taxes, cooperate with the law and like to think ill leave the world a little bit better than i found it.

I work hard, i play hard, and once im done i drink hard too!
I have a simple pot with which i make whisky for me and rum for the other half.
I have a 2" nixon stone for makin neutral and recycling feints.

I appreciate the need for some kind of licensing in a hobby like this one.
Lord only knows the mayhem caused if the general populace were given access to unlimited 95% etoh.

I am sensible enough to be safe making it, and smart enough not to be handing it around.

I would happily pay the tax (£7.70 per bottle of 40%) on my own hangover free booze.
But i cant.
Until then, ill just have to keep refilling the same duty stamped bottles until the glass wears thin!

Which incidentally, i believe is the greatest danger i what i do.

Consider me stood up to be counted.

J
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

HELL YEAH I DISTILL!!!!

Got I think 16 other people doing too with my "hangover free sermons" :lol: If I pull a bottle out I'm quick to say I made it from scratch, 153* water and grain, ended up with what you're tasting after aging 2-3 years. (soon be aged about a week because I haven't run a batch in so long)

I make my own bread, build anything and everything in the garage out of scrap stuff (repurposing they call it now, the uppity twits)

I look forward to the day I can say "might be legal now sonny, but back when I was a youngin', twas il-le-gal believe you me"!

Proud libertarian!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
rnw349
Bootlegger

Post by rnw349 »

I make my own likker. I drink my own likker. If you should have the opportunity for a taste consider yourself lucky. I am an artisan home distiller. I don't make moonshine, I make artisan craft likker. Mostly whiskey, and a run or 2 of rum a year. I built my 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd micro distillery, all from information obtained here in this wonderful forum that preaches safety 1st. I have made the best whiskey I've ever drank, and taught 1 other, who has rivaled my best yet, maybe even better. I think his wife's recipe might be even better. I'm proud of what I've made, and love making it. Thanks to the HD forum, and to all those who have put so much effort into providing such valuable information.

Rnw
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I've never known anyone that made their own booze that went back to buying it. It don't have anything to do about money, I've got lots of that. It don't have anything to do with not being able to find somthing quality to buy, I can do that. I think it's about doing it yourself, we can't all go grow vetibales, hunt a hog, or build a house from the foundation up. Anyone can build a still and make a drink that they made on their own, I think that's why this hobby is so much fun.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I'm proud to be a hobby distiller who busts his ass, malting my own barley, milling, cooking, converting, fermenting, squeezing it all out, hours stripping and collecting, just to get a fraction of the amount back after more hours on a spirit run, airing, blending, aging. If that doesn't teach you hard work and patience, I don't know what will. Plenty of life lessons to be learned . . . the rewards of all that hard work and patience. I went back to school full time while raising a family and working full time to do better for myself. I think this hobby helped, showing me that putting in time and effort lead to something well worth it all. Applied what i learned distilling and came out above all odds, even making dean's list. And at 43 years old, that ain't an easy task. So i'm proud to be a hobby distiller. It's not just about making alcohol. It's the process, the care, every single step of the way, learning more every time. And it's damn hard work. You want to know who the hard workers in the world are? Find a hobby distiller. When the rest of the people sit down after a long day and put their feet up, crack a beer or a bottle from the likker store, we go home to do more hard work. Yup. We must be crazy. Wouldn't have it any other way!
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I'm a proud creator and maker of many things, including home made spirits.

Books, friends, the internet, careful consideration, and failure are my teachers. HomeDistiller, and those of you who share here, are an invaluable source of information for this wonderful hobby of chemistry, engineering, design, fabrication, skill, art, and discovery. One of the most satisfying things in my life is the joy of making by hand, with love, and to share the bounty with family and friends. I work hard, I play fair, I pay taxes, I help others, I donate, I teach, I invent, I have high standards, I take care of my family, and I raise my children to have those values.

My greatest remorse with this hobby is that it is not in the open, and that I will likely never got to meet most of you who share this passion. It's great to have you on line, and great to be learning so much from you.

Thanks - DetroitDIY
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I make spirits and liqueurs as a hobby. I am happy to share these with my family and friends and I refuse to sell. I like to share my knowledge and experience so that others can make their own product safely and cheaply. Now where is the harm in all that! I am a hobby distiller and proud to be a member of the hobby distilling community! :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Ditto to both of you guys. And not to mention the pride I have in Home Distiller.
I invite everyone to check this site out. Like a pesky Amway salesman.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I'm happy to be part of this here crew and learn from the knowledge shared so openly and pay it forward at any opportunity.

A recipe is but a suggestion and to hell if I'm gunna follow it 100%. I'll do it this way this time and sum other way next time and it's all going to be different every time.

I'm here to create - not re-create.
I'm here to make - not re-make.

If you're ever in the area please let's pour a couple fingers and pull up a chair for a spell.

Cheers!
johann
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
drotto
Novice

Post by drotto »

proud to be on my way to becoming a hobby distiller.

i'm only just getting started but i never really considered distilling being illegal as a problem.
i haven't found a person yet to tell me i am doing wrong just a few even know it's illegal to own , run or even build a still.

in the U.S.A. we have a bad habit of allowing laws to be passed we don't agree with at all.
then we ignore the law till it becomes too much intrusion in our lives.
the 55 mph nation wide stupidity is a great example of a stupid law few agreed with then or now.
eventually we toss what ever stupidity was forced onto us.

not the best way of doing things i suppose but it's worked for 200 years already.
so i'm proud to call myself a hobby distiller and proud to be part of a growing movement towards a more sensible world.
D 8)