Making our own documentery

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Making our own documentery

Post by moosemilk »

If they really wanted, they could . . . but i'm sure they'd be happy to snag up an easy one, so why make it easier? Many here may not know about safe assign, but any government official who has gone through school in recent years most likely used it as it, and it's other forms, are used at every major institution now. And almost every program taken requires some form of english or other course that requires a written essay or paper (not sure about USA, but even the taking trades at a college here in Canada requires it.)

To stay on topic, has anybody started to pencil out or anything on this?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

moosemilk wrote:If they really wanted, they could . . . but i'm sure they'd be happy to snag up an easy one, so why make it easier?
+1 be discreet!
moosemilk wrote:To stay on topic, has anybody started to pencil out or anything on this?
There have been some great suggestions already in this thread, and I think your ideas for a coherent layout for the presentation is great.

For this to actually happen, someone will need to lead it, are you accepting nomionations, Moosemilk?
Not sure how you would organize the collection or review of materials, but several trusted members could be involved.

Sounds like you have already put together a considerable amount of research, and it is all clear in your head.

It's no surprise that there are many, many creative, talented folks on this forum, but someone will need to tap into that pool. I think this is a good opportunity to get a message out there.

Whadaya say, Moose?
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I'll help out as much as i can. I'm not sure about being designated as the main force to put it all together. I'm still full-time in school and also working 35 hours a week, add that to being a husband and father . . . time is stretched thin. But I do have some spare bits to allow myself to "reset". The research part is out for me for a bit as I am currently doing research for another essay and presentation for my Metallurgy. But shoot some ideas, I'm up for challenges. Done school beginning of may (already passed two of my CWB tests, WHOOT!).
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

moosemilk wrote: Just a few thoughts for how a documentary could be done. Every so often, you cut back to that original character cooking his whiskey by fire the way he was shown, maybe tell a short unrelated story . . . something to give a bit of entertainment rather than just educational, adds relief and keeps interest. Doing this time to time, maybe he/she (yes, who said the character has to be male? Let's not forget, distilling was once the job of the woman of the house, much like cooking) comes in between each segment, and is the lead in through a story or comment into the next segment. Do this through the entire documentary. Then at the end, this character is seen in suit and tie, or professional dress, getting into their Escalade or whatever fancy car as they are off to their very respectable job in the "real world" and this is just a hobby to them.
that is a good idea. i like it. of course we would 'hire' an actor to play this person.

if i ever get the money together to get myself a good camera and travel it would be an amazing excuse to meet members. that may be a few years from now though. wouldnt hurt having more than one documentory fighting for legalization out there if some one beats me to it.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

I'll feed you. Come on out.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:I'll feed you. Come on out.
haha i aint worried about feedings, i could do to loose a few lbs. its more the money to get there, travel AND get out. last thing id want is to be an ilegal.

i need to learn to drive. get cash for flights, work out some sort of vehicle for when im out there. the rest will be sleeping in the car and trying not to get shot :moresarcasm: . and drinking :lol:
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

Heck Woo, ya just decribed most Saturday nights in the western USA.

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
Massassi
Bootlegger

Post by Massassi »

pythonshine wrote:One point to be made, imo, is that because it is illegal people do it in the shadows and those not lucky/smart enough to stumbel upon the HD gem will be missinformed and will be doing it unsafe. With knowledge comes safety, and the legality of the craft at home is hindering that knowledge.

if one of the people being interviewed in the doc was someone talking about getting started that would be good. "I got into this because i really wanted to try and learn how. i built a simple still and got started. the problem with legaility though is that there was no local hobby group. no people i could talk to for advice... looking back, a lot of things could have gone wrong. i never blew up or anything, but what if i hadn't done all the research i did? it could have been dangerous. i really wish there had been someone to mentor me through those first few runs and the first still build"
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

A good point to be made Massassi. Not sure how the blew up part would fly....no need to stir the fear that has been ingrained in the brains of the less educated.. More so debunking the myths with solid evidence and experience, not to mention knowledge. You can just as easily blow up filling your car. Yes this site and proper instruction reduces the risk. Is it a good idea to tell the world we started willie nilly? Not sure. this would have to be well thought, ironed out, combed, and picked apart again.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:If the fed wanted to incriminate any of us through this website it would be done already.

Any computer savvy individual (I am not one) could hop on here and fetch your name, address, ip address and probably much more.
Do you think this website could protect our annonymity even from the fed?
Don't have to even own a computer... It would be as simple as posing as a hobbyists here,have a Facebook account, exchange emails THROUGH THE SITE!!!,then look at your Facebook at people you may know... Voila! Full name, pictures, a lot of times location or home,hell sometimes even what they ate for supper,political affiliations, even phone number.
Theres several members here I'm friends with on Facebook from this exact scenario.
Jb-t
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Mtez44
Novice

Post by Mtez44 »

Was so excited reading this thread! Only to find out it looks like the idea lost some steam. I think this is a great idea and would love to be part of it. I have a drone that records in 4kUHD. Would be happy to help organize the effort in NJ or Northeast US.

Probably best way to do it would be to break up the country into regions and appoint someone to organize the effort in that region. Then all those appointees report to whoever is organizing and responsible for the script/editing.
Massassi
Bootlegger

Post by Massassi »

I don't know. about that Mtez. I think with something like this we are herding cats. the best way to get it done is to do it. we can spend all the time you want getting organised - but that's not the problem - and no one really cares about it because its busy work.

what we need to do (I think) is:
a. work out a few topics that we want covered.
b. we then set up a few threads to discuss content on those topics.
c. once we have a good idea of what each segment of the documentary aught to look like we get volunteers to film it.
d. once all the segments are completed and collected someone edits it into a cohesive whole.
e. from there we look it over and publish so long as there are no unsafe practices etc being shown. this is another of those stages that is likely to bog us down with someone arguing against a minor detail or some such like thing that would require further editing and potentially re-filming of a segment.

otherwise I think we get stuck in committee mode for the rest of our lives and never actually see any results
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Massassi wrote:I don't know. about that Mtez. I think with something like this we are herding cats. the best way to get it done is to do it. we can spend all the time you want getting organised - but that's not the problem - and no one really cares about it because its busy work.

what we need to do (I think) is:
a. work out a few topics that we want covered.
b. we then set up a few threads to discuss content on those topics.
c. once we have a good idea of what each segment of the documentary aught to look like we get volunteers to film it.
d. once all the segments are completed and collected someone edits it into a cohesive whole.
e. from there we look it over and publish so long as there are no unsafe practices etc being shown. this is another of those stages that is likely to bog us down with someone arguing against a minor detail or some such like thing that would require further editing and potentially re-filming of a segment.

otherwise I think we get stuck in committee mode for the rest of our lives and never actually see any results
+1 committee mode will hold back a project like this. best thing would be just go for it.
Massassi
Bootlegger

Post by Massassi »

great, so what do we need for our topics then? how long of a documentary should it be 2 hours goes by pretty quickly when explaining all of our equipment and processes.

I still feel that commentary on the benefits of having clubs and associations where new hobbyists can learn the safe standard practises that help to ensure mitigation of the risks

Basic overview / distillation theory (how far do we get onto this?)

Myths and truths

discussion of product and quality.

the current impact and risks of having and using a still in a few jurisdictions (probably USA, Canada, New Zealand, Europe[france? Germany? UK?]) something that lets us show that there are places that are legal, and places where its tolerated, but others where you can loose your house and everything you own
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

HDA is a small core of like minded, brave souls (who were willing to be public about hobby distilling) led and funded by Rick at Brewhouse to jumpstart lobbying efforts for legalizing hobby distilling. Rick runs every aspect of the HDA site and leads the interaction with the lobbyists.

I tried to interest him in a video project 18 months but there was no interest. A control thing. I don't think there's any overlap, per se, with their efforts as it's highly focused on WDC lobbying. I think this is an area where another core group of interested folks could move this idea forward. I asked on Craigslist for volunteer videographers to assist in filming in return for credits and got several interested parties. That might work for this project. I think it's a great idea.
-Just need something else to build. -
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

The big leap of faith with any project like this is finding the funds...looked into producing a documentary some time back (nothing to do with the hobby) The set-up, which included renting a used pro video camera, was about ten grand...needed about another ten for a couple a B or C rated actors. You have to have a finished script, financial plan, etc before you can start to find the "money people" The return on a well planned venture can be quite substantial...10-20 to 1. I don't have that kind of start up fund under my mattress so it went by the way-side.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Just a quick drnken ramble here - I've not but skimmed this thread, but I find it huge. We are from many countries and yet we already have a publicist - Jez from NZ plying you tube with decent stuff. With our help and input he could be a huge participant on U tube. Ok and good if he manages to make some money ot of it, as long as it could be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Maybe we could work through him ? Our various accents would provide that people were not fooled into thinking this all came from NZ.

Stills are openly on sale in every HB shop, the feds know they're there as do the revenue, but nobody ever tries to stop their sale. We do not sell our product, just as the brewers and winemakers don't. WHY don't the feds just stop the HB shops selling stills ? Clearly there's an ambivalence about it in the beaurocracy.

Why don't they just shut this site down ?

Clearly as long as we don't take the piss, theyre ok with having a site which shows the neb's [edit "Newbs] how to do it safely.

Dunno, but I reckon there's a great way forward through "the tube" for all our countries - not just USA.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Drnken ramble aside(LOL)...

I've always liked this idea... The downside to it, of course, has been mentioned above...the organization. I would say that to create something "worthwhile" would require a bit of planning and effort from many different individuals. I don't know the right "number" though as too few skews the viewpoint and too many mires it in disagreement and bureaucracy. I think getting HDA to endorse it would be a great idea.

I too have noticed the "stills" in my local brew shop.... most of the time they are not called "still" though. Some other creative name that allows the folks to sell them and the authorities to look the other way. I'll be honest..the gal at my brew shop knew what I was doing the first few times I came in. Told me she has "several" customers that do the same, and they give her samples. Her husband loves the "local stuff"...he's a cop

Also with Jes doing his thing, there is a new public awareness. I hope for his continued success and his subscriber count is growing slowly. I agree he may be able to play a role if we were to ever get something together. Maybe he can do a video describing the "facts", i.e. some new info coming out of NZ following legalization there: alcohol related deaths, house fires, etc... As much as I cannot stand M. Moore maybe something like a "Roger and Me" approach to the "documentary"... you know...WITHOUT the lies and bullshit. :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Oh they call them stills over here all right, RG come with full instructions, turbo yeast, "flavouring essences" and in my local one, samples of what the owner has made.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

It's the sort of idea that could either fall on it's face or take off and become an internet sensation. It's worth a go...if it takes off in a big way it could change the way the hobby is perceived globally...and if it does a dirt kiss...too bad, nothing ventured nothing gained.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Dunno. If we start blowing a large trumpet, important people who have been content to ignore us may have to take notice....
Geoff
The Baker
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

The Baker wrote:Dunno. If we start blowing a large trumpet, important people who have been content to ignore us may have to take notice....
Geoff
And this is exactly "the name of the game" I would love to see us rattle some establishment cages.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Ole boys figure it about like the dope that legal someplaces now. Its legal cause the old folks that is set in there ways are diein out. Itll be legal one day but dam sure wont be today. Way ole boys think yall should go bout it is makein a good product an bein discret. Course if you wanna get on a mountain top an shout look at me Yall grown

So im tole
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

I reckon you should work with some of us Kiwis, we can do all sorts over here and it is legal as.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
The Baker wrote:Dunno. If we start blowing a large trumpet, important people who have been content to ignore us may have to take notice....
Geoff
And this is exactly "the name of the game" I would love to see us rattle some establishment cages.
If ya rattling that establishment cage from the inside it ain't gonna be a whole lot joy
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

johnsparrow wrote:I reckon you should work with some of us Kiwis, we can do all sorts over here and it is legal as.
This has to be done by the Kiwis....and at home, as you are carrying the banner of freedom for the whole distilling world. If any of us here pulled a stunt like this we could only distill water...and it could still be considered "conspiracy to commit" for just showing someone how to do it safely.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

There was a PBS show in the early 90's called "Great Pits of America"...they spent a half an hour, of the hour long show, visiting two different Barbecue Pits or grills across America, it was a great show to watch with a plate full of ribs.
This concept would work as an intro to home distilling if you could find the backing from the distilling Industry, a half an hour distillery tour followed by a half an hour Home distillery following a similar end product...like a good clean Bourbon. (The BATFE would shit kittens)
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
johnsparrow wrote:I reckon you should work with some of us Kiwis, we can do all sorts over here and it is legal as.
This has to be done by the Kiwis....and at home, as you are carrying the banner of freedom for the whole distilling world. If any of us here pulled a stunt like this we could only distill water...and it could still be considered "conspiracy to commit" for just showing someone how to do it safely.
You should try the kiwi distilling site, they seem to know what is what from what I can see. They are pretty helpful and seem friendly enough.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

What about a mockumentory? A totally unbelievable POS movie...a zinc coated steel trashcan still, an all plastic condenser, EVERYTHING wrong!...chased by phony cops, selling to underground phony bootlegers, the whole nine... but end it with a "hook"... if you want to know how a "real" still works at the hobby level go to "Home distiller forums"
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

kiwi Bruce wrote:What about a mockumentory? A totally unbelievable POS movie...a zinc coated steel trashcan still, an all plastic condenser, EVERYTHING wrong!...chased by phony cops, selling to underground phony bootlegers, the whole nine... but end it with a "hook"... if you want to know how a "real" still works at the hobby level go to "Home distiller forums"
Dunno if it would work but I love the idea.

Geoff
The Baker