New Hampshire Hobby Distilling Bill in Committee

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Squint
Bootlegger

New Hampshire Hobby Distilling Bill in Committee

Post by Squint »

From an email from Hobby Distillers Association, maybe of interest to some.

Representative Scott Wallace of the 33rd District of New Hampshire contacted us to let us know that the bill that he has sponsored to legalize hobby distilling in New Hampshire has gone to committee. You can read the entire bill here http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_st ... lText.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow? sy=2017&id=484&txtFormat=pdf&v=current
( sorry, I cannot get this link to work )

It is true that hobby distilling must be legalized federally in order to be fully legal. However, if this bill passes to legalize hobby distilling in New Hampshire, then New Hampshire will join Alaska, Arizona, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, and Rhode Island as states where hobby distilling will become legal immediately once it becomes legal federally.

If you live in New Hampshire, feel free to reach out to Representative Wallace to thank him. Alternatively, if you live in a different state, use New Hampshire's bill as an example when contacting your state and federal representatives. We are continuing to work with our lobbyist in pushing for federal legalization, and we appreciate everyone who has been contacting their representatives.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: New Hampshire Hobby Distilling Bill in Committee

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Squint wrote:It is true that hobby distilling must be legalized federally in order to be fully legal. However, if this bill passes to legalize hobby distilling in New Hampshire, then New Hampshire will join Alaska, Arizona, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, and Rhode Island as states where hobby distilling will become legal immediately once it becomes legal federally.
I need some clarification here...the alphabet soup agency in charge of alcohol, tobacco and firearms here in the US...used to be called BATFE now I think it's the ATFB, anyway, federal agencies make regulations to control the parameters under which they operate, and serve the public. However these aren't laws...there regulations. Did Congress ( the only law makers in the land) actually pass a law limiting our hobby, and if not, doesn't a State Law Trump an agencies regulations ?
I live in PA and it's absolutely in our laws that the hobby is legal in this State.

Just questioning the boundaries is all.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
Squint wrote:It is true that hobby distilling must be legalized federally in order to be fully legal. However, if this bill passes to legalize hobby distilling in New Hampshire, then New Hampshire will join Alaska, Arizona, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, and Rhode Island as states where hobby distilling will become legal immediately once it becomes legal federally.
I need some clarification here...the alphabet soup agency in charge of alcohol, tobacco and firearms here in the US...used to be called BATFE now I think it's the ATFB, anyway, federal agencies make regulations to control the parameters under which they operate, and serve the public. However these aren't laws...there regulations. Did Congress ( the only law makers in the land) actually pass a law limiting our hobby, and if not, doesn't a State Law Trump an agencies regulations ?
I live in PA and it's absolutely in our laws that the hobby is legal in this State.

Just questioning the boundaries is all.

https://www.hobbydistillersassociation. ... s-by-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow (HDA seems to have some kind of ssl/security issue (if you don't input any info it should be fine but there are other places to find the same info too))

Have a look at HDA's website KB... good little breakdown on state vs federal (federal trumps state on everything I have read.... whether federal is willing to go after it[i.e. marijuana] is a different story)

Spent a lot of my youth in NEPA, and my early adulthood in SEPA(...is that a thing...?) PA is illegal to manufacture (I live next door... another Illegal state).
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Great news Squint. This link will take folks to the NH "Bill Search", and folks can type in "distillation" to get to HB 427.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/index/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I like that they just added "distillation" to the existing Beer and Wine law. Looks simple. Hope it passes. I need to work on this my state.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels