Interesting bit from the Canadian Excise Act

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Craddosk
Novice

Interesting bit from the Canadian Excise Act

Post by Craddosk »

So was doing some reading over the past few weeks, and found the following definition under the Canadian Excise Act:
Licence fee for chemical still

134 (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person to whom a licence to import, manufacture, possess and use a chemical still is granted shall pay to the collector of the district or excise division in which the still is situated a licence fee prescribed by the regulations.

Marginal note:Exception

(2) Any person importing, manufacturing, possessing and using a chemical still, the measured content of which does not exceed twenty-three litres (23 L), or any bona fide public hospital duly certified as such by the Department of Health importing, manufacturing, possessing and using a chemical still of any capacity, may, on registering the still at the office of the collector of the district or excise division in which it is situated, be permitted to import, manufacture, possess and use the still without payment of a licence fee or the giving of a bond, but the importation, manufacture, possession or use of the still without registration shall be deemed an importing, manufacturing, possessing or using of a still contrary to this Act. (emphasis added)
Which, correct me if I'm wrong, that if you're wishing to possess a still under 23 litres for using it as a chemical still (defined below), you can just register with the Excise office and be fine. That being said, you are have to follow what they consider a chemical still, meaning no distillation of drinkable spirits but water is fine...

I can't find any information saying that they can inspect at their choosing and whatnot. But haven't called them to discuss specifics yet. Max fines for unregistered still are fines of $5-10 000 and up to 12 months in jail.

Chemical Still (definition):
chemical still means any distilling apparatus that is kept and used by any person for the sole purpose of distilling water or reclaiming alcohol previously used in or for the preparation or manufacture of chemical, medicinal or pharmaceutical preparations, or that is used for scientific or industrial purposes, and not used for the manufacture or distillation of spirits, of which use in every case the Minister shall be the sole judge; (alambic de chimiste)
Excise Act:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... lText.html

In case someone wishes to call and inquire further....
Excise Act offices:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/em/edm1- ... 1-2-e.html

Anyone have any thoughts?
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Interesting bit from the Canadian Excise Act

Post by Still Life »

EDITED OUT
Last edited by Still Life on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Interesting bit from the Canadian Excise Act

Post by StillerBoy »

Craddosk wrote:Chemical Still (definition):
chemical still means any distilling apparatus that is kept and used by any person for the sole purpose of distilling water or reclaiming alcohol previously used in or for the preparation or manufacture of chemical, medicinal or pharmaceutical preparations, or that is used for scientific or industrial purposes, and not used for the manufacture or distillation of spirits, of which use in every case the Minister shall be the sole judge; (alambic de chimiste)
To my understand of the definition, if it is from the status, the definition covers many part.. the underline part speaks about spirit, therefore spirit is covered..

But will look into it further, and thanks for the research..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein