A discussion/interview with Rick of the HDA

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jes2xu
Swill Maker

A discussion/interview with Rick of the HDA

Post by Jes2xu »

Hi all,

It looks like I am going to have the opportunity to interview Rick, the head of the HDA.

I would love to know what you would ask him.

Things you want to know, things you think that are important to talk about etc.

I guess the point is to get a little exposure and answer questions for people. Let me know what you think.

Cheers :)
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: A discussion/interview with Rick of the HDA

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Jes2xu did you get to talk to Rick yet ? I'd love to know...I would have to ask..."are we any closer to having the Hobby legalized here in the US ? or is it now just a pipe dream."
Getting hung up all day on smiles
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

That's a great opportunity. I think folks should know how hard he worked and how much money came out of his own pocket for something he (and we) truly believe in. Maybe hit up a few US Senators or Reps who supported the effort on the first go round for interview time or at least a comment.

Rick should be told (again) how many people support him and believe in both him and this Herculean task!

IMHO... :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Sorry team.

This is yet to happen yet. And that is entierly my fault!

I need to get back onto this!
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Where would this interview be published?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi Jes. My specific questions pertain to US laws. Here are a few questions I have:

What are the major/top objections given for opposing HD?
(Is there data to support, or data that disproves the concern. We need a list, and a response documented for each concern.)
What/Who are the major obstacles to legalizing HD?
(People to target with communications and data.)
Who are the top national supporters/advocates for HD?

Who is the HDA? Board members, general members (types of members), lobbiests, etc.

What is the high level approach HDA is pursuing for legalization of HD? (State focus, national, through retailers, etc.)
If there is a state approach, are their leads assigned by state to help organize folks.

Of the states that allow legal HD, what parts of their regulations do you embrace and which are not good for us? Is there a generic or model draft legislation we can promote? (I saw one state's approach to this was simply to add the text "home distilling" to the laws allowing home brewing and wine making. No other specifics.)

How active is HDA? While I've not aggressively searched for this, I've never seen communications from them, been asked to write a letter, call a legislator, been asked to organize people or communications, etc. I have only seen requests for donations. IMHO, change like this requires vocal desire for change. Legislators only respond to volumes of people pressuring them. (Think NRA. They get stuff done throuh intimidation of elected officials with mass numbers of letters and phone calls all asking for the same thing. People willing to write a letter typically vote.)

Do you have a list of prepaired questions already? If so, would love to see what you have so far.

hope this helps. Otis.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

masonsjax wrote:Where would this interview be published?
On my youtube channel. Although now that you mention it that way, a written summary could be typed up too. Could be good to share that around.
OtisT wrote:
Do you have a list of prepaired questions already? If so, would love to see what you have so far.

hope this helps. Otis.
Thanks Otis,
I think my opinion and view of this is fairly similar to your own. I think that is exactly how this issue should be tackled. Many thanks for the questions!

I have a lot rolling around in my head and have some other suggestions offered on other platforms too. I will reduce them down to one list, I see no reason why I cant publish that list for feed back before going ahead.

I have also toyed with the idea of running this as a live interview. So people are able to ask questions etc on the fly. Rick seems totally open to this. It does pose a whole new level of dificulty for me, but if people would like it we can look at doing that.
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Jes2xu wrote:
On my youtube channel. Although now that you mention it that way, a written summary could be typed up too. Could be good to share that around.
I'm actually a subscriber to your channel and have been following the thread about your journey, but for some reason your username didn't click in my brain. :crazy:

I'm looking forward to seeing the interview :thumbup:
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

masonsjax wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:
I'm actually a subscriber to your channel and have been following the thread about your journey, but for some reason your username didn't click in my brain. :crazy:

I'm looking forward to seeing the interview :thumbup:

Ah cool thanks, man! Fair enough . . . seeing as there really isn't a logical link! haha
Have a thread here that kinda follows along with the vids too.

So looks like we have a date set!

So if anyone else has any questions let me know ASAP :)