a real use for foreshots

Alcohol is an inexpensive, clean and renewable fuel source.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
retired

Re: a real use for foreshots

Post by rad14701 »

Rum Bum wrote:Rad you've got a bunch of those little burners. No wonder you've perfected it. Do you cut up every soda and beer can you drink?
Your wife must be disgusted with that little hobby of yours. And what a waste of time man.

Well now that I know how to make 'em I'm gonna try this after my next beer haha. :ebiggrin:

RB
Not even close, Rum Bum... In fact, I usually go out and buy a can just so I can turn it into a stove... Everyday beer cans are just too thin... And most of the pop (soda) and flavored water that we drink comes in plastic bottles... The best 12oz cans to use are MtnDew because they are the thickest... Other than those I go for 24oz cans like the ones that Arizona Tea drinks and beer come in... And the there's the monstrous Heineken beer cans... And I still have several aluminum beer bottles to butcher one of these days...
Rum Bum
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Bum »

Rad, I bet those Heineken cans that look like mini kegs would look rad.

Oh and off topic but on the subject of Heineken, I just told my roommate that it would be so dope to make a mini flute using a Heinekeg. :ewink:

genious

RB
Pelson
Novice

Post by Pelson »

Hi,

Sorry to kick this thread up, but I was wondering:

Does anyone of you guys knows the MSR-type stove? The whisperLite?
It's a stove that runs on almost any kinda fuel. From petrol to lamp-stuff to...
So I was wondering... If I was to collect all my foreshots, if it would make a good fuel for this thing...

I go out in the mountains quite a lot, and this stove always saves the day, but the fuel isn't always that cheap, so it would make a great deal like that!

*edit: the website says: Multi-Fuel: Burns white gas, kerosene, and unleaded auto fuel
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Pelson, that model should burn foreshots or anything high proof just fine... As I recall it'll even run 70% - 90% rubbing alcohol and Heet... Don't quote me on those two though...
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

i have exactly the same stove.

ace little unit arent they?

i have run mine a few times on surgical spirits, so yeah 4shots will be great in there.

never tried watering it down, but hey, if the damn thing will run on diesel, i dont think a bit of water will bother it!

try it. cant do any harm.

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

the manual says. "white gas, naptha, unleaded auto gas, kerosene, and diesel. " nothing about alcohol. msr's tech # 800-531-9531. check first so you don't ruin your seals / gaskets! 8-4:30 pacific usa time. i have the same stove and have never tried alcohol in it because i have alcohol stoves also. cob
be water my friend
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

There are reviews all over the net (if you believe reviews :angel: ) that give this stove very high marks. The only thing I haven't seen mentioned burned in one is wood. Folks have burnt everything liquid that will catch fire. If you got a use for it a fella can't go wrong with this little unit. Afterall, you know a guy that'll have an endless supply of fuel. :ewink:
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

msr says alcohol will pit the fuel bottle and degrade the seals leaving you with a leaking stove. believe the internet or believe the manufacturer, you choose. the call is free. cob
be water my friend
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

cob wrote:msr says alcohol will pit the fuel bottle and degrade the seals leaving you with a leaking stove. believe the internet or believe the manufacturer, you choose. the call is free. cob
Alcohol being more caustic than petroleum products... :esurprised: Where has that notion been discussed before...??? :lolno:

I remember back 30+ years ago when they first attempted to add ethanol into gasoline, back in the late 70's or early 80's... What a nightmare... We were doing fuel system work constantly... Not only were seals being damaged from one end of the car to the other but the fuel was actually causing the galvanization to wash off the inside of the fuel tanks... Whether it was just the ethanol or the ethanol in combination with other additives was never determined...
Pelson
Novice

Post by Pelson »

Darn.... wouldn't want that to happen...

Too bad! (but actually: the foreshots aren't quite alcohol (ethanol) are they?)
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

foreshots are mostly etho, and a few nasties that are much worse!

etho will degrade anything it comes across, which is what makes it so loooverly! it has degraded me quite a bit over the years!

but the fuel tank on these things is thicker than the usual sig bottles (which are very cheap replacements btw) and are gonna take some serious use to bother em.

i havent used mine in a while, but as i remember the only important seal is the one between the pump and the tank. the seal in the pressure pump is only small, and in theory shouldnt be exposed at all.

wrap the main seal in ptfe? or see if you can find a fibre washer to fit.

as i say, used surgical spirits from the medical tin often enough and mine seems fine. we are a lot less worried about leaching here than with the still, so simple mechanical properties are good.

obviously though, regular visual inspections are essential.

id have thought that the cost of replacing the tank every now and then would completely offset the cost of proper fuel once you consider that you have an essentially free replacement.

on another note though, the little tin can burners are much cheaper, lighter, and do nearly as good a job as these things.

that would be the main reason i havent used mine in a while!

but obviously, it's completely up to personal decision.

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
RScottyL
Novice

Re: a real use for forehots

Post by RScottyL »

rad14701 wrote:My latest one can design with a rolled top edge seal in both 12 and 24 ounce sizes... Pot stand optional due to the side jet design...
side-view.jpg
top-angle-2.jpg

Another good thing to make alcohol stoves out of is the Axe cans.

Do a search on Youtube and there are videos on how to do it.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Last summer I dumped about 300 ML down a (in-ground) yellow jacket nest ...wiped out the entire colony. :thumbup:
Normally, I live & let live, but the little shits stung me 5 times trimming shrubs ...payback's a bitch.
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
JYBC2009
Novice

Post by JYBC2009 »

rockchucker22 wrote:One of my side hobbies is rebuilding old colman lanterns I really like the 40's era easy to work on and runs on anything including foreshots.
I have a coleman Dual Fuel I use alot while chasing elk in Colorado, would fore's work with it?
"This isn't 'Nam, This is Bowling! There are F@$%ing Rules!"
downriverdirty
Novice

Post by downriverdirty »

if anyone would like to use a penny stove for heat try googling "flower pot heater"....nice little set up using clay pots....your wife/GF may be pissed about her missing flower pots
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

Any ideas on additives that would color flames without dangerous fumes? I've heard of stuff but was usually in relation to outdoor flame.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

segaskin wrote:Any ideas on additives that would color flames without dangerous fumes? I've heard of stuff but was usually in relation to outdoor flame.
Nothing in liquid form that I'm aware of... :think:
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

JYBC2009 wrote:
rockchucker22 wrote:One of my side hobbies is rebuilding old colman lanterns I really like the 40's era easy to work on and runs on anything including foreshots.
I have a coleman Dual Fuel I use alot while chasing elk in Colorado, would fore's work with it?
Yep. They work just fine in my OLD Coleman stove. My fores usually run >90% and they work well.

tp
gregbrew
Novice

Post by gregbrew »

I'm putting foreshots in a spray bottle to disinfect door knobs. Gotta be careful not to damage the finish on surrounding surfaces!

On a related note, my heads are too harsh to drink, even after carbon filtering. So, after filtering, I use 3/4 cup of heads (at 80%) with 1/4 cup of aloe leaf gel from the plant in my yard...instant hand sanitizer! (It's 60% alcohol in the final form, so it meets CDC recommendations.) Well, not really instant. Prepping the gel for use is a pain in the posterior, and filtering the heads is necessary to remove unpleasant odors in the final product. (Some kind of interaction with the aloe that smells really foul.) I'm using a copper pot still, so 80% is the best I can do.

Regardless, I'm the only guy around that still has hand sanitizer.

These are strange days... :wtf:
StillsNMash
Novice

Post by StillsNMash »

I use the foreshots for a gun cleaner recipe instead of kerosene. I also use it for a recipe for penetrating oil I use on the gun bench as well.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I save my fores and have a couple gallons now. I'll us it for shaving with a dash of after shave blended for subtle fragrance. Pot still @ about 80%ABV full strength. Incredibly smooth shave and a general use solvent in the shop.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

I use my foreshots in a spray bottle to kill those nasty fruit flies..
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Black Hearts wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:13 am I use my foreshots in a spray bottle to kill those nasty fruit flies..

It's also quite effective on spotted lanternfly nymphs. Hopefully the adult lanternflies are just as susceptible.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I use my heads from a reflux run to make windshield cleaner fluid for my car and truck. Smells a little like you're running the still when you clean you windows while driving.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Anyone macerated lemongrass etc to use as an anti mosquito spray?
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice idea!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————