a real use for foreshots

Alcohol is an inexpensive, clean and renewable fuel source.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cob
Master of Distillation

a real use for foreshots

Post by cob »

pop stove-1.jpg
pop stove-3.jpg
alcahol stove made from 2 pop cans weighs about .6 of an oz. boils 2 cups of water in 6.5 min. with 25 ml. high strength alcahol. can be made with a leatherman in 10 min. more refined builds yield better results. search; pop can stove, pepsi can stove, penny stove, or zen stove, the zen stove site is the hd of pop can stove sites. a safety note. the stove IS lit in both photos. cob
edit spelling
Last edited by cob on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be water my friend
still_in
Novice

Re: a real use for forehots

Post by still_in »

awesome! also i recently used foreshots from rum, corn likker, and apple likker to strip decades of bad landlord paint jobs off a beautiful old hardwood door in my aparment!
liqarchy - a society based on liquor
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Don't get me going with my vast collection of alcohol stoves... One of my other addictions... Yet another hobby that gets you looking at every small container and wondering if it can be used in one way or another... Every aluminum bottle or can becomes an item of intrigue... :roll:
Nightforce
Swill Maker

Post by Nightforce »

Must go hand in hand, I too have a few stoves from aluminum bud lite bottles and a few Pepsi can stoves with wire mesh supports. Was even thinking about getting a Petromax Alcohol lantern, foreshots should burn nicely in that.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

i was aware that posting pictures of a tinkerers delight like this was akin to throwing skittles on the floor in a kindergarden, but i could'nt help it. cheap, efficient, a little dangerous, fun, and puts my $80 whisperlite to shame in many respects. cob
be water my friend
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

My latest one can design with a rolled top edge seal in both 12 and 24 ounce sizes... Pot stand optional due to the side jet design...
side-view.jpg
top-angle-2.jpg
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: a real use for foreshots

Post by cob »

looks good. i haven't gotten past pressure stoves yet. the one in the picture and it's stats are my first build 20 #70 jets, modified penny design, haven't yet made one that equals the first, going to try to clone it soon. the up side is that a massive collection will fit in a shoe box or two. the truth is i havn't done any backpacking in years let alone ultralite back packing. i heard myself tell someone recently "the best backpack i ever bought had a 460 and a shower" . that one last brain cell still needs exercise. cob
be water my friend
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

whoa! how the hell is this done? is this gravity fed supply of liquor?

I do a lot of backpacking. the heaviest of which was beer till i got makin good high proof booze.... rad???

sorry tryin to make a big big spoom to match the brain... bahaha. I do pay it forward...

pls?
I was sober this morning, 'til I woke up this afternoon
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

You guys are a bunch of AT threw hikers huu. :roll: :roll:

Out hear in pct/ cdt/cct country we just light a fire and drink the liquor. That's super ultra light, although the stoves are cool. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Hey, piratesteve, I have several designs here that I use... Most of them are self-pressurizing and boil 2 cups of water in under 5 minutes on less than a shot (1oz/30ml) of alcohol... Several of the designs I have can be found on YouTube by searching for "alcohol stove" or "pop can stove" along with building instructions... Another addictive hobby...

The design above is one that I created last summer... I think it unofficially won "stove of the month" on one of the hiking sites back in June 2009... I say unofficially only because all other potential entries were withdrawn...
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

rubber duck wrote:You guys are a bunch of AT threw hikers huu. :roll: :roll:

Out hear in pct/ cdt/cct country we just light a fire and drink the liquor. That's super ultra light, although the stoves are cool. 8) 8) 8) 8)
bitterroots here rubberduck, salmon, selway, lochsa, clearwater, st. joe. only hike through far enough to find elk. diamond strike anywhere is sure enough the lightest stove you can pack, but these are interesting and exersise that one last brain cell i'm nursing. cob
be water my friend
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Ok... Here is the rest of the collection, aside from a few experimentals I have packed away... The ones in the photo above are kept in the van at all times so they aren't in the photo... Gonna try making one out of the aluminum bottles whenever I get the time and have the ambition to do so...
IM000953.JPG
northcountry
Novice

Post by northcountry »

Cleaning paint brushes? Or drizzle on some wood to get fire started in the morning?
gavin
Novice

Post by gavin »

rad14701 wrote:Ok... Here is the rest of the collection, aside from a few experimentals I have packed away... The ones in the photo above are kept in the van at all times so they aren't in the photo... Gonna try making one out of the aluminum bottles whenever I get the time and have the ambition to do so...
IM000953.JPG

Absolutely Brilliant rad!

Although I'm starting to think you have too much spare time on your hands!
scotty
Swill Maker

Post by scotty »

Thanks for the info. I am guessing that i can burn this alcohol in the gizmo that heats my flasks. Ive never even tried using it yet. More hobby stuff that is just on display. no wonder i'm broke lol

teach me and correct me if you are my friend
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

That'll work, scotty... I have a jet stove partially built kicking around here somewhere...
scotty
Swill Maker

Post by scotty »

rad14701 wrote:That'll work, scotty... I have a jet stove partially built kicking around here somewhere...

Thanks Rad :D
teach me and correct me if you are my friend
Peter_Muir
Bootlegger

Post by Peter_Muir »

Just wondering if it anyone has tried to add an additive to the mix to get an orange flame rather than the invisible blue flame from pure alcohol? I was thinking that maybe vegetable oil would be a good additive to add to the alcohol mix for hurricane lamps.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Wow!

Burnin' alcohol in an oil lamp sounds like a disaster waitin' to happen.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Peter_Muir wrote:Just wondering if it anyone has tried to add an additive to the mix to get an orange flame rather than the invisible blue flame from pure alcohol? I was thinking that maybe vegetable oil would be a good additive to add to the alcohol mix for hurricane lamps.
I think you can change that a little by adding a certain salt to the fuel. Have to dig to remember it.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

does not the "light" come from carbon? vaporized along with the fuel. then "glow" with heat and oxygen.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Peter_Muir wrote:Just wondering if it anyone has tried to add an additive to the mix to get an orange flame rather than the invisible blue flame from pure alcohol? I was thinking that maybe vegetable oil would be a good additive to add to the alcohol mix for hurricane lamps.
DO NOT burn alcohol in a hurricane lamp ever. lamp oil is the proper fuel for hurricane lamps. cob
be water my friend
TXnational
Novice

Re: alcohol stove

Post by TXnational »

Love the designs.

What about a space heater? Anyone had success with constructing a space heater that uses methanol or ethanol? What would be the concerns?
ferret
Novice

Post by ferret »

Watered down a little, it makes great glass cleaner

Ferret
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it. :)
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

Last night it was a bit cool out while running my rig. After collecting the foreshots I was trying to find a place to store thenand what to use them for. I look over and see the dogs bowl, an old stainless mixing bowl. So I toss in the foreshots and light. Instant heat! We were warm for a while. Makes a nice instant heater, just stay far enough away. And keep away from your output.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Nice collection Rad... Apart from feeding the lawnmower in the summer months,
I use foreshots for fuelling my Swedish army trangia alcohol cooker when I climb in the mountains...
96% alc... They light with the slightest spark, so all propane users take heed... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
paintball
Novice

Post by paintball »

Hi Folks,..one of the things that initially caught my interest in distilling alcohol was the heating aspect of it. My first visits here were concerning this subject and rads collection of stoves is what I remember seeing first,.. I also remember thinking "good god these guys are juvenile",... that being said,. "so am I"
As usual I am probably mentioning something you all already know about but,.. in the interest of being redundant,.. have you tried mixing chalk, fores & heads with a bit of vinegar yet? You must know it makes gel fuel. kinda like homemade sterno. A little 4 oz tuna can will burn 3 hours or so, add some magnesium salts and you have a light show. The gel makes it a whole lot less flammable. They actually have heating stoves that burn these cans of it and sold on E bay,.. but I know you guys must know this.
Anyway, another fuel fools use for alcohol.

"what it is, what it was, what it will never be again, 'mise well enjoy it."
What it is, what it was, what it never will be again. 'mise well enjoy it now!
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

good info paintball -- don't apologize for being redundant . You want to talk about redundancy -- search turbo yeast - GEEZ.

I'll have to try your technique. Now, if only we could RAD to put together a build-a-long for that "hi-tech" model he had put together.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

WalkingWolf wrote:I'll have to try your technique. Now, if only we could RAD to put together a build-a-long for that "hi-tech" model he had put together.
Hmmm... Thought I had... Maybe ot was back when the site went down... Soon, rabbit, soon...
Rum Bum
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Bum »

Rad you've got a bunch of those little burners. No wonder you've perfected it. Do you cut up every soda and beer can you drink?
Your wife must be disgusted with that little hobby of yours. And what a waste of time man.

Well now that I know how to make 'em I'm gonna try this after my next beer haha. :ebiggrin:

RB