bakery left overs?

Alcohol is an inexpensive, clean and renewable fuel source.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Skyraider2012
Novice

bakery left overs?

Post by Skyraider2012 »

Just curious as I have searched and cant find any information... There is a local bakery that sells the outdated items at pennies a pound.. I realize a lot of sugar went into these.. could you not basically chop them up add water and yeast, ferment distill and make fuel? has anyone done this?

Thanks.
MadMasher
Swill Maker

Re: bakery left overs?

Post by MadMasher »

The sugar content would depend on what kind of baked goods they are. You would need a lot of sugar to make any worthwhile amount fuel. It could be done but might not be economical for fuel, something to drink though, could be interesting....
People talk about my drinking but never about my thirst.
Mr Shine
Swill Maker

Post by Mr Shine »

Check out this thread...

Oat meal cookie recipe: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =11&t=7622

It was for drinking, but it could give you an idea.

What I'd be interested in seeing would be how much of the ingredients get converted from starch to sugar with the addition of malt.

I'd say give it a whirl if it's cheap. It might just be worthwhile (free being even better). Good luck, if you do try.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Bread converts well with malt or enzymes. A BIAB bag will help strain and drain it- does make a pudding- like muck. I'd bet some things might even make a good drink.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Another good recipe to get the proportions from is this one in the Tried & True section written by Odin:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=35893
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Look up some of fourways old posts . he use to make drinking likker outta old bread.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

A doughnut sugar head... you can't go wrong with that.

I would ask for a rough estimate of flour per X number of doughnuts to help determine how much enzymes are needed to fully convert the starches to sugar. Emmm... doughnut shine.

I bet I'd be real popular if I brought doughnut shine to the office, maybe even get a promotion.
I'm goin the distance...
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Doughnut shine in coffee for a police convention?
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Skyraider2012
Novice

Post by Skyraider2012 »

Thanks guys.. was jsut thinking outloud.. the stuff is like twinkie cna cupcake honeybun type stuff... all with icing and such I would believe lots of sugar in there... Im sure donuts as well... typical is .05 to .10 cents a pound of goods... bread in there as well.. add malt and yeast should be cheap enough.... (I would think anyway) I might have to give it a go and see what happens

Thanks
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Stuff I made from oatmeal cookies turned out great .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Reader
Novice

Post by Reader »

I experimented with blue Cake Frosting to test this possibility, many months ago.
My reasoning was the economy is getting worse and in a SHTF situation, how would people make Fuel or Antiseptic?
The basic principal is that yeast needs sugar to convert to alcohol.
After reading the label and seeing all the preservatives and oils added to the frosting, I thought it would be a fair challenge to try.
I diluted the Icing with water in a sauce pan to the consistancy of thin maple syrup and warmed the mix to seperate the Oils that floated to the top from the rest of the mixture.
I then took 1/2 cup of the mixture and set it aside for the yeast starter and I put the rest of the mixture into a ziplok bag and added yeast nutrients.
I warmed the 1/2 cup of mixture ( without the nutrients ) to 105 F and added 1 packet of bread yeast, then let it stand with a towel over the top of the cup.
1 hour later I stirred the mix in the cup and waited another 1 hour.

I then took the yeast starter and added that to the mixture in the ziplok bag and shook the contents vigorously to add oxygen for the yeast. Then I sealed the bag nearly the whole way across but left a small portion unlocked to let the CO2 escape.
I let the bag sit on my kitchen table and set my video camera to take a snap-shot every 30 minutes, this way I could see how well it worked without sitting to watch it.
The next morning, the ziplok bag looked like a balloon. It fermented. It smelled awful, the scent of alcohol, bread and cake.
It quickly went to the trash, but the experiment was a success.
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

Various 'jelly' fillers (4 jelly donutz) work good! Also, I fermented 'Hungry Jack' pancake syrup & once strawberry soda syrup (<- that came in some 2 gal cornys I got for free)

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Going to try a bunch of cookies and donuts. I have a batch of cake going now, but the icing on cakes foams excessively and about a quarter of it has puked out. This batch will have no icing. The enzyme I used in the last batch seemed to have worked well, so fingers crossed.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

I took a brew bucket full of cookies, pies and donuts, but no cake. I added them to my big turkey roaster with enough water to cover it and brought it to a boil for a few hours. After stirring I had something that looked like chocolate mashed potatoes. Added GLUCOAMYLASE AMYLASE ENZYME AG300L after reducing temp to below 140F and added a tablespoon of 5.2 pH buffer. After a couple of hours is was nice and runny. I will let it steep over night, then take a gravity. I think it is probably too high to pitch at this point.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Came out to SG 1.110, it was way too thick though, diluted it to 1.070 and pitched some Premier Cuvee yeast. Back in a week or so... Hope it doesn't foam too bad like the last batch. So oily.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Did a lot of searching on Optimal ABV, but I did not see a clear consensus on what it might be. 1.070 is taking a LONG time to ferment. Been almost a week and it is still pretty active. There is no shortage of sugar with bakery items, so what should I dilute it to? Seems counter intuitive, but I am understanding that high gravity leads to all sorts of issue, and obviously takes much longer to finish. Does 12% take more than twice as long as 6%? I'm looking at through-put with a fixed volume of fermenters, so pushing up the ABV gives you more alcohol per batch, but lower ABV gives you a quicker result, and if I am understanding, for drinking lower ABV gives a better product.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Cooling the wort to 50F does a good job of hardening the fat and making it simple to remove. It settles the yeast too. I think this will work.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

I just compared GLUCOAMYLASE AMYLASE ENZYME AG300L to the SEB suite of enzymes. The SEB wins hands down with the cupcakes. The SEB made syrup at 25 brix by my refractometer. It was almost off scale. I had to dilute before pitching. The SEB also works at pH's closer to 5. I'm interested to see if this helps with the foaming.