New discover can turn CO2 directly into Ethanol!

Alcohol is an inexpensive, clean and renewable fuel source.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Gilbilly
Novice

New discover can turn CO2 directly into Ethanol!

Post by Gilbilly »

Fascinating.
http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists- ... to-ethanol
"The tech involves a combination of copper and carbon arranged into nanospikes on a silicon surface. The nanotechnology allows the reactions to be very precise, with very few contaminants... When they applied an electric current of just 1.2 volts, the catalyst converted a solution of CO2 dissolved in water into ethanol, with a yield of 63 percent."
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: New discover can turn CO2 directly into Ethanol!

Post by der wo »

Gilbilly wrote: on a silicon surface.
Sorry, rule Nr. 8 :lol:

The problem is, you need energy for this process. For example you have to burn ethanol and with the energy you could produce ethanol again :clap: Unfortunately you loose some of the energy during those reactions.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Sorry to be a wise ass, but I think by silicon is not meant silicone, but the element Si, know to us also as silicium.

But indeed: you need energy to make ethanol in this way. So it is more like a storing device. The same as filling a lake with water when there is enough wind for the windmills and then later drain the lake to make electricity again by watermills.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Silicon is a naturally occurring chemical element, whereas silicone is a synthetic substance... :idea:

It might be due to the difference in native languages but getting the terminology correct goes a long ways in these forums... Members keep getting the two words confused... There is nothing wrong with silicon but silicone has no place in this hobby... Let's use the correct terminology and only provide warnings where warranted...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

New discovery can turn CO2 directly into Ethanol!
My yeast converts sugar into alcohol and CO2
If the wasted CO2 could be turned into ethanol :lol:
Gilbilly
Novice

Post by Gilbilly »

The amazing part to me is that using just copper, carbon, silicon and a little electricity we can turn carbonated water into booze. Now a person in a rule area with a few solar panels has the potential produce liquid fuel for vehicles and equipment minus all the time labor.
john2674
Bootlegger

Post by john2674 »

what really amazes me about this process is the fact that if its scaleable , we can use renewable energy sources at times when their producing more power than needed to suck co2 directly out of the atmosphere or say from the smokestack of a coal power plant, to make a usefull fuel while REDUCING the amount of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere!
edit: Only problem is when you burn ethanol it produces water and ... you guessed it co2. Hmm. :egeek:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Gilbilly wrote:The amazing part to me is that using just copper, carbon, silicon and a little electricity we can turn carbonated water into booze.
Booze? Perhaps fuel.

"When they applied an electric current of just 1.2 volts, the catalyst converted a solution of CO2 dissolved in water into ethanol, with a yield of 63 percent."

What is in the remaining 37%?

"This result was surprising for a couple of reasons: firstly, because it’s effectively reversing the combustion process using a very modest amount of electricity, and secondly, it was able to do this while achieving a relatively high yield of ethanol - they were expecting to end up with the significantly less desirable chemical, methanol.

As Colin Jeffrey explains for New Atlas, this type of electrochemical reaction usually results in a mix of several different products in small amounts, such as methane, ethylene, and carbon monoxide - none of which are in particularly high demand."

I agree that 63% ethanol is probably a great success. But it sounds like if there are also many poisonous congeners.

Edit: Sorry for the silicon silicone confusion. :oops:
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

They'll need more than CO2 to produce ethanol (C2H6O), unless they're supplying accessible hydrogen for the reaction it must be taking it from the water via electrolysis.

Ultimately I can't imagine how this would be energy effective; as more energy would go into production than you'd get back.

If all you're looking to do is sequester the carbon you'd be better off precipitating it something inert like calcium carbonate.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by MDH »

ExpatLad, the big problem with that solution is that the CO2 is dissolved water, converted into carbonic acid, and then reacted with Ca(OH)2 solution. Calcium Hydroxide is produced industrially by the decomposition of CaCO3 which produces CO2, so it would be a fruitless process since it would require lots energy alone just to get the Ca(OH)2, let alone the CO2 CaCO3 itself liberates.

If this solution actually works, it could be a drastically more energy efficient process for producing pure industrial ethanol than conventional distillation of corn mash. It would create carbon neutrality by consuming carbon from the atmosphere and reintroducing it later, rather than only increasing CO2 and taking very little back like conventional corn based ethanol does.

Me? I'd be rather fascinated with Vodka made from this. You know, if it were safe ;).
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Starting from only CO2 and H2O the total reaction has to be:

2 CO2 + 3 H2O + energy --> CH3CH2OH + 3 O2

(Simply the reverse of burning ethanol!)
The yield is 63 %, but what is calculated against what?
Ethanol gives 22 kJ/l on burning, which is about 27,5 kJ/kg.
If the electricity is made without any CO2-emission, the ethanol made by this method can be burned without attributing to global heating.
But:: even electricity from windmills, solar panels of hydroelectricity has some CO2-emission.

It sounds like a perpetuum mobile.

And, viewing from the point of a drinker: I do not know if I would trust it. It might be just as contaminated as a distillate from an unknown ferment!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

shadylane wrote:New discovery can turn CO2 directly into Ethanol!
My yeast converts sugar into alcohol and CO2
If the wasted CO2 could be turned into ethanol :lol:
Well you can ferment in a greenhouse or pipe the carbon dioxide into the greenhouse so you don't waste it: the plants love it.
Maybe even grow grains.....?
Geoff
The Baker