My new pot

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SwineOnShine
Novice

My new pot

Post by SwineOnShine »

Just set up my new pot still. Run a vineger run through it today, will follow with an alcohol run soon. First real run will be a UJSM run. She's tight, no leaks, and I'm ready to go! Here's pics from my cleaning run with a vinager/water mix.
Attachments
Output
Output
The worm
The worm
Still head
Still head
The setup
The setup
0re0
Bootlegger

Re: My new pot

Post by 0re0 »

nice little pot still.
BUUUUUUUUUUURP!
My 1st Rum Run
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

Very nice! You done your homework and I see a parrot waiting on the table. Only question, are you circulating the cooling water? There may be enough cooling capacity in the tub and you will find out anyway.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
SwineOnShine
Novice

Post by SwineOnShine »

Thanks for the compliments!

Ayay...yep, I'm not 100% on the colling water yet...I have a plan to circulate it if necessary. She held up pretty well during the vinager/water run...distillate stayed cold until the end when she heated up a bit. Like you say, I'll find out for sure when I do a alcohol cleaning run. Good eye! I just need to add a stand for the parrot and she'll be ready too.

rockchucker22...yep, sheet copper for the cone section. I was playin' around. I like the way it looks...would've made it longer if I had more sheet, though.

Well, I'm off for another cleaning run. Got my UJSM started last night while watching the Hogs pummel south carolina. Woo Pig Sooie!
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

Nice work Swine. That little beauty will make lots of good shine in its day, Im sure. The Hogs have got hands down, the most decicated fans around. Trust me,I know. :roll: :D
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Nice rig you built there SOS -- You ought to get plenty of good liquor from that rig.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

how can yall tell that charge most likely aint likker cookin from that picture?

you gonna be dipin water? how the hot getin gone

so im tole
submdi
Novice

Post by submdi »

That is nice!

I would love to get my hands on a stainless milk pail like that. Can I ask where you got it?

and if any aussies know where we can get them in Aust?
SwineOnShine
Novice

Post by SwineOnShine »

goose eye wrote:how can yall tell that charge most likely aint likker cookin from that picture?

you gonna be dipin water? how the hot getin gone

so im tole
Yep, that was a vinager and water mix, alright. It cleared out some black nasty stuff.

As to the worm and bucket...I *think* that volume of water *should* keep her cold for the whole run. I'm gonna put in a few fittings so I can add cold water to the bottom and take off the hot at the top, just in case, but she held up good when I did the alcohol cleaning run the other day. That's damn cold well water around that 5/8" worm. When I did the 2nd cleaning run it came out at 130 proof and I shut her down when she went to below 20 proof. Distillate stayed cold the whole time, but that was only about 4 gallon wash. Normal runs would be around 6 gallons. The top got damn hot, but still had about 4" of cold in the bottom of the bucket.

submdi - Several places sell stainless milk pails like mine or similar. Not sure if they ship down under, though, and what the costs would be. Google for "stainless milkcan" and you should find several options, and you can sometimes find them on ebay. They are not cheap, but they are are pretty to look at. :ewink: They're also nice if you don't want something as big as a beer keg, although I've seen them that hold up to 13 gallons.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

swine yup i no it what you said but what would of been diferent in that 1 picture if it be likker
-was just tryin to school you- aint important

so im tole
SwineOnShine
Novice

Post by SwineOnShine »

goose eye wrote:swine yup i no it what you said but what would of been diferent in that 1 picture if it be likker

so im tole
well, I'm not sure, I know it would've smelled a whole lot better, that's for sure! When I did the 2nd cleaning run, with alcohol, the stream didn't shoot out so far, it just sorta fell out the end. Of course, I was running it slower then, too. What would be the tip off?
MashMan

Post by MashMan »

goose eye wrote:swine yup i no it what you said but what would of been diferent in that 1 picture if it be likker

so im tole
you wouldnt be seein them water drops in the funnel eh goose

MM.
SwineOnShine
Novice

Post by SwineOnShine »

MashMan wrote:

so im tole
you wouldnt be seein them water drops in the funnel eh goose

MM.
You folks have keen eyes.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

yup an likker twists.

you look at that beaker. you cant go by that cause hi proof likker aint gonna bead runin all the time.
if you listen close you can hear it changein over. likker dont sound the same like water hitin the likker barel.
you hear water changein over an you right at or mity close to backins an that aint a good thang if yall is horsein around an your pa is watchin

so im tole
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Never knew mine.
But my maw would make us pick our own switches and whup us twice as long if we didn't pick a worthy switch.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

You can bet Ill be spendin my next run with the stereo off and my ear next to the jar. Thanks Goose
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
SwineOnShine
Novice

Post by SwineOnShine »

Smokehouse Shiner wrote:You can bet Ill be spendin my next run with the stereo off and my ear next to the jar. Thanks Goose
Same here. I'm gonna start payin' more attention to the little details.
bship
Novice

Post by bship »

Hey Swine, Did you use any formula for head size, height or the length, size of the extension or did you just build with what you had ?
Nice job btw, how has it been running ?
Cheers, bship
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

This guy hasn't been on for more than a year. dont think your gonna get an answer.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
bship
Novice

Post by bship »

Ok, thanks pf
SwineOnShine
Novice

Post by SwineOnShine »

bship wrote:Hey Swine, Did you use any formula for head size, height or the length, size of the extension or did you just build with what you had ?
Cheers, bship
No formula used, just eyeballed it based on what I've seen and been told, and read on this site. Made the top out of what I had or could get easy and cheap...fittings and a little copper sheet. You could do the same with just fittings. I've made some very fine UJSSM and single malt whiskey with this rig. Also used a keg boiler with the same head for the same stuff.
SwineOnShine
Novice

Post by SwineOnShine »

pfshine wrote:This guy hasn't been on for more than a year. dont think your gonna get an answer.
I ain't dead yet, lol! Things change, then they get better. About to set up and run some pear brandy with this very same head, although with leibig instead of the worm and bucket. That'll be a change.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

bship wrote:Hey Swine, Did you use any formula for head size, height or the length, size of the extension or did you just build with what you had ?
Cheers, bship
Most here build with what they have or to make as user friendly for their work space as possible.
And/ or then try to find a way to factor in collection speed and quality of separation. The last bit usually gets factored after the end user acquires a ppint of view.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
RCecv711
Novice

Post by RCecv711 »

Like your build ,
It looks like a clean simple build
I think I'll look into trying to copy your
Idea. I found this place it looks to be similar to your pot as far as clamp style lid
http://www.caprinesupply.com/new-produc ... -cans.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow