old brewing equipment

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

old brewing equipment

Post by likker liker »

My old brewing stuff, I moved some of the stuff out side to clean and it I thought you might want to see it. I haven't used it for quite some time.
Attachments
Brewing equipment
Brewing equipment
Jimbo
retired

Re: old brewing equipment

Post by Jimbo »

Nice gear! I have 3 of those blue barrels, they're nice.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Damned..! That's some pretty stuff you have there.. :thumbup:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Potato boilers make great mash tuns....is that how you used them? With the steam jackets, they also work as kettle(s) too. Great stuff.

I love the stainless sink...I wish it was mine!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

Yep steam heated mash tun. the steam generator I built at the time was not able to boil that large of a batch.
Last edited by likker liker on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

Here's two more pictures, I built this system over 15 years ago and my first time using hot water tank heaters so I've come a long ways with the new equipment I use to day.
the hot likker tank holds 55gl and the mash tun 45gl.
Attachments
Mash tun
Mash tun
hot likker tank
hot likker tank
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Oh man... That's some nice gear. Are you going to setup a designated place to start using them? They are perfect for this hobby.
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

still_stirrin wrote:Potato boilers make great mash tuns....is that how you used them? With the steam jackets, they also work as kettle(s) too. Great stuff.

I love the stainless sink...I wish it was mine!
ss
I found the sink and the two kettles one day in a scrap steel yard. just about fell over when the guy said he'd sale them to me at scrap steel price but they were to big for his scale, so how about $150.00
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

bearriver wrote:Oh man... That's some nice gear. Are you going to setup a designated place to start using them? They are perfect for this hobby.
old retired now, I've updated
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p7323963
molly is still playing in the hop back
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

You guys are killing me with all this steam talk. I WANT STEAM. With all the fruit musts I do and fermenting on the grain, and the stupid simple flour mashes etc etc steam would be great. Any of you ever spring for a used boiler like this? Im about to pull the trigger but need to sit down with our resident plumber guru WIndy first and get his advice...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROWN-AWI095ENS ... 7912&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Jimbo, I've seen units like that on CL for under $100. I got my NG furnace off CL for $200 and it has worked great for years so far.

I just checked my area and sure enough there is a boiler for $125. Natural gas, 90%+. Installation would cost a lot more than that. My gas guy always has free time in the summer and fortunately takes trade (edit: not liquor for the record).
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks Bear. Ya I didnt mean that one in particular, just a boiler in general, plumbed in the traditional sense, closed loop, not pumping steam into the mash but into a jacket or coils in the mash. Problem Im finding tho is to heat a 25g max size boiler (us here on HD) need a really small boiler, like 50K BTU or 75K if running a boiler and a mash tank in parallel. Most boilers are much bigger and would short cycle themselves to death driving such a small load. Anyway, Im researching, and heading to Windys after work to get a cranium full of knowledge on options. Windys got some great ideas on building a closed loop hot water system with the same electric elements and controllers we use in our boilers now. Ill prolly go that route. Anyway,.... didnt mean to hijack this thread. Those potato cookers are tits.
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

Jumbo, no worries here
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

I have a boiler similar to yours that I'm getting ready to modify. I've had the elements for a while now and have recently received the ferrule assemblies. I'll cut and install these ferrules into the jacket and drill the caps to accept the elements.The elements are 3Kw and fit well into a 6" ferrule. I'll always be able to remove and replace the elements using this modification. I'll use 4 of these elements w/oil to heat my boiler. For a quicker heat up I'm also considering steam injection.

Lately I've been bouncing back and forth between building brewery and still components. Eventually I''ll finish both but at the moment it seems I'm in no rush in this endeavor.
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

DFitz wrote:I have a boiler similar to yours that I'm getting ready to modify. I've had the elements for a while now and have recently received the ferrule assemblies. I'll cut and install these ferrules into the jacket and drill the caps to accept the elements.The elements are 3Kw and fit well into a 6" ferrule. I'll always be able to remove and replace the elements using this modification. I'll use 4 of these elements w/oil to heat my boiler. For a quicker heat up I'm also considering steam injection.

Lately I've been bouncing back and forth between building brewery and still components. Eventually I''ll finish both but at the moment it seems I'm in no rush in this endeavor.
I think the steam is the much better way to go. I've done it both ways and the steam out preforms the heating elements
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

I've considered steam for quite a while before settling on an oil medium. In the end temperature control was the deciding factor.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Yes....steam. 15psi steam is 250F, with tons of latent heat capacity. It'll bring a kettle to boil lickity-split! Need a condensate return and a pump for closed loop operation tho. Well worth the investment.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K