What still would you buy?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

What still would you buy?

Post by Mashy »

I recently sold a still and was wondering what you would buy if you had it to do over again? Right now I'm considering a HB FLUTE, Colonel Wilson 29 gal Blue Ridge or a Trident Welding 20 gallon still. My main interest is bourbon/whiskey. Right now the Trident rig is at the top of my list...

I already have a copper pot still head w/thumper and a PSII from Brewhaus. I want another still that can handle more volume and that is heated by electricity/element to get away from gas.

I would appreciate any feedback, advice or comments. If you have other places I should look and haven't I would love to hear about them. Experiences with any of the stills above or any other advice would be appreciated as well.
Mashy

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
Usge
retired

Re: What still would you buy?

Post by Usge »

If I had it to do over...I would have bought a good pot/kettle (if I had room..a keg) and built my still heads to start with rather than buy one. I would have taken 10' of copper tube...and built 3 different heads .

As to your parameters...The colonels stills are mostly like your PSII in design (they are all mostly CM designs). I'm not so sure how much you'd have to gain there. Also, he doesn't even make electric versions that I know of. I don't know Trident Welding...so can't comment on that. If your main interest is bourbon and whiskey...and you already have potstill,..I'd say you already have the right tool for the job. If you like your whiskey lighter...higher proof....you can run the PSII with reflux. If that's still not enough...you could try a LM boka, or if you want to go whole out...the new flute designs look promising. You can also "buy" one of those if you are so inclined.

But I'm sensing something is not quite right here. You already have all those stills (potstill, CM and some "other" still you sold)....and yet want to buy something else. Have you used them?? What is it that you are looking for that you have'n't found in what you have?? That would be the bigger question to find the right answer.

If you have't already, you might find this helpful to browse http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 72&start=0
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I'm with Usage, a keg still is the way to go, and I really think your putting the cart before the horse. Before you go spend 2k on a rig learn a little more about what you want to make and use the equipment you currently have to do it. You can do whiskey and rum on a cm rig, that's what I would do for until you get a good handle on it.

Now to answer your question.
Trident would be my first choice of the builders you mentioned. Jess has a really good reputation.

I do know another builder that does superb work but he doesn't do electric, he could set it up with a 2" triclamp and you could supply your own mk 5500. I'll pm you with the details.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

a lot depends on what sort of budget you have.
and how much you want to do yourself.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Usge wrote:If I had it to do over...I would have bought a good pot/kettle (if I had room..a keg) and built my still heads to start with rather than buy one. I would have taken 10' of copper tube...and built 3 different heads .
Usge, I am thinking a pot still and a reflux is your third head just for stripping?
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

I use my pot to strip with. Pot, boka, and bubble plate . That would be my 3. Course...the great thing is...as long as you have a pot/keg tri-clamp setup...you can "start over" anytime you want :) I finished the potstill/boka. Working on the bubble plate right now. VB is right...it really depends on how much you want to do. But, there's the entire range of offerings out there. I would suggest though at least making sure your starting with a pot/keg you can build on later.
Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mashy »

I ended up going with a 5 plate flute made by OD. Should ship out today.

I have a keg and lots of 2" tri clamps so I should be okay there. I think adding and element or two and a 1/2" ball valve will tide me over. I'm not sure about elements with grain washes but I do strain the hell out of them. Using a recipe I really like after tasting at the Oregon Distillers conference a couple weeks ago. 60% corn 36% Rye and .4 barley. Flaked grain is easy to get the starch out but a pain in the ass to deal with. Clogs the false bottom every time. Going to go the cheaper route and buy whole grains and a mill. Found a place that will ship you a 50lb bag of grain for $4.49 shipping. Baking/cooking grade grain as well. Here's the site if anyone is interested. They sell Millet as well. http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/wholegrainrye50lb.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Mashy

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

"Flaked grain is easy to get the starch out but a pain in the ass to deal with. Clogs the false bottom every time"

That's not true, whole grains will clog just the same ( unless the husk is intact like barley ). If they don't clog your not cooking it enough.

If your doing a corn based all grain whiskey ferment it grain. I've never been able to sparge corn worth a damn.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mashy »

Great information. I have enough flaked grain for another 10 gal batch. I'll try fermenting on the grain this time. Do u just draw the beer off the top or strain after it's done fermenting?
Mashy

rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I run the mash through a fruit press but if you don't have one a paint straining bag will work, although it's a little messy.

Keep us posted on your new rig, I'd like to know how it works out for you.
Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mashy »

Funny. I was having a hell of a time with all this last weekend and called my father in law about his cider presses. Sweated in out with squeezing though. A buddy of mine brews beer. He suggested one BIG grain bag. I loaded a pillow case size mesh bag with 20lbs of grain and mashed it. The idea is that it would be easy to strain etc. After mashing you put a ladders over you pit and hang the bag fron a shovel handle. Then twist the bag until its acting like a press. Sounds good but didn't work worth a shit.
Mashy

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

so what is the big deal? most distillers grain is ground finer than for beer,it is not fermented on grain. it is not spargd as beer.
so how is it done?
cook/convert grains,drain off beer into fermenter.(leave grain in kettle)
refill kettle with hot water.(or cold and heat).(use as much water as needed for next mash) then stir.
(while this is taking place you can start your ferment.(adjusting PH,adding yeast etc)
running still or whatever keeps you busy)
meanwhile your kettle will settle, just drain off water,into spare container ,if cloudy its ok.
git all water you can,then dump used grain,add water back to kettle,add
new grain,(adding grain while adding water is good)then start cooking.if doing large amounts a pump is much deeded, also
another container that will hold as much as kettle. all tubing, containers,pumps needs to be heat proof if doing while hot.
I was doing one ferment,and cooking one while distilling one. so you mite say I wa doing 3 at the same time just in diferant stages.one cooking,converting/one fermenting/one distilling.
if done right you can repeat this about every 3 days.
Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mashy »

Thanks for that. So you basically end up recycling so no good sugars get away? I'll give that a shot as well.
Mashy

rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

a pillow case isn't going to work, the weave is to tight. A grain bag is ok but a 2 dollar paint straining bag gets the job done.
Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mashy »

Thanks RD. I spent about $12 on the grain/brew bag that was the size of a pillow case and that was a fail. $2 is pretty darn cheap so my first move will be to go ahead and get some type of press. If worst comes to worst I can get a cider press from my father in law. Things weigh about 200lbs though. I have to come clean. I was so bummed about my last yeild (about 7 gallons) that I added 2.5lbs of corn sugar and 1.5 gallons of water to each fermenter. I cheated...already. Smells pretty nice though. The first batch of all grain was last weekend and you sure can't beat that taste. UJSM is pretty damn good but this all grain is just a different beast. Loving this hobby.
Mashy

violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

Mashy wrote:I ended up going with a 5 plate flute made by OD. Should ship out today.
good choice, OD makes some nice stuff.
Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mashy »

Hey thanks. I'm pretty excited. Jesse from Trident welding was a real personable guy. Felt like flying over there to have a drink with him. Different level of distilling though. Would have had to save for some time to get into one of his rigs. Some day I hope.

I noticed a thread of yours on the ADI sight. Looked very interesting. Kind of like the flute but all the plates were valved if I remember right.
Mashy

violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

Mashy wrote: I noticed a thread of yours on the ADI sight. Looked very interesting. Kind of like the flute but all the plates were valved if I remember right.
it has a valved plate drainage system, but the plates use bubblecaps.
I penned up the design a couple years ago, but was supposed to be 6". we decided to make it 4" to accompany the 30 gallon boiler, we'll eventually do the 6" along with a much larger boiler, but that could be a couple years.

The 30 galloner was designed as a hobby/pro crossover unit. we've seen some real interest from the Micro distilleries for proofing stills.
Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mashy »

Did you ever make any 30 gal boilers?
Mashy

violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

was supposed to be done already, but we're having troubles with the stainless factory, looking for another that can do what we want.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Dnderhead wrote: I was doing one ferment,and cooking one while distilling one. so you mite say I wa doing 3 at the same time just in diferant stages.one cooking,converting/one fermenting/one distilling.
if done right you can repeat this about every 3 days.
You were multi-tasking there Dnder!!