New Still

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

duplast20
Novice

New Still

Post by duplast20 »

Right, I'm going to make a new still.

I have this stainless drum thing that looks like it might be suitable, and, it already has some holes in the top.

I want to put it on it's side though, so will probably have to fill them in somehow, although, the tap might be a good drain point.

I will have to sand the rust off so it looks the part as well :)

I will take some pictures when I get home :)

This is all so exciting!!!!!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: New Still

Post by still_stirrin »

duplast20 wrote:....I will have to sand the rust off so it looks the part as well....
Rust? Is it carbon steel? Stainless steel shouldn't rust unless there is carbon steel embedded into the material. And then, you'll be hardpressed to keep it from rusting.

Photos please.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

How big is this drum thing?
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
Condensifier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Condensifier »

Yes, if it's stainless it won't be magnetic or maybe it will be slightly magnetic but maybe the rust came from some thing that was on or attached to the drum.

I'm looking forward to your build as I'm sure others are and yes, it is exciting.:D
duplast20
Novice

Post by duplast20 »

It's definately stainless, the bloke at the scrap dealer assured me of that.

How big? From memory it is about 124ltrs, I will measure it when I get home :)
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

That would be close to 33 gallons, a bit too big for our limit for hobby use. We have a maximum of 25 gallons for this site. Double check the material , as everyone has already advised , stainless should not rust.
duplast20
Novice

Post by duplast20 »

Oh, ok, I shall check when I get home :)

I rang the scrap dealer and he said that it was not unusual to see a bit of rust on stainless steel and it should just sand off.

I double checked that it was stainless and he says it is, he was a real nice bloke and I picked it up for a sweet price as well.

$240, considering it is stainless I thought that was a pretty good deal :)
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

First a plastic still and now a boiler bigger than hobby scale... Multiple coincidences, or trolling...??? One has to wonder...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

With home distilling being legal in NZ, I would hope that there are many (safe) better options for a hobbiest in the market to buy a still. Why anybody would use a plastic still is just crazy. I guess it's just an example of how a slick talking saleman can convince you to buy anything.

But once you're wiser to the dangers, the plastic stills would become obsolete. And likewise, the OP is in the process eliminating the dangerous still from his arsenal. Goodness, and evidence of enlightenment. Keep it up.

On a side note - the Duplast may be an acceptable still for purifying water. Just don't use it on alcohol.
ss
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I don't wish to be unkind but hands up who smells a rat :thumbdown:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

duplast20 is also InglisHill .And this kind stuff is what gets ya banned permanently.you would think a mod on another distilling site would not be this childish However a troll is a troll
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Tater That surprises me do you have proof?
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

We do.Its nothing that hasn't happen before and i suspect it will happen again .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Could a person with mutiple personalities have multiple memberships? Just wonderin'.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

In theory one personality would not know of the other account.

amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Post by amdamgraham »

Hi guys and gals, can you enlighten me a bit on this trolling thing? I've read through the thread twice and I don't understand what is going on. Is the idea here that someone is posting fake information and looking to just waste people's time or get you to recommend something highly illegal? What purpose would that be for? Sorry if this sounds naive but I don't get it- :?:
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

still_stirrin wrote:With home distilling being legal in NZ, I would hope that there are many (safe) better options for a hobbiest in the market to buy a still. Why anybody would use a plastic still is just crazy. I guess it's just an example of how a slick talking saleman can convince you to buy anything.

But once you're wiser to the dangers, the plastic stills would become obsolete. And likewise, the OP is in the process eliminating the dangerous still from his arsenal. Goodness, and evidence of enlightenment. Keep it up.

On a side note - the Duplast may be an acceptable still for purifying water. Just don't use it on alcohol.
ss
That was they only option for years until the T500 and other stills like it came out.
Before that was even worse. A 20l HDPE bucket with aluminium dome and copper coil in another bucket.

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Those who troll do so for any number of reasons... Suffice it to say that this site has seen more than its fair share over the years... A lot more work goes on behind the scenes than folks might imagine and management has to stay on its toes at all times... This site doesn't run itself...
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Thanks for moderating a great site. I have nore fun here than the last time I had a barrel of siberian huskies..
For everyone else that enjopys this site please hit the yellow like button below... Thanks

Carry On
RR
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

amdamgraham, to clarify what is suspected is that the original poster is purposely posting what he knows is not acceptable in terms of safety most likely just to get a rise out of certain members. That is the trolling here.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Tokoroa_Shiner wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:With home distilling being legal in NZ, I would hope that there are many (safe) better options for a hobbiest in the market to buy a still. Why anybody would use a plastic still is just crazy. I guess it's just an example of how a slick talking saleman can convince you to buy anything.
ss
That was they only option for years until the T500 and other stills like it came out.
Before that was even worse. A 20l HDPE bucket with aluminium dome and copper coil in another bucket.
To my knowledge that crap still was never available in Australia, I've only ever heard about it from kiwis, kiwikeg posted about it a few years back on one of the Aussie forums. We had shit stills make no mistake the you beaut cranky CM :roll: Still Spirits marble jobie the wonderful Supa Still by Essentica I think . 1980's and 90's saw some bullshit stills for sure and sadly you can still buy some of them and even worse crap coming out of Asia. I got some photos of some very cool refluxing type stills from the 70s and 80s on an old sim card around here somewhere i should round up and post for a laugh
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Tater wrote:duplast20 is also InglisHill .And this kind stuff is what gets ya banned permanently.you would think a mod on another distilling site would not be this childish However a troll is a troll
More importantly - I wonder about his motivation. Was this a childish prank, or was he trying to demonstrate some underlying problem with how we address controversial issues or misinformation?

Also, I was wondering why there isn't something in writing about not having more than one member ID, or maybe there is and I missed it. I can remember one other member doing this in the past and only receiving a slap on the wrist. Is there some prescribed protocol for how this infraction is handled? Should it be in "The rules we live by" so that a person would actually be aware of the rule?
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Different issues are handled different ways, we can't have a rule for everything or it would be five pages long. It's just common sense why things are set out how they are, I see no reason for.multiple accounts unless you want to hide something or cause trouble. You should know how this all works being a former mod cak?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Just sayin' - maybe his motivation was to neither "hide something" or to "cause trouble". Maybe it was to demonstrate a principle that seems to evade many here.

The operative word would be "former" mod. Forgive me for expressing an opinion. I thought that was still allowed.

I've belonged to other forums that DID allow multiple IDs. If it's that big a deal here that it could result in permanent banishment, maybe it SHOULD be written somewhere. I'm fully aware that it's not allowed, but others may not be.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

corene1 wrote: as everyone has already advised , stainless should not rust.
I posted about this sometime ago concerning several tiny, tiny pinholes in the bottom of my keg.Well, last week I dug it out to change the element and noticed even more pinholes and greater discoloration around that area.

hmmmmmm,.... ???? Took a #2 lead pencil and poked a big hole clean through the bottom. :shock:

Might cut the top off to inspect the inside and maybe repair with piece of SS brazed to the outside and use it as a BOP.

BTW, it's a 15.5 AB keg.
Blah, blah, blah,........
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Dang FMH, what kinda likker you makin' in that thang?
googe
retired

Post by googe »

The issue is WHY he used another account, not just because he had another account. Get it?. no one said you can't have an opinion? Maybe we should just let the forum run without any moderation, would be so.much nicer wouldn't it.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Powerful potions, SC, Powerful potions with a few chicken feet and some ravens blood thrown in. Did my best Zombie dance as well :lol:

Serious tho. 304 stainless is kinda utilitarian and really not all that high grade.

Consulted a guy with some metallurgy background and he opined that metals have a "surface skin" and that if any organic material had worked its way into the scratches it may very well have caused the the metal to degrade to the point that I described.

All over but the shoutin' now so maybe someday it can be resurrected as a BOP.
Blah, blah, blah,........
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Tater wrote:duplast20 is also InglisHill....However a troll is a troll....
Thanks Tater.

I tried to answer the original poster responsibilly. But I was very surprised by your revelation. I guess I am simply too nieve.

What could possibly be the motivation for someone to do this... to cause the forum turbulence, possibly to discredit it's validity? Or perhaps aggravate responders to the point they avoid responding and seek a different blog? Or possibly to set a trap, seeking unsafe or illegal guidance jeopardizing this site's liability?

Definitely, trolling can be dangerous to the fiber of this site and also to the "genuine" members here.

Thank you again, for the oversight and intervention. It's nice to know that "management" is close by.
ss
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Well now most kegs are not exactly 304 but a grade specific to beer kegs :thumbup: