Finally finished my Parrot!

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Finally finished my Parrot!

Post by npstephe »

So i've had most of this built for a while now but I finally got around to adding the filler neck and the output beak! :D

I have it soaking in a vinegar/water mixture right now to hopefully clean it up some on the inside, then from what I've read on here soaking it in a baking soda solution to neutralize.

I haven't decided if I will use it yet, but it sure does look impressive to have! I'm thinking I will use it on stripping runs but leave it out on spirit runs?

It takes around 200mL of liquid to fill it so it starts coming out of the beak, so on my next stripping run ill probably run the fores and some early heads thru it to clean it more. Then rinse and continue to use it.

I will eventually make a different base for it, but I had a 2x4 scrap laying around and just used it.

Ready to solder
Ready to solder
IMG_1056.jpg
Soldering the filler tube
Soldering the filler tube
Finished product. Cleaned it up a bit with dish soap.
Finished product. Cleaned it up a bit with dish soap.
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Finally finished my Parrot!

Post by npstephe »

Well now that it's built I don't think I will be using it much. It seems the more research I do on Parrots, the more people don't like them. Like I said in the OP, if I do use it it will only be for the stripping runs.

I have 16 Gallons of a 100% rye mash to distill this weekend so it'll get tested!
Devon
Bootlegger

Post by Devon »

You shouldn't let other people's thoughts and opinions affect your plans, I think a parrot is a great tool to gauge the output of the still.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

This part of the hobby is all you npstephe,dont let opinion on parrots sway you!
use it and make up your own mind weather you should or shouldn't

Nice work by the way!
It is what you make it
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

npstephe wrote:. It seems the more research I do on Parrots, the more people don't like them.
I find them very useful. The problem for us is the liquid volume of them is to large due to the size of the hydrometer we have to use, causes smearing on the spirit run.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Just add a 1/4" dump valve on the bottom and the smear problem is gone. I have mine attached and gives me good info along the run. Like Bent said try it and make up your own choice.

AC
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Pesty wrote:
npstephe wrote:. It seems the more research I do on Parrots, the more people don't like them.
I find them very useful. The problem for us is the liquid volume of them is to large due to the size of the hydrometer we have to use, causes smearing on the spirit run.
One of the members found a very short alcometer somewhere on Ebay. Building a short parrot to match would lessen the smearing I would think.

tp
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

I can see their use for stripping runs, and I will probably use it for those. But for spirit runs I will most likely leave it off in fear of smearing.

The 100% rye was pretty much a failure. I strained all the grain out and the wash was still like a thick soup. We even did a protein rest when mashing. It got seriously scortched on my internal element, which I have never had happen. I heated it up around half power (1375W) and it still puked with only 8 gallons in the keg.

Never got to producing so the parrot never got tested.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Don't worry about too much smearing from the parrot, as you get to know it and your still, you'll be able to do great cuts., Personally, I use it on my pot still for every run, stripping or spirit. I can tell what's being produced by the proof and when there isn't enough left to play with. Each to their own.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

npstephe wrote:...The 100% rye was pretty much a failure. I strained all the grain out and the wash was still like a thick soup. We even did a protein rest when mashing...
Mashing rye is another ballgame all together.

Rye is very high in beta-glucans, and if that sounds like "glue", it should. Beta-glucans are long chain carbohydrates that make the mash very viscous and sticky. A gluconase rest where the enzymes reduce the glucans is key to mashing with rye. But the rest temperature is lower than a protein rest temperature. The enzymes are more effective around 90-95*F. You need to do the glucan rest before the protein rest.

I have never attempted a 100% malted rye mash. But I have done several 60/40 rye/barley mashes. And I ALWAYS do a glucan rest with rye. If not, the runoff is so sticky and viscous that I can't sparge it. Rye makes a "spicy" beer and I'm sure that the character in a distilled product would be similarly spicy. A 100% rye may be too much, it would be for me at least.

I suggest starting with not more than 50/50 rye/barley and always do a glucan rest. See how that works first before raising the rye percentage.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

still_stirrin wrote: Mashing rye is another ballgame all together.

Rye is very high in beta-glucans, and if that sounds like "glue", it should. Beta-glucans are long chain carbohydrates that make the mash very viscous and sticky. A gluconase rest where the enzymes reduce the glucans is key to mashing with rye. But the rest temperature is lower than a protein rest temperature. The enzymes are more effective around 90-95*F. You need to do the glucan rest before the protein rest.

I have never attempted a 100% malted rye mash. But I have done several 60/40 rye/barley mashes. And I ALWAYS do a glucan rest with rye. If not, the runoff is so sticky and viscous that I can't sparge it. Rye makes a "spicy" beer and I'm sure that the character in a distilled product would be similarly spicy. A 100% rye may be too much, it would be for me at least.

I suggest starting with not more than 50/50 rye/barley and always do a glucan rest. See how that works first before raising the rye percentage.
ss
SS thanks for the comment. Before attempting the 100% rye, I did a ton of reading on the subject and bought a bottle of small batch 100% rye to make sure I liked it. I agree it is a bit spicy for my taste but a friend of mine likes it and wanted to try it. He's an all grain beer brewer so between us I figured we could do it. We used his RIMS system with a very thin mash to keep and raise temp after the mash in.

Glucan rest is what I meant. From what I read, around 110-113F was a good rest to do if doing a single rest. we did this and it was thinner, but still thicker than I was used to. Maybe we should have done the rest at a lower temp like you suggested and done multiple rests.

Before this, I had done a 68% Corn, 28% Rye and 4% Barley mash and didn't run into any issues not doing a rest. 100% Rye is a different animal. It will be my last attempt at a 100% rye. Not worth it in my opinion. I may end up having to buy another heating element. :evil:

Luckily only half the mash got scortched. I didn't attempt to run the other half. What I think we will do is make a bourbon mash of 68% corn/16% rye/16% barley, which I have made and aged before with good success, and mix it together with the 100% rye leftover. This will hopefully give us a rye spice that is not overwhelming and a more complex taste. From my calculations we will have a final grain bill of 51.37% Rye/39.37% Corn/9.26% Barley. We will see how it goes!