how do you connect worm to pot top

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chateau de Nerf Pomp
Novice

how do you connect worm to pot top

Post by Chateau de Nerf Pomp »

Hokay how do you attach the end of the worm to the top of the pot?

Drill a hole in the lid that matches the OD of the copper coil and seal it up with flour and water?

Glue a cork to the pot lid and jam the worm tube down into it?

Or what?
Liquor up front, poker in the rear.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: how do you connect worm to pot top

Post by still_stirrin »

No glue....bad idea!

Why not use a compression adapter? Its threaded on one side with a compression ferrule and nut on the other. Available in lead-free brass.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Chateau de Nerf Pomp
Novice

Post by Chateau de Nerf Pomp »

hey thanks! I had never heard of a compression fitting before duh :oops:
Liquor up front, poker in the rear.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Ancient Chinese Secret :mrgreen:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
MrHammer
Novice

Post by MrHammer »

A brass floor flange works well also
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 On the compression fitting.

You may consider a stainless steel one, they are cheap on E-bay these days.
You'll have to replace the compression ring with a copper one, though.
Remember to buy a lock nut too, while you are at it (two if your hole is larger than the threads).
The fitting on the picture fits a 1/2" tube, I'm just guessing this is your size tube for the worm and you connect it without a riser.
Wrap it with some PTFE tape and it won't leak.
Never use any kind of synthetics or glue, for the parts of the still that has contact with your product.....never!
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Exactly!
For extra filling I made a few rings of some leftover copper and a bit of PTFE tape.
These fittings I use now as much as I can to connect pieces. They can be removed, while solder can not, and they can close at least up to 3 bar when applied to a straight (not bended) pipe. If very seldom they do drip a wee bit during a run, I wrap PTFE-tape around the spot.
They are available as end, straight, knee, T and even X. Just go and look in your local hardware store.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

MrHammer wrote:A brass floor flange works well also
A brass floor flange would likely contain lead whereas even brass plumbing fixtures would either have very low yet acceptable levels of lead or no lead at all... Therefore, a brass floor flange would not be a good choice... Even brass plumbing fixtures should be tested for lead unless the labeling explicitly states the lead content, or lack thereof... Please refer to Rule #8 of The Rules We Live By...
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

MrHammer wrote:A brass floor flange works well also
I considered that too, but can you screw it airtight on the lid? Don't you need to solder it?
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Rad

Lead has been banned in plumbing fittings for years now. Still,there may be some older fittings around (or imported once) that contain lead.
Any other part machined out of brass, will most likely contain lead and/or zinc to make the part more malleable.
Such parts would be a poor and dangerous choice, as the lead will leach into your spirits.
You probably wouldn't notice it until it's too late...there is no cure for lead poisoning...so stay away from that stuff.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Specific Release Limits in European Union in mg per kg food:
Pb 0,01 mg/kg
Ni 0,14 mg/kg
Cr 0,25 mg/kg
Cu 4 mg/kg
Zn 5 mg/kg
Fe 40 mg/kg
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Danespirit wrote:+1 Rad

Lead has been banned in plumbing fittings for years now. Still,there may be some older fittings around (or imported once) that contain lead.
Any other part machined out of brass, will most likely contain lead and/or zinc to make the part more malleable.
Such parts would be a poor and dangerous choice, as the lead will leach into your spirits.
You probably wouldn't notice it until it's too late...there is no cure for lead poisoning...so stay away from that stuff.
Older or not, lead has not been banned in drain pieces, just supply. I believe this is what Rad is getting at.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Hound Dog wrote:

Older or not, lead has not been banned in drain pieces, just supply. I believe this is what Rad is getting at.
Actually, considering how a floor flange is not a plumbing component it may not have any restrictions with regard to lead content at all... Floor flanges are used to anchor hand rails, closet rods, etc, and were never intended to be used in contact with any potable liquids which therefore exempts them from virtually all materials regulations...
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

rad14701 wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:

Actually, considering how a floor flange is not a plumbing component it may not have any restrictions with regard to lead content at all... Floor flanges are used to anchor hand rails, closet rods, etc, and were never intended to be used in contact with any potable liquids which therefore exempts them from virtually all materials regulations...
True, I was thinking floor drain.... :oops:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.