Flux and Solder Question

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tzzler44
Novice

Flux and Solder Question

Post by tzzler44 »

I've already done a couple joints so this might be a day late and dollar short, but I want to be sure I"m being safe:

Does it matter what solder or flux I use so long as both are leaf free? For example, some flux specifies that it's water soluble.... and as luck would have it that's not the flux I used. I used the flux that came with the bernzomatic plumbing torch kit because it's what I had laying around.

Am I good to go or am I gonna end up poisoning myself?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Flux and Solder Question

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

You want water soluble flux.
Even lead free flux contains nasty chemicals that need to be cleaned away.
Switch to the water soluable now and physically clean the joints you have already done if you can reach them with a brush or rag.

The pasty stuff is just much more difficult to wash out with cleaning runs.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
tzzler44
Novice

Post by tzzler44 »

Alright, I'll do the rest with water soluble. Would the vinegar cleaning run and sacrificial alcohol run take care of the nasties that might be present? I'll get to what i can with a rag and some dawn.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

tzzler44 wrote:Alright, I'll do the rest with water soluble. Would the vinegar cleaning run and sacrificial alcohol run take care of the nasties that might be present? I'll get to what i can with a rag and some dawn.
It may take several cleaning runs to remove non-water based flux... Regardless of what you use, it ain't clean until it's clean... Several members have had to do two or three cleaning run sequences to get out stubborn contamination that ended up tainting spirits, rendering them undrinkable...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

rad14701 wrote: It may take several cleaning runs to remove non-water based flux... Regardless of what you use, it ain't clean until it's clean... Several members have had to do two or three cleaning run sequences to get out stubborn contamination that ended up tainting spirits, rendering them undrinkable...
that be me. if i remember right it was 4 each.
dont waste your time with paste
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

jedneck wrote:
rad14701 wrote: It may take several cleaning runs to remove non-water based flux... Regardless of what you use, it ain't clean until it's clean... Several members have had to do two or three cleaning run sequences to get out stubborn contamination that ended up tainting spirits, rendering them undrinkable...
that be me. if i remember right it was 4 each.
dont waste your time with paste
i stepped in that pile of poo too. (that was after much steaming, water an vinegar and gallons of distilate collected...it still had flux) what worked for me was a 14 hour soak in 7%pickling vinegar, undiluted...then another steam, water and vinegar and (yet) another sac. :wtf:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
tzzler44
Novice

Post by tzzler44 »

How does one know for sure when it's clean?

I only used the non water soluble Flux on the bottom of the column and where the coil goes though the cap. I can soak those in vinegar.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

How do you know that a dish is clean... visually if you can see to inspect.
Otherwise, steam, vinegar and water,then alcohol until the sacrificial alcohol is clear. Clean is clean.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

You may want to use a little acetone and a long handled brush to get to areas with the regular flux. Get everything you can phisically clean before doing the sacraficial runs for cleaning.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
tzzler44
Novice

Post by tzzler44 »

Just started 15 gallons of sugar wash fermenting, I'll let it ferment out then clear up for the sacrificial run. In the meantime I still need to build the liebeg condensor and add that and a needle valve to the boka.

I'm thinking i'll go with this for the valve https://www.amazon.com/Trerice-735-2-Ne ... edle+valve" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Look on line for copper mesh instead of scrubbies. It is usually sold as a pest control barrier. Snails won't cross it for some reason.

Also your valve is chrome plated brass. Look on ebay and find a stainless one for 20 bucks or just get a lead free brass one from Home Depot if you don't worry about the brass thing. Getting my flame suit on now.
Using Google Search

tzzler44
Novice

Post by tzzler44 »

Damn Hound Dog, you replied before my edits took place haha. I'm going with Mesh instead of scrubbies. Does the valve HAVE to be a needle valve or would a small ball valve be ok? Apparently the needle valve is better for precise adjustments?

***EDIT**** I'll just go with this valve, look ok? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBON-STEEL-NE ... OSwwE5WVf6~" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Gotta be quick! That valve is steel and will rust. Type stainless steel needle valve in at eBay and you will get a bunch. Or use a lead free brass valve, it will work better than chrome or carbon steel.
Using Google Search

Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

If its not to late I would change your take off tube to 3/8" instead of 1/4". Also would go with a 3/8" Stainless Steel needle valve with PTFE packing/seat. Your link on ebay shows a carbon steel valve.
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Deerhunter wrote:If its not to late I would change your take off tube to 3/8" instead of 1/4". Also would go with a 3/8" Stainless Steel needle valve with PTFE packing/seat. Your link on ebay shows a carbon steel valve.
+1 on the 3/8".
Using Google Search

tzzler44
Novice

Post by tzzler44 »

Ah, good look on the carbon steel. Why the 3/8" tubing? I've already soldered on a 1/4" take off tube, but I suppose I could replace it if 1/4 will give me flow issues
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Depending on your column Dia. (assuming your going with 2") 3/8" would be a plus. Especially when doing stripping runs, and running in pot still mode. As far as solder go with Harris Stay-Brite 8 and there liquid flux Stay Clean.
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
tzzler44
Novice

Post by tzzler44 »

Affirmative on the 2" column. I messaged you back, deerhunter