Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

My Pot Still

Post by Mr Sippy »

This is my completed still. I have not run anything through it yet
20161218_155757_001.jpg
The boiler cylinder is 14.5 x 22 inches and holds about 15.7 gal. The thump keg is 10 x 18 inches and holds about 6 gal. The condenser can be attached to the boiler only or to the thump. I had 20 oz copper from a previous project to make the thumper, frustum, and pans. I bought a 24 x 36 inch sheet for the still boiler $125 shipped. The stainless fittings were about $150. The copper pipe (mostly offcuts) was free from my plumber neighbor but I purchased most of the fittings, about $80, I think. Soldering supplies were about $50 and I probably have $150 into the heating and controller.

This was my first metal working project and there is little continuity in the construction method. I made the thumper first using a lock seam and solder. With the quadrupled thickness and small diameter I had trouble forming a nice round. It was shaped like a cam (slight lobe) and was difficult to solder in the bottom pan. The top used a 4" pipe to hold the fill port ferrule and 2" couplings flanged to accomodate the pipes. It was hard to solder the the 4" pipe to copper sheet so I used a copper wire to provide a little more 'meat'.
20161229_130437.jpg
The ferrule wouldn't fit in the 4" pipe so I split it and soldered in some wire
20160522_133226_001.jpg
I flanged the couplings by heating them and forming over a lip. It took about 6 or 7 heatings to complete. Then I riveted and soldered them to the top
20160606_190638_001.jpg
For the boiler I used a riveted lap seam. It resulted in a cylinder much easier to work with. I used online calculators get a frustum template; one for dimension of the solid, one for a projection to a flat surface. The differences are small but mine worked out real nice. I made a little jig to hold it circular and flat while it got riveted and soldered. This time I soldered the fill port ferrule to the frustum sheet with a copper wire interface. Much easier.

The jig can hold the boiler and frustum in a nice circle. Inverting the whole assembly allowed for a plumb level and tight fit. The holes in the jig are space to tack 4 points. Then I slid the jig off the bottom, laid a long piece of solder around the perimeter and just heated the copper until the solder flowed. It was my best and easiest joint.
20160802_170055_003.jpg
The boiler cap is is a 4" pipe (true size) capped with copper plate made from a split and flattened pipe scrap. The ferrule didn't fit the 2" pipe either but a muffler pipe expander fixed it nicely. I put a connection there so one could swap out the lyne arm for a reflux column
20161229_134831_001.jpg
I guess I am only allowed 6 attachments so no more pics. The rest of the plumbing is 1.5" pipe. Both vessels have drains. The heating element is 5500W. For water flow I put a 25 psi pressure regulator on the input side and a valve on the output. Somehow I misplaced a fill port cap and had to order another. That is all that is keeping me from its inaugural vinegar run.

I got a lot of good ideas from here and I wish I could give credit where due but my records aren't that detailed. Thank you for looking at my build and I wish I could show more pictures

Cheers
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My Pot Still

Post by sltm1 »

May I be the 1st to congratulate you on a very nice build!!! Please let us know how she performs.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'll be second . Nice work .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Congrats!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Very nice work.
I like the big ferrules for access and cleaning, might need to add those yo mine ... :idea:

Having a nice wood shop sure makes working with copper easier, eh?

Congrats on the still, it will serve you well for a lifetime, cheers!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Nice and compact!
Some wheels and then you can roll where ever you want!
Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Post by Mr Sippy »

Thank you gents for the praise.

Kareltje: the cart is on lockable casters but they're hidden from view.

I can add more photos now. Here are some detail pics:

Water service
20161229_195909_001.jpg
Boiler drain. The mount is 4 plates of pipe split and formed to radius. The 2 inner pieces are a little smaller with a solder bead around the edge. The drain cut its own threads into the mount then soldered. It took several attempts before there were no more leaks. The thumper doesn't really need a drain- I did more for a symmetrical look
20161229_200140.jpg
Elec connection. Formed another split and flattened pipe to fit the octagonal box and soldered it to boiler.
20161229_200128.jpg
The top is hinged so I can remove the boiler
20161229_195934_001.jpg
Condenser based on Brutals design
20161229_200213.jpg
Time to get some mash going!

Cheers
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Nice setup. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it.

Cheers
Chris
OldMedUser
Novice

Post by OldMedUser »

That's some sweet unit Mr. Sippy! :clap:

Very inspirational and makes me go Hmmm . . .

Peace
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Don't know how I missed this when it was first posted, that is a thing of beauty! Nice job sir!
city shiner
Bootlegger

Post by city shiner »

That is one beautiful unit! Anyone would be proud to own that!
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Very nice. I see a cart in my future now.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Don't know if I like the still or your shop better......

A+ on that build!! :thumbup:
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

Great job!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Shoutatthesky
Novice

Post by Shoutatthesky »

I'm not sure which I like more, your still or your workshop!