torch problems.

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

city shiner
Bootlegger

torch problems.

Post by city shiner »

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I have a cheapo pencil flame torch and a mapp gas cylinder. I was annealing some tube and all of a sudden the flame went out. Cylinder is brand new. Happened twice. Could this be because I'm holding it upside down? I got to close to my work? Or I was pushing to much mapp through the torch and not enough O2 was getting in to keep the flame going? I'm stumped.
city shiner
Bootlegger

Re: torch problems.

Post by city shiner »

I found the answer on benzomatic's website. A non regulated torch held upside down will extinguish the flame.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Even propane torches can have the same issue if the flame is adjusted upright and then turned upside down... The issue is that when upright the head is fed gas but upside down it is fed liquid which turns to gas as it exits the metering orifice below the adjustment valve... I have had to change adjustments in order to keep the flame alive more than a time or three...

Edited to add: Essentially what you discovered on their site...
city shiner
Bootlegger

Post by city shiner »

Thanks for the reply Rad! I had a pair of vice grips holding hot copper one hand and a torch spewing mapp gas out in the other hand. No safe place to put the copper. It was an "aww Fuck me moment". So now I'm going to keep a bucket of water near me. It is ironic, cause I'm building a 1.25x1x.75 a bit taller than yours. I thought to myself, "If Rad had seen this he would tell me that the time to fill the bucket with water is before you need it". And then you commented on here....lol. Safety first, even if you're not stillin'!